New Bullets Big Problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duck_slayer69

Reaction score
Thanks for the add, I’ve a good amount of experience and proficiency but I am scratching my head.

New load, BIG problems. Searching for wisdom or similar experiences. (Sorry about the novel)

My normal very successful and accurate load is; 100 grain 777 (2 pellets), 250 grain TC shockwave or Hornady SST, Federal Fusion 209 ML primers. I have misplaced or possibly shot up my stash of bullets and had to purchase what I could scrounge up.

I ended up getting 295 grain Powerbelt Copper aerotips and 250 grain Traditions carnivore at Wallyworld.

I shot all three poles Monday. Detail cleaned them all that night, barrels/chamber dry w/o oiled patch ran through.
Optima V2 (2018), Optima Pro Magnum (2004), Traditions Tracker (~2012?)

Tuesday I shot all three first load 250 TC shockwave 100 grain 777 same box as night before, loaded hard as normal and shot great. Second shot from Pro and Tracker I used 2 pellets 777, 250 grain Carnivore that loaded notably easier and rammed to the witness mark on ramrods and seated it how I normally would. One hangfire and way off, and one of them tossed fireballs and spark show with no recoil and bullet didn’t make it to target. After I shot primer through both ran a patch down both and tried both ramming harder than normal and softer that normal, of the 4 shots only one fired normally. I tried switching to pyrodex pellets for a couple with similar results.

Tried the 2 pellets 777 and 295 Powerbelt (these loaded VERY easy) in all three with similar/worse results. I even put in magnum charge 150 grain 777 in the V2 with very little recoil, and flaming pellets going down range- the bullet at least struck/bounced off board 4 feet low @100yards. I was starting to run low on 777 so I tossed another down range with the V2 and 100 pyrodex, and it fired properly 5” from bull.

I am basically left thinking the primers maybe don’t agree with the easy loading bullets and were possibly blowing bullet and pellets forward increasing chamber size and the pressure was never great enough to seal and engage the rifling.

I know Powerbelts are common and if everyone had these issues they wouldn't still be on the market.

Breech plugs flame channel carboned up, not enough fire getting to the powder.

When I was having all the problems my procedure was every other shot: Wire cleaning the primer orifice, very mild wet patch down and back, 2 dry patch front and back, fire primer check orifice, Load charge. I poked a wire through every shot because I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!

Here is a picture for illustration purpose.
For my Knight Rifles I use a simple 5/32" bit - epoxied into a Stick to get the job done

Long-BP-Cleaner.jpg

bp_diagram.jpg

FWIW I have NEVER had consistent results from PELLETS be they Pyrodex or 777. From the moment they are manufactured they appear to start absorbing humidity and the performance starts to degrade. Powerbelts have never performed well for me both on paper and in deer nor have I ever witnessed someone that has been able to get consistent groups with them. They are not a good choice in my opinion.
I suggest that you ensure that your breech plug is clean, use real black powder, a 1/8 felt wad and try some Hornady Great Plains bullets.
Your mileage may vary but I seriously doubt that it will not be a dramatic improvement.

Welp, went hunting this morning.

Loaded a 250 TC Shockwave I found in my field tube from last year and 2 pellets 777 being it was shooting well for me Monday until I tried Powerbelts and the other. Figured it was the best chance I had given the circumstances I put myself in.

Dropped doe @ 170 yards. Shot at time walking out barely got out of the yard and not even into the woods.

I will be picking up some blackhorn 209 and loose 777 for next season and plink around with my load more. I am just giving up on Powerbelts and traditions I read a few other posts around FB having identical problems.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_074946314_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20201205_074946314_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
Nice doe, glad your rifle went bang when you wanted it to. :lewis:
You and I both! I was 85% sure if I did the same as last time it was good it would work, but my most recent experience at the range left strong doubts.

Still have my receipt, what're the odds they refund a satisfaction guarantee?

At home doing full service I do use a bit, at the range I use a retractable one.

You really need to get in the practice of taking the appropriate drill bit to the range with you too. The carbon in the flame channel not only restricts the flame travel but it acts as a heat sink and robs flame temperature from the ignition too.

In the gun you show in the picture you don't even have to remove the plug to run the bit into the channel quick and if you bring along a can of compressed air, like what you'd use to blow dust from your computer keyboard, you can blow any chips that don't fall out when you pull the bit back out of the channel.
Most often its just little, easy to over-look, things that cause the biggest problems. The bit and canned air are some of the cheapest insurance items you can carry and both of these are found in my field pack.

You really need to get in the practice of taking the appropriate drill bit to the range with you too. The carbon in the flame channel not only restricts the flame travel but it acts as a heat sink and robs flame temperature from the ignition too.

In the gun you show in the picture you don't even have to remove the plug to run the bit into the channel quick and if you bring along a can of compressed air, like what you'd use to blow dust from your computer keyboard, you can blow any chips that don't fall out when you pull the bit back out of the channel.
Most often its just little, easy to over-look, things that cause the biggest problems. The bit and canned air are some of the cheapest insurance items you can carry and both of these are found in my field pack.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions! I will for sure be doing both in the future, both seem cheap and effective

Back