Needing some help (delay firing model 700 ML)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own 3 rem 700 ml and your nipple is the problem your loosing a lot of Spark out the side of nipple. Also the nipple recess in the breach plug and your loosing spark there to.
If you shoot loose powder then you won’t have a problem with the current nipple.
If you want to shoot pellets you will need to convert it or buy the T/C musket cap flamethrower the flash hole goes out to the tip of the breach plug putting the spark closer to the pellets.
Also take the fire pin out of the bolt and clean it.

Attachments

• 426F7136-9652-4625-AF64-58E6F65BFD19.png
    426F7136-9652-4625-AF64-58E6F65BFD19.png
    704.1 KB · Views: 0
Had the same issue with my 700 ML years ago . I would lean towards the bolt being fouled from blowback slowing the striker. I tried everything and finally got the conversion from derfhunter on this site, similar to Badger Ridge .Problem solved. Will also be able to shoot the elusive and expensive BH209 if you want.

This is what my main spring and firing pin look like. That little sleeve on the end I haven't seen on any other firing pins. Is there a specific 209 firing pin I need to use? Again I bought this used and when I fully took the bolt apart, there was rust, and was really bad. Cleaned it up pretty good. But trying to get this spring off to get the firing pin loose. I'm probably going to buy the firing pin removal tool from Brownells. But again, this looks different than any other mainspring and firing pin I've seen. If anyone has a link to a mainspring and firing pin, please link it to me, might just buy a new one. Thanks for all the help guys

Attachments

• PXL_20221022_025912802.jpg
    PXL_20221022_025912802.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This is what my main spring and firing pin look like. That little sleeve on the end I haven't seen on any other firing pins. Is there a specific 209 firing pin I need to use? Again I bought this used and when I fully took the bolt apart, there was rust, and was really bad. Cleaned it up pretty good. But trying to get this spring off to get the firing pin loose. I'm probably going to buy the firing pin removal tool from Brownells. But again, this looks different than any other mainspring and firing pin I've seen. If anyone has a link to a mainspring and firing pin, please link it to me, might just buy a new one. Thanks for all the help guys
I dont know about the firing pin or hammer but i have heard about a better spring. Wolff Gunsprings makes this one.(Doc White mentioned putting it in an S91?) its 29# vs the OEM 26#.

https://www.gunsprings.com/REMINGTON/700 MUZZLELOADER/cID2/mID108/dID213

That is a remington 700 ML firing pin.

The spring is the same used in the model 7 rifle F15411:

Replacement Mainspring for Remington 700 Muzzle Loader ML and Model 7 rifle

More info is available at the link above... the pic below may help you... switching to our sealed breech 209 system will fix just about all your rifle's woes (assuming you perform proper cleaning/maintenance procedures, safe loading practices, have dry powder/primers etc).

786792182_orig.jpg

A number of years back I had the same issues with Winchester primers and lost all confidence in them. Now I use Federal 209A's and issues completely resolved.

Iv'e came to the conclusion that the fire channel through the nipple is too small and any fouling at all inside of there is causing the delay.
This can happen if you are getting blow back. That carbon needs to be cleaned out with a hand held drill bit. Usually 1/8" size. You will be surprised how much you get out.

I appreciate all the help guys, I ordered me a Badgerridge conversion kit. Am excited to get it! Tired of worrying about the blow back and maintenance. Really appreciate all the help guys. makes me feel very welcomed. Will update you guys when I get it and get it installed! Hopefully goes smooth. Going to take my time.

You just officially joined the club now with the Badger Ridge upgrade.
Good move for the 700. It make them shoot!
Lol
I think I definitely made the right move! Too many people have said such good things. Kind of stupid to not do it considering how much I love the 700, and I know with the right stuff it's a shooter.

I appreciate all the help guys, I ordered me a Badgerridge conversion kit. Am excited to get it! Tired of worrying about the blow back and maintenance. Really appreciate all the help guys. makes me feel very welcomed. Will update you guys when I get it and get it installed! Hopefully goes smooth. Going to take my time.
This is the way.

Back