New Bullet to Test (The 395 Grain SPHP)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small hole guages work beautiful for this . I have a Starrett set . Wish i could find some bigger than the .510 or so my largest one will adjust to . Id like another one with a .500 to .600 range ability . They come 100/200 , 200/300 , 300/400 , 400/500 in a set . Sized pins go bigger but arent real handy or totally precise to take to look at a new gun prospect and measure it there . I got my set off of ebay pretty cheap used . Nice tools for a rifle !!! No guesswork !!!
I have a set of Starrett spring loaded hole gauges, look like a t with a knob at the top to lock it in. They would work if you could keep the ends on the lands. There are six of them and you can check holes from 5/16” up to 6”

I have a set of Starrett spring loaded hole gauges, look like a t with a knob at the top to lock it in. They would work if you could keep the ends on the lands. There are six of them and you can check holes from 5/16” up to 6”
I got them too . Tough to use for a rifled bore !!! These ones got a ball end where the T end is thats split in two . They work good in a rifled bore .

Are these bullets too short to stabilize out of a 1:20" twist barrel?
They are .50 caliber. Not aware of any 1:20 twist .50 cals out there. They are 0.810-0.812 long (my sizer slightly cups the base) that length in a .45 1:20 would probably need around 60 grains of powder to shoot decently. I would start at 50 grains and work up. BP or BP subs.

I've been shooting the Accurate 50-345M which is only .720 long out of my White Mountain Carbine (1-20" twist) with no issues so I don't see you having a problem with a bullet that's .810 long.

I've been shooting the Accurate 50-345M which is only .720 long out of my White Mountain Carbine (1-20" twist) with no issues so I don't see you having a problem with a bullet that's .810 long.
I wasn’t aware Doc built a 1:20 twist .50. I thought they were all 1:24. Learn something new every day.

The White Mountain Carbine was made by Thompson/Center, with various rates of twist, at different times in its history.

I believe that the .50 caliber rifle came in 1:20", 1:28", and 1:48" twists at differing times during production.

I think the .54 caliber was always a1:48" twist.

Someone more familiar with T/C firearms may correct me here if I am wrong.

Yes, I should have mentioned that Thompson Center made the White Mountain Carbine - WMC.

The WMC was first offered in 50 Caliber (approximately 1990 ) with a 1:20 twist then about 2 years later TC started manufacturing them with a 1:38 twist.

The WMC was also offered in 45 & 54 Caliber but both of them were only offered with a 1:48 twist.

While we're on the subject of 50 calibers with 1:20 twist, TC also made the Tree Hawk that was like a carbine version of their New Englander . The Tree Hawk was offered with a synthetic stock and the whole gun (Lock, Stock and Barrel) was camouflaged.

So if you want to try these 395 SPHP bullets or some much longer bullets here a few more options.

Yes, I should have mentioned that Thompson Center made the White Mountain Carbine - WMC.

The WMC was first offered in 50 Caliber (approximately 1990 ) with a 1:20 twist then about 2 years later TC started manufacturing them with a 1:38 twist.

The WMC was also offered in 45 & 54 Caliber but both of them were only offered with a 1:48 twist.

While we're on the subject of 50 calibers with 1:20 twist, TC also made the Tree Hawk that was like a carbine version of their New Englander . The Tree Hawk was offered with a synthetic stock and the whole gun (Lock, Stock and Barrel) was camouflaged.

So if you want to try these 395 SPHP bullets or some much longer bullets here a few more options.
I should have known that from all the times I’ve searched “White” in BPR on Gunbroker.... just read it too fast I guess...

Back