New Arrowhead SML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muggles

Reaction score
With much anticipation I received my new Arrowhead Muzzleloader from Luke. Rem SS 700 action, 26 inch heavy contour (#17) Brux 1-20 twist stainless barrel, AGC Gladius stock Desert Night color. I had a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger installed topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS Firedot Scope. Hawkins Ultralight Tactical Rings atop Luke's new design 20MOA base. Rifle comes in a little under 14 lbs. Sorry for not posting any pics at this moment, I am completely computer illiterate, but Encore offered to post some should I be intelligent enough to transmit some to him.

Unfortunately, my range is closed until September 1st so I have to wait to shoot and that only an 100yd range. Won't be able to stretch it out until October when I head over to hunting camp to get setup for the coming season.

Luke sent 100 of his new No Size 300gr XLD bullets and I look forward to giving them a try. I ordered a Lee Hand Press and Swinglok die to go with everything and adjusted it to size Hornady 300 gr XTP bullets to load with the same resistance as the No Size bullets to start. I have studied and researched constantly over the last few months and now it will take experience to put it all together.

Really want to publicly thank Encore50 for all the patience he displayed in answering all my rookie questions and providing seasoned insight and advice on this process. He saved me many $'s and frustration of trial and error.

Well you're welcome. All I did was explain how I went through money like it grew on trees ;)

I'll post them all. You're really going to like the rifle and once you find the right combo, it'll all be up to you.
I just love the more vertical grips on these stocks. I use the top shelf to rest my thumb on vs wrapping it around the stock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks, I really appreciate the assist. Yes, I have a lot to do once they open the range. Even with your sage advice I still went through a box of money, but it will be worth it in the enjoyment I have hunting and challenging myself at the range in the future.

You are a good man, intelligent, good looking and a scholar. Take good care of yourself, there aren't many of us left! :roll:

Beautiful Muzzy you have there fng! Yes they are a "box of money" but they are worth every penny. Luke does a hell of a job. Best of luck to you this season!

Thank you rp10ml. Yes, Luke does an excellent job and I am so much looking forward to giving it a try.

Just for the record, I finally took her out to the range and gave her a go. After two fouling shots with two Hornady XTP 300's I loaded up with Luke's new NSR XLD 300gr bullets and shot a quarter inch 3 shot group at 100 yds. Hats off to Luke for both the rifle and the bullets. Finest, most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Was extremely surprised. Used Luke's recommended max load for this rifle of 80gr H322. Was expecting .460 Weatherby recoil and ended up with the same recoil I get from my custom Rem 7mm/.08 Heavy Barreled gun. Feel like I could shoot this thing all day long. I would have no hesitation whatsoever to groundhog hunt with it.

Next is to work up a load for 8208XBR powder. Between the H322 and the 8208XBR hope to have a very temperature insensitive hunting load.

Once again, much thanks and respect to Encore50 for his patience and shared experience. I hope karma rewards him tenfold and look forward to passing it forward in his name.

Just for the record, I finally took her out to the range and gave her a go. After two fouling shots with two Hornady XTP 300's I loaded up with Luke's new NSR XLD 300gr bullets and shot a quarter inch 3 shot group at 100 yds. Hats off to Luke for both the rifle and the bullets. Finest, most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Was extremely surprised. Used Luke's recommended max load for this rifle of 80gr H322. Was expecting .460 Weatherby recoil and ended up with the same recoil I get from my custom Rem 7mm/.08 Heavy Barreled gun. Feel like I could shoot this thing all day long. I would have no hesitation whatsoever to groundhog hunt with it.

Next is to work up a load for 8208XBR powder. Between the H322 and the 8208XBR hope to have a very temperature insensitive hunting load.

Once again, much thanks and respect to Encore50 for his patience and shared experience. I hope karma rewards him tenfold and look forward to passing it forward in his name.

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

BDH, thanks for the kind words. I would best describe the loading force as being done with one hand firmly without much strain. I think Luke nailed it. Wish I could shoot good enough to tell if the gun shoots better once the barrel gets broke in a bit more. I would most highly recommend both the Arrowhead Rifle and NSR XLD Bullets.

Back