New .54 Cal Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We better behave . I heard the fun police are out.....
Better go back to topic......:D

useta have a savage model 110 chambered in 7mm. rem. mag. almost every time I shot her, she scope bit me.

Thats alot of bullet for a 1 in 48 , truthfully i personally doubt it . Seen stranger things happen though . One way to know for sure.......

Believe it or not, It actually does shoot REALLY well in a 1:48 Twist :lewis:

Here is why, For Comparison, BIG Bullet on the Left, And my .54 Cal 460 Grain Lyman Plains on the Right, The Lyman Plains Bullet is a VERY WELL Proven Bullet in 1:48 Twist, even my 1:28 Fast Twists. As we know, With .54 Cal it doesn’t take much length to make BIG Weight FAST. Look at these 2 Standing beside eachother, There isn’t much Difference in Length here, and only 60 Grains more Weight. Look at the Bearing Surface, Almost the same! This BIG Bullet is 1 of my Very Favorite .54 Cals, in EVERY Twist
9VTd5iXm.jpg

Believe it or not, It actually does shoot REALLY well in a 1:48 Twist :lewis:

Here is why, For Comparison, BIG Bullet on the Left, And my .54 Cal 460 Grain Lyman Plains on the Right, The Lyman Plains Bullet is a VERY WELL Proven Bullet in 1:48 Twist, even my 1:28 Fast Twists. As we know, With .54 Cal it doesn’t take much length to make BIG Weight FAST. Look at these 2 Standing beside eachother, There isn’t much Difference in Length here, and only 60 Grains more Weight. Look at the Bearing Surface, Almost the same! This BIG Bullet is 1 of my Very Favorite .54 Cals, in EVERY Twist
9VTd5iXm.jpg
Thats good news for Leadball !!!!

Not really I'm still searching for a muzzy,don't have one yet quit shootn years ago now I want to start up again I do like 54s a lot but not much supplies in the stores I have everything to cast my own except a mould if I do go 54 what's a good mould to buy?

Not really I'm still searching for a muzzy,don't have one yet quit shootn years ago now I want to start up again I do like 54s a lot but not much supplies in the stores I have everything to cast my own except a mould if I do go 54 what's a good mould to buy?

The Lyman Plains is an AWESOME Bullet, and one i ALWAYS Highly Recommend. 50 and 54 Cal, It’s a Readily Available Lyman Mold. They are a Tapered Design Bullet like a Maxi Ball. The Taper is the only thing that I am not Crazy about, And the Reason i had Custom Molds Made. I prefer my Bullets to Be the Same Size from Bottom to Top Band, I Rather Push Them Through a Correct Sizer Per Bore Requirement. That said, The Lyman Plains Bullet in 50 and 54 Cal Shoot as good as Any of my Custom Made Molds/Bullets. It’s a Darn Good Bullet

Thanks I was looking for a inline like a 54 fire hawk but I might go back to a Renegade I have had both and like them equally I really don't care I just want to start shooting 45, 50, 54, or even 58 I just have to trade or sell my shotgun and that is proving more difficult than I thought it would

Thanks I was looking for a inline like a 54 fire hawk but I might go back to a Renegade I have had both and like them equally I really don't care I just want to start shooting 45, 50, 54, or even 58 I just have to trade or sell my shotgun and that is proving more difficult than I thought it would
Check and see how many more posts you gotta have before you can sell it here on MM . I believe its 25 and youve been talkative !!! :thumb: Lots of pics help !!!

Hey Lew, is that mold for the .54 from Accurate Molds? The 54-510M?

And how dost thou thinketh the .50 cal version would do in a 1:28 twist inline? (If your answer is "good", what's the AM catalog number for the fifty?)

Hey Lew, is that mold for the .54 from Accurate Molds? The 54-510M?

And how dost thou thinketh the .50 cal version would do in a 1:28 twist inline? (If your answer is "good", what's the AM catalog number for the fifty?)

Yep that’s the one, All i did Differently is Do away with the Bevel Base, And went with a Straight Flat Base (Not that the Bevel hurt anything) Just a Personal preference thing.

The .50 Cal Version is 51-450M, And When i upgraded to a Steel Mold i made the Same Changes to it as i did the .54 above (54-510M) No Bevel Base, and Instead of a Taper, I went All Bands the Same Diameter (.503) I prefer to Size my Bullets per bore.

Here is the .50 Cal in 1 of my 1:28 Twist Sidelocks

Last edited:
The .50 Cal Version is 51-450M, And When i upgraded to a Steel Mold i made the Same Changes to it as i did the .54 above (54-510M) No Bevel Base, and Instead of a Taper, I went All Bands the Same Diameter (.503) I prefer to Size my Bullets per bore.

So, how do you do away with the taper? Do you specify that in the order form, or order it oversize so the narrowest part is to bore diameter, then size it?

And I know you bottom pour, but do you think it would be better for a new caster to ladle pour so that the pouring pressure is consistent? I've been told that the bottom pour pots can change pressure as the lead runs low.

Latest posts

Back