Nevada specific muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Marcum

Reaction score
So it looks like in Nevada you have to use percussion ignition if I'm reading the regs correctly. Getting enough points in NV for deer and elk to take a serious look at a rifle since it looks like you cannot use 209 ignition. What do you guys who hunt Nevada use for rifles?

So it looks like in Nevada you have to use percussion ignition if I'm reading the regs correctly. Getting enough points in NV for deer and elk to take a serious look at a rifle since it looks like you cannot use 209 ignition. What do you guys who hunt Nevada use for rifles?
Can you use a scope there?

You cannot. Iron sights or peep. Looks like black powder or bp sub but can use sabots. Also percussion ignition. Hate the use the old Renegade .54 after using the inline TC Triumph :)

Shot a pile of elk with the Renegade over the years however. Just have to get close. I guess my farthest one was maybe 90 yards with a good rest. Lots at 50 yards or less.

In Iowa, it says this and 209 primers are legal:

MUZZLELOADERS: Flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and .775 caliber shooting single projectiles

says wheel locks, flint locks, percussion, dunno I prolly should check to make sure. So you can use an inline during shotgun deer season now huh? Grew up in Northern Missouri and had a bunch of fraternity brothers from southern Iowa. Did lots of bird hunting and saw lots of nice deer but just never got around to hunting them.

I guess it does say primer or percussion cap in the regs. I assume a 209 shotgun primer then qualifies for percussion ignition source. I have a call in to NDOW.

Just heard from NDOW and 209 Shotgun primers are allowed for percussion ignition which simplifies my life for sure. I did not read it this way.

I wish the states would be more specific in their descriptions of what is legal and what is not legal. It seems they would specifically identify 209 shotgun primer use being allowed.

I guess Wyoming is the most nebulous when it comes to their description of a legal muzzleloader.

Back