New .40 Cal Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I got the new .40 Cal Mold from Accurate this morning, Mold #40-172L Inspired by Lyman 40143, As usual it’s a VERY HIGH Quality bullet mold :lewis: I poured some up for testing.

Sized to .401 and ready for testing, They weigh less than a 1/2 Grain of eachother
PWmdKBq.jpg

177 Grains with my Certified 1-40 Alloy, They should be Right at 178 Grains when poured of Pure Lead
9ojYiYJm.jpg

Straight From the Mold they are .403
K19L4Vbm.jpg

Sized to .401, This Lee .401 Push Thru Sizer is Spot on :lewis:
mqne410m.jpg

And a Comparison beside my Bullshop 460 Grain .50 Cal Bullet, These Little .40s sure are Cute little Fellas :D These will No Doubt be FUN/Pleasurable to shoot!! The Little Seneca Rifles will Man handle these Day in, and Day out no problem :lewis:
28w0L0wm.jpg

My other guns are gonna gather dust

These are cool little Rifles that’s for sure! :cool: Very lightweight, nimble little Guns! Bucking up, and Having them Re Bored was the way to go :lewis: Wait til you shoot yours, You are gonna love it!

I use to feel sorry for Lewis for having a pitted 36 caliber Seneca barrel, now I wish I had one to send to Bobby Hoyt.

I just poured up plenty for testing. These small cavity molds sure pour consistent. Once i felt good that i had the mold up and ready to start keeping, i poured about 65 Bullets, I weighed every bullet, ZERO rejected, all 65 were less than a 1/2 Grain of eachother, 176.6 to 177 :lewis: I have a .398 Sizer on it’s way, This Bore is TIGHT, I loaded a .401 Last night and would be REALLY happy with it as a Cold Clean Bore Hunting Load, Nice n Solid all the way down, They would NEVER Budge off the powder! But for Target/Bench shooting i prefer to “Bore Ride” There’s no need to engrave/Push Bullets down from a Shooting Bench, unless i was Preparing to hunt. Lee Shaver’s gave me that Tip for Target shooting, Size the Bullet where it Just “Kisses” the Riflings on the Way down. It DEFINITELY works, I have shot most of my Very best groups like that

0Rpv2Eam.jpg

Lew, just curious as to how you know when your mold is ready to start casting consistent bullets? I generally insert one end of my mold into the melted lead for about 45 seconds and generally cast about six bullets before they start looking good to me.

Lew, just curious as to how you know when your mold is ready to start casting consistent bullets? I generally insert one end of my mold into the melted lead for about 45 seconds and generally cast about six bullets before they start looking good to me.

Ed, That is exactly the method i use as well :lewis: My Steel Accurate Molds require a little more Time in the Lead as they are Thicker/Heavier than a Lyman, Aluminum is Way less Time. Sometimes i get them a little to Hot, And it takes a Few minutes and Casts for the Temp to Drop a Little. I have a Number of 10 Cast and Drops before i Start keeping, I would bet that the 10 i am throwing back are Good Bullets, But I don’t even Bother looking at them, Just Cast, Dump them. After 10, I start keeping. I stil Don’t take 1 second of time to look at them, I just Keep Casting til I’ve had enough. I can adjust the Flow on my “Modified” Bottom pour Pot to Fill a 650 Grain Mold Cavity in no more than 1 Second flat!! I can restrict the Flow Down for Smaller Cavity molds. Speed is the Key to Success for me, Being able to Fill Big Molds Fast :lewis:

Ed, That is exactly the method i use as well :lewis: My Steel Accurate Molds require a little more Time in the Lead as they are Thicker/Heavier than a Lyman, Aluminum is Way less Time. Sometimes i get them a little to Hot, And it takes a Few minutes and Casts for the Temp to Drop a Little. I have a Number of 10 Cast and Drops before i Start keeping, I would bet that the 10 i am throwing back are Good Bullets, But I don’t even Bother looking at them, Just Cast, Dump them. After 10, I start keeping. I stil Don’t take 1 second of time to look at them, I just Keep Casting til I’ve had enough. I can adjust the Flow on my “Modified” Bottom pour Pot to Fill a 650 Grain Mold Cavity in no more than 1 Second flat!! I can restrict the Flow Down for Smaller Cavity molds. Speed is the Key to Success for me, Being able to Fill Big Molds Fast :lewis:

Hi Lewis,
Could you tell me what the modification is that's needed to make your bottom pour pot useful to fill big bullet cavities with pure lead? I assume you're talking about a Lee pot?

Tired of having to drag out my old Coleman gasoline stove to get the lead hot enough and pour out of a big serving spoon!

Latest posts

Back