Need suggestions for cheap rifle kit.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Hey everybody I have an extensive collection of rifles mainly modern but I am looking to fill a void.

It occurred to me that it would be pretty cool to have an old fashioned flintlock rifle. I noticed that there are many do-it-yourself kits out there. I think that would be pretty fun as long as they all assemble properly. So your suggestions may include kits or completed rifles but I prefer to go the kit route if possible.

What I'm asking and what I need help with is the cheapest working kit for a preferably flintlock or if not something that takes a cap. There's got to be one brand or style that's the cheapest entry level type thing that's what I'm working for. Honestly I doubt that this gun will be shot very much however I would love to hang it on my wall.

I may even entertain used one however I doubt that they would be in proper working condition considering the age.

I think the best deal you'll get today will be the Traditions Hawken Woodsman flintlock rifle kit. It's available from Muzzle-Loaders.com for a little over $ 500.00.
It's a decent entry level gun. I've done several Traditions kit guns over the years and they are not very difficult to finish. A little sanding here and there mostly. Generally speaking, the parts all fit together quite well.
There's a guy named Jim Kibler, who sells some very nice rifle kits but you'll pay big dollars for one. His guns are the top of the line though.

Okay I know I said flintlock but I do have special birthday pricing at Midway and came across this what are you guys think? I have a fairly healthy selection of number 11 caps.

They also sell a kit that is similarly priced that has what appears to be the stock in one piece rather than two.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220707-134157601.png
    Screenshot_20220707-134157601.png
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220707-134206294.png
    Screenshot_20220707-134206294.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
Most people generally have fitments problems with the two piece stock. The brass spacer doesn't always line up right.
It's fixable but usually needs more work.

Most people generally have fitments problems with the two piece stock. The brass spacer doesn't always line up right.
It's fixable but usually needs more work.
After watching a few videos on these assembly kits it scared me away from the kits I'm just going to purchase the rifle ready-made for an additional $75 I don't have the tooling necessary and I'd probably screw it up by sending too much off and rushing myself.

I figure if they can sell me a complete rifle with the parts already fitted if I ever wanted to change the color of the stock I could sand it down and stain it something similar.

At this point the traditions Kentucky is the percussion cap style it looks pretty good I'd rather have a flintlock but for the price it'll be a nice addition. Plus it'll give me a chance to use some of my number 11 caps which I purchased for my cap and ball revolver which I rarely shoot.

After watching a few videos on these assembly kits it scared me away from the kits I'm just going to purchase the rifle ready-made for an additional $75 I don't have the tooling necessary and I'd probably screw it up by sending too much off and rushing myself.

I figure if they can sell me a complete rifle with the parts already fitted if I ever wanted to change the color of the stock I could sand it down and stain it something similar.

At this point the traditions Kentucky is the percussion cap style it looks pretty good I'd rather have a flintlock but for the price it'll be a nice addition. Plus it'll give me a chance to use some of my number 11 caps which I purchased for my cap and ball revolver which I rarely shoot.
I agree, for a few more bucks it's worth the peace of mind.
Those are very accurate rifles with the patched ball.
I have the mate to the Kentucky, mine's the Tennessee rifle.
Same slow twist barrel.
You'll have to experiment with different patch, powder and ball combinations.
My gun likes the .495 ball, .010 cotton patch over 75 grains of 3f Swiss black powder.

So I went a little wild and purchase two rifles. I got something kind of cool and I didn't even know they made these... It's a modern flintlock with the synthetic stock.

And of course I ended up getting that Kentucky rifle. Also purchase. 490 balls and. 0 1 0 patches. I also picked up some bullets I needed for my carcano reloading. And here I am about $800 later. Still not bad considering I got all that stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-013638961.png
    Screenshot_20220708-013638961.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220708-013609037.png
    Screenshot_20220708-013609037.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
What you bought is cool !! what you got is the addiction bug. Sorry, they say its worse than crack without the ill side effects. Good luck with your 2 new rifles and keep us informed on your progress...🍻🍻

You'll need good flints for the deerhunter. I have black English flints but I've heard that the French amber flints are better. I guess it depends on who you ask, Lol.
I by mine from Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading. I think you'll need the 1/2x5/8?

Perhaps next year or sooner. A .32 cal would be a fine addition.

Questions I have now are... Do I need 4f for the pan? I have 2f, crush it with a non metal not static device to 4f maybe? Use a wooden dowel?

Second one is about the patch. Think .010 is to thin with a .490 ball? I got some .015 too. I placed an order on ebay for those.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate itas I am new to Flint lock business.

4f powder for priming the pan is best but you can make do with 3f. Some people even use 2f.
Lol I think you type this as I was typing one of my questions thank you you've been a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate it a lot.

Any idea on those patches? I'm worried about scoring the bore.

Lol I think you type this as I was typing one of my questions thank you you've been a wealth of knowledge. I appreciate it a lot.

Any idea on those patches? I'm worried about scoring the bore.
I shoot a lot of round ball in my guns. You want to use a 100% cotton patch. Thickness wise, you won't really know until you start.
Depending on which gun I'm shooting, I'll use anything from
010 up to .018.
I would stay away from those prelubed type and get dry patch material. There's about a million recipes out there for home made lube.
I generally use precut but I also have cut strip material that I finish cutting at the bore with a patch knife.
When I'm at the range, I mostly use the spit patch method. Simply place the patch in your mouth to dampen it.
For hunting, I lube my patches with good old Crisco.

Just to add, you want a good snug fitting patch but not so tight as to need a hammer to beat it down the barrel and you don't want too loose either.
You'll discover what your gun likes as you go.

Sounds like some experimenting in order. I purchased dry 0.15 the .010 is prelubed. The projectiles are .490 I may buy .495 down the road but for now I want to adjust patch size.

I also now finally can use the crisco I bought. I got it years ago for my bp cap and ball before making my own out of beeswax and olive oil.

Sounds like some experimenting in order. I purchased dry 0.15 the .010 is prelubed. The projectiles are .490 I may buy .495 down the road but for now I want to adjust patch size.

I also now finally can use the crisco I bought. I got it years ago for my bp cap and ball before making my own out of beeswax and olive oil.
Sounds like you're heading down the rabbit hole, Lol.
The .490's should serve you well.

Back