New boat.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmer,

Can I ask where you got the Sun Dolphin?
We had a Bass Hunter 2 man pontoon for many years and the hull is getting cracked now. I was looking at this same boat you got. Can't find one and on one site looks like they might be stopping Manufacturing those? Don't know if that is true or not. with a little trailer that would tow great behind my Subie Forrester.

I collect boats like some collect rifles. I own 4 and have partial ownership in a houseboat on Lake Powell (weeks are available at an unbelievable price if you're interested). My favorite is my 13' Gregor with a 20 hp Honda on it. It zips. My Crestliner has a Lowrance fish finder, and I love it. It has GPS, so you can track back in the dark and know you won't hit any rocks. It shows the original river channel under the lake, so you can stay in deep water. Enjoy.

Jimmer,

We had a Bass Hunter 2 man pontoon for many years and the hull is getting cracked now. I was looking at this same boat you got. Can't find one and on one site looks like they might be stopping Manufacturing those? Don't know if that is true or not. with a little trailer that would tow great behind my Subie Forrester.
They did stop manufacturing them. I picked this one up used. Pelican makes a good boat and they are more customizable than this one. Brows the internet, you'll find one. Home depot sells them.

I collect boats like some collect rifles. I own 4 and have partial ownership in a houseboat on Lake Powell (weeks are available at an unbelievable price if you're interested). My favorite is my 13' Gregor with a 20 hp Honda on it. It zips. My Crestliner has a Lowrance fish finder, and I love it. It has GPS, so you can track back in the dark and know you won't hit any rocks. It shows the original river channel under the lake, so you can stay in deep water. Enjoy.
If you have some info on the house boat I am interested in a Powel trip. Thanks!

Jimmer,

Pelican makes some nice boats just like the sun dolphin. The Bass Raider, Intruder, and Predator are very similar.

https://pelicansport.com/collections/boats/Fishing

They did stop manufacturing them. I picked this one up used. Pelican makes a good boat and they are more customizable than this one. Brows the internet, you'll find one. Home depot sells them.

Thought that might be how you got yours. I had looked at the HD web site and could not find one, or any other site. Like someone else said Boats are a bit hard to get at the moment. From the pictures I had liked the Sun Dolphin more than the Pelican, in the stern seating area. I'm in no hurry though. We fish mostly smaller lakes in SE Ohio My Dream boat is a Lund Fury. I love the Lay out of the Tiller model.

Pelican makes some nice boats just like the sun dolphin. The Bass Raider, Intruder, and Predator are very similar.

https://pelicansport.com/collections/boats/Fishing

I saw the Predator and its nice but the molded seat mount in the stern looked a bit too bulky. I never got a Jon Boat because I hate the bench seat. The Bass hunter and Pelican Raider is similar in that respect too. I troll a good bit and hate sitting straddling it. I like to be able to swivel more freely.

I saw the Predator and its nice but the molded seat mount in the stern looked a bit too bulky. I never got a Jon Boat because I hate the bench seat. The Bass hunter and Pelican Raider is similar in that respect too. I troll a good bit and hate sitting straddling it. I like to be able to swivel more freely.
I had an older Pelican Bass Raider 10E. Loved it! I took the seat brackets out (tired of hitting my legs) and made my own base out of wood covered with boat carpet. I filled the area between the hulls with foam. This thing was stable! Why did I get rid of it? It was stolen. On to the Sun Dolphin. Maybe I’ll fill it with foam as well. These little boats are great to customize and are great for small waters. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

I took the seat brackets out (tired of hitting my legs) and made my own base out of wood covered with boat carpet. I filled the area between the hulls with foam. This thing was stable!

So you made a floor of wood for the pedestals and attached hat to the plastic floor? Would you happen to have a pic of that? Sounds real interesting.

The one we have is a Bass Hunter it came from Bass pro I think, my brother bought it. I can't remember how old this one is but its been with us a long time. It has been a great boat. I do like that you can move the seats back and forth to better balance the boat. They are real stable too, like you say. I just hate that you have to straddle the seat mounts, or bang mu legs like you say, but they are better than a bench in a Jon boat. Most of the time I am trolling I put my feet up on the side of the pontoon instead of straddling it. This one is getting old and parts of the hull are cracking. We stop drilled a couple of them and filed the cracks with Silicon Adhesive. The Hull is full of foam on these between the top and lower half's. I had thought of making a new mount that is lower and can have a short pedestal mount attached but did not seem like it was worth it for the old boat. If I understand correctly what you did I wish we had thought of that.

I did see a old guy at one of the lakes we fish that had the neatest little one man boat I ever saw. I can't remember the name of it though. I saw him coming in and could not figure out how he was being propelled since I could not see any motor or the control head for a trolling motor, so I stuck around to chat and see how it was made. It was a modified pontoon style one man and it has foot pedals for both sides. There were Tunnels/tubes molded into the pontoons and inside each tunnel had its own Trolling motor inside it. So no hands needed to operate the motors, just foot controls, and the props were protected from rock and stumps since they were inside the tunnels. Very cool little boat.

So you made a floor of wood for the pedestals and attached hat to the plastic floor? Would you happen to have a pic of that? Sounds real interesting.

The one we have is a Bass Hunter it came from Bass pro I think, my brother bought it. I can't remember how old this one is but its been with us a long time. It has been a great boat. I do like that you can move the seats back and forth to better balance the boat. They are real stable too, like you say. I just hate that you have to straddle the seat mounts, or bang mu legs like you say, but they are better than a bench in a Jon boat. Most of the time I am trolling I put my feet up on the side of the pontoon instead of straddling it. This one is getting old and parts of the hull are cracking. We stop drilled a couple of them and filed the cracks with Silicon Adhesive. The Hull is full of foam on these between the top and lower half's. I had thought of making a new mount that is lower and can have a short pedestal mount attached but did not seem like it was worth it for the old boat. If I understand correctly what you did I wish we had thought of that.

I did see a old guy at one of the lakes we fish that had the neatest little one man boat I ever saw. I can't remember the name of it though. I saw him coming in and could not figure out how he was being propelled since I could not see any motor or the control head for a trolling motor, so I stuck around to chat and see how it was made. It was a modified pontoon style one man and it has foot pedals for both sides. There were Tunnels/tubes molded into the pontoons and inside each tunnel had its own Trolling motor inside it. So no hands needed to operate the motors, just foot controls, and the props were protected from rock and stumps since they were inside the tunnels. Very cool little boat.
I used a 2x12 cut to fit between the rails, find a piece of wood that fits in the rails, 2x12 was a little thick but sturdy. It was movable and had a large post and swivel for the seat. I would take the seats out every time I used the boat as I left it on a private pond. I don’t have pictures as the boat was rather weathered and ugly.

I used a 2x12 cut to fit between the rails, find a piece of wood that fits in the rails, 2x12 was a little thick but sturdy. It was movable and had a large post and swivel for the seat. I would take the seats out every time I used the boat as I left it on a private pond. I don’t have pictures as the boat was rather weathered and ugly.
Ok. Thats similar to what I was thinking I would do. :lewis:

Back