Need suggestions for cheap rifle kit.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself one of them squirrel rifles, in a percussion. I am in the near future...
If your talking about the traditions.32 Crockett, it’s a great rifle, very accurate, minute of squirrel all day long. As to other kits I personally love them, not so much to save money, you don’t, but I can make it mine.

Lol only thing is I'm now suspicious of midway's birthday pricing. Compare the two screenshots.

I still think it's a good deal though.

Upon further review I see an issue the birthday pricing wasn't the price they charged me when I checked out they charged me $268 which is what they're selling for now I contacted them and we'll see what happens it's a small overcharge on that one item as far as I can tell I don't know what the other stuff was. The difference is $23 something cents..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709-014700695.png
    Screenshot_20220709-014700695.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Was it already on sale? I don’t think you get the birthday discount on items already on sale or discounted.
No doesn't look like it. Might be a glitch unless it went on sale right as I checked out. But neither case I don't think so because there's some stuff that was on clearance that I got birthday pricing as well.

Not a lot of money but enough to be annoying. Especially since moments before I added it to the cart I have a screenshot showing it at a lower price.

No doesn't look like it. Might be a glitch unless it went on sale right as I checked out. But neither case I don't think so because there's some stuff that was on clearance that I got birthday pricing as well.

Not a lot of money but enough to be annoying. Especially since moments before I added it to the cart I have a screenshot showing it at a lower price.
EFD41193-7AD7-43CF-B6AC-B24EB7FCB3B6.jpeg

It's possible like I said for the few seconds that I looked at it took the screenshot added it to the cart and then checked out they changed the price. However still kind of bad that they wouldn't give you the lower of the two prices on your birthday.

Example is if the sale price is only discounted 5% and your birthday discount is 16% even at regular price you would be paying less with the birthday discount.

It'd be really cool if they could just give me a gift card for the difference.

Again not sure what happened i looked at it one price minutes later added it to the cart and checked out and it came up a different price.

Status update Midway issued a refund for the difference once again excellent customer service from Midway. I think I might be a customer for life and they'll be getting large orders on my birthday.

I have to hand it to muzzleloaders.com for not artificially inflating prices on the CVA wolf like others have I've seen them go for $400 and that's without the scope package.

I tell you what I'm getting really really tempted to purchase a 50 cal percussion pistol. This time though I think I may go kit. If those Kentucky percussion pistol kits ever come back into stock they're only about 200 bucks and I'm buying it. Then again completed pistols only about 30 bucks more. Same dilemma different firearm. Lol

Hey guys toys arrived right on my birthday how fortuitous!

So far so good can't wait to shoot her maybe tomorrow probably next week though.

Everything appears to be fairly perfect except for a little spot on the stock. There's also some holes on the stock where they use putty I'm assuming in the manufacture.

After seeing the rifle completed one of these days I will purchase a kit for a rifle and try to put that together for now the kit for the pistol is coming tomorrow.

I'll take a picture of the spot on the stock that I'm talking about not a big deal but it's still something I think might have been a spot of glue where the stain didn't adhere properly.

16577764261164108958981451490847.jpg
IMG_20220714_012254_470.jpg

It's hard to see in the photo but there's a white spot next to that pin that I was talking about it looks like flash on the photo.

In either case it's no big deal I'm sure the stock is going to get a few dings in it eventually. Then that little white spot in the varnish will be the least of my issues. I do kind of wish that they'd fill in those holes they made with brass instead of wood putty.

One day I made by a kit and try my hand at it.Screenshot_20220714-112807091~2.png

Hey everybody I have an extensive collection of rifles mainly modern but I am looking to fill a void.

It occurred to me that it would be pretty cool to have an old fashioned flintlock rifle. I noticed that there are many do-it-yourself kits out there. I think that would be pretty fun as long as they all assemble properly. So your suggestions may include kits or completed rifles but I prefer to go the kit route if possible.

What I'm asking and what I need help with is the cheapest working kit for a preferably flintlock or if not something that takes a cap. There's got to be one brand or style that's the cheapest entry level type thing that's what I'm working for. Honestly I doubt that this gun will be shot very much however I would love to hang it on my wall.

I may even entertain used one however I doubt that they would be in proper working condition considering the age.
If it is a wall hanger you need not worry about condition just how cheap you can buy it, but if it is a shooter take out a loan as it pays to own shoot the best and resale is often more than paid . The function between those choices are like winning the lottery and your paycheck as a newspaper boy not an exaggeration ! I like Kiblers SMR too /Ed

Latest posts

Back