Need raccoon recipe!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ma got tired of masked visitors on the deck while she was trying to relax in the hot tub. So me being the good son I am, I set out some traps this weekend. Well my son went out to visit today and came home with a nice young coon all cleaned up. I try to teach my kids to eat what they shoot, so now I need your help. Recipes and advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ma got tired of masked visitors on the deck while she was trying to relax in the hot tub. So me being the good son I am, I set out some traps this weekend. Well my son went out to visit today and came home with a nice young coon all cleaned up. I try to teach my kids to eat what they shoot, so now I need your help. Recipes and advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bunch of glands to remove and lots of fat marbling ,my uncle did the cleaning/I did the killin and the cur did the treeing so cant help much/Ed

The young ones should be good just like a young deer or anything meat wise I would think.
A landowner I hunt with prefers coon. I haven't tried it.
I would cook it till tender then fry. Everything is good fried!
They can get rabies, so no thanks. I'm not that hungry.

Haven't heard of any rabies around, but we have blue tung. All of the biggest bucks have all died. Found a dead doe about 20yds from one of my game cams on Saturday. It was looking like a great year for deer hunting, big bucks, weird bucks, and lots of does and fawns. Now you hardly see any.

Was thinking of throwing it on the gas smoker myself. Let the grease drip out and see what it's like when it's done everything is better cooked in a smoker, right?

My father was an avid coon hunter. We often had up to 9 dogs in the kennel. We ate racoon frequently. My mom would line a baking pan with foil. Cover the coon with BBQ sauce. Close the foil loosely over the coon and bake in the oven until falling off the bone tender. Pulled coon is delicious.

My dad usually uses a pressure cooker to loosen up the meat.
Then he debones them, putting the meat in a crockpot and adds bbq sauce for a few hours of slow cooking.

YouTube has some good videos about cooking coons. Andrew Zimmerman did a couple.

I’ve cleaned and eaten them for many years. Skin em and cut as much fat out as you can. There’s a lot. Render it if you want . Remove as many glands as you can. There’s big glands in the neck and armpits. Put the carcass in a roaster, with a rutabaga cut into bite sized pieces, and a bag of baby carrots. Cover it with 2 big cans (quarts?) of cream of mushroom soup and a packet of McCormick Mesquite spices. In the oven at 350 degrees for 4 hours. Better than venison!

Back