NEF Huntsman PR breech plug issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PewPew

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 2003 huntsman .50 cal. It still had the factory breech plug that required the orange discs. After some research I purchased PR's 209 direct fit breech plug ⅞" for the NEF huntsman. From what I've heard its a "plug and play" plug. The new plug installed as it should. It appears to be setting at the correct depth. I went out today to test it out... 209 primers don't fit in the 209 direct fit breech plug. I couldn't get the primer past the rounded edge (not the flange, the rounded edge at the bottom of the primer). They're NSI primers. I don't dare get rough with it. I like my fingers the way they are. Anyone else dealt with this? I intend on getting a hold of Cecil.

I was looking around on the web and see that they made a breech plug that accepted .25 ACP primers. Don't know if that's what you have?

Here's a picture of the plug/primer. You think a different primer will be that drastic of a difference?

Attachments

• 20200825_194156.jpg
    20200825_194156.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 14
Those are European?

Appears that way. They were with all the other muzzle loading supplies. These were the only ones that came in a 100 pack. Being new to muzzle loading i didn't spring for the 1000 pack of Winchester 209s.

I bought the NEF 209 direct fit plug from PR. I could be wrong (obviously), but it looks like it should fit. Are LR primers similar in size? Or any other type of primer for that matter. I'll take the plug to the ammo shop tomorrow to see if anything else will fit in there.

Attachments

• 20200825_200653.jpg
    20200825_200653.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8
Those primers in your photo are probably some kind of weird metric size.
Good idea to bring the plug to a gun shop.
If you don't already have, get some breech plug grease. Lube up the threads on the plug before you reinstall it.
You don't want to shoot the gun with a dry plug, you may not be able to remove it otherwise.

I'll try some non European 209s tomorrow. If that doesn't work they should be able to machine the pocket a fuzz. Thanks for the grease tip. I had a hunch they should be greased. I'd love to struggle with a siezed breech plug. :D

If you can use 209 primers, try to buy some of the "regular" Winchester 209 shotgun primers. They come in a small blue box. Usually half the cost of "muzzleloader" primers. Federal 209A primers are good too.

IIRC, the PR plugs are supposedly machined to fit the Winchester 209 primer, but if that is a tight fit the Federals are a hair smaller.

You should be correct. Cecil just got back a hold of me and told me those plugs are meant to hold Winchester 209s. Whoops, my bad. Thats what I get for being ignorant and cheap! Ha! Thanks for all the tips.

I would think so. Notice that they're for shot shell reloading. Avoid anything that says specifically " 209 muzzle loader primers" and you should be good. Get your primers in a shot shell reloading section of the store.

Back