New CVA Optima suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetop01

Reaction score
I just purchased a CVA Optima combo, from what I have read the gun seems to be a good choice. I will most likely replace the scope at a later date but I will give it a go for this upcoming season. My main question is I am new to inline guns after many years of round ball PA flintlock hunting. The modern loads, bullets, primers and powder are all new for me. From what I have read it seems the suggestion is to start by getting a BH breech plug and use the 209 shotgun primers, I found the breech plug online and it seems the stores around here have limited stock so I am thinking I should just order the rest of what I need online also. I would appreciate any help and guidance that can be given. Thank you TT

Great to see you joined the forum. This is the best place to get advice. The guys on the forum have helped me tremendously. You did indeed make a good choice with the Optima. It will shoot a variety of loads very well. 290 grn Barnes tez. 300 grn Hornady xtp. I shoot the xtp with a harvester short smooth black sabot. The tez with supplied sabot. 100 grns black horn.

My kids have the same weapon, the load they shoot is BH209 110 grains by volume, and a 250gr hornady sst, we started with T7 pellets but have changed to BH209, previously with pellets we used 3 pellets and the 250gr hornady sst they shot 2 deer last year one at 80yrd and the other at 130yrd, the only kill with the optima after changing to BH209 was a coyote at 223yrd good luck

I have an Optima V2 and I am starting my third season hunting with it.
I find it to be very accurate and not bad to carry into the woods.
I use 110 grains do blackhorn 209 and 300 grain scorpion pt gold bullet in the crushed rib sabot.
I have not shot it over 100 yds, but I can put it on the bullseye at that range easy enough

Be sure to check the scope mount screws and scope ring screws to make sure they are tight. I have seen these appear to be tight on new combo packages from retailers and then loosen up quickly when one starts shooting. If the screws are not already lock tited, I would even suggest that you remove them one at a time, put a small drop of blue lock tite on the screw and replace it. It can save you a lot of grief later. You do not need to shoot Blackhorn 209 but I with all of it's advantages, I would highly recommend it. The Optima V2 will shoot a variety of loads accurately. The load Wolfshead recommended, using the 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold bullet, crush rib sabot and 110 gr BH 209 is one of the best, IMO. My son's Optima V2 seems to have just a tad tighter barrel than my Accura V2 and he uses black crush ribs but I use the red ones. We also use Winchester 209A primers. Another extremely accurate load I have found is the Hornady .430 265 gr FTX bullet, Harvester smooth green sabot and 100 gr BH 209, again with the Winchester primer. This load will shoot single, ragged one hole groups out of my son's Optima V2 and my Accura V2.

If your Optima came with the Konus scope, don't be too quick to replace it, they are very good scopes with a lifetime warranty. Try it out before you judge it, they're not real well known, but they perform very well. Also, you will make a wise choice using Blackhorn 209. It performs well with just about every bullet I've tried except Powerbelts. My CVA Apex loves the Barns XPB 275 gr. .451 diam. (460 S&W) bullets in a MMP short black sabot.

I have an Optima V2 and it has shot everything I've tried so far pretty well. Shooting 95gr (V) of both T7 powder and BH209 , using both Win 209 & CCI 209Mag primers. I've been able to get 1 1/2" groups at 100yds using:

- 300gr Scorpion PT Gold bullets in Harvester short black & crush rib sabots, as well as Hornady black sabots and T/C superglide sabots.

- 300gr .44cal Hornady XTP bullets in Hornady green sabots and Harvester crush rib & smooth sabots.

- 250gr .45cal Hornady XTP bullets in Hornady black sabots, Harvester smooth black & crush rib, and T/C superglide sabots.
***groups were starting to open up at 100yds much more than any of the 300gr bullets!

- 300gr .45cal Hornady SST bullets in Hornady high-speed low-drag sabots.

Both my son & I are hunting this year with the 300gr Scorpion PT Golds in the Harvester smooth black sabots. I've yet to hear/read about an Optima that doesn't seem to shoot very well. I've only had mine, and been shooting muzzle loaders, for 2yrs and it has certainly impressed the heck out of me!

Enjoy your new rifle, and happy hunting!

Thanks for all of the replies I do appreciate the help. Now. First, can someone confirm that I will need to replace the breech plug to use the 209 primers. Also I was thinking ivwould need a scale to weigh the powder but now it looks like I can measure the 209 powder.

Yes. You will need the 209 breach plug. There are a number of places to order bullets/sabots. I like Midsouth shooters supply and Harvester muzzle loading.

treetop01 said:
Thanks for all of the replies I do appreciate the help. Now. First, can someone confirm that I will need to replace the breech plug to use the 209 primers. Also I was thinking ivwould need a scale to weigh the powder but now it looks like I can measure the 209 powder.

Yes, you need the BH 209 breech plug and you need to use a hot primer in order to get reliable ignition. BH 209 can be measured by volume with a regular powder measure. BH 209 builds more pressure than other blackpowder subs so when using it, you will see higher projectile velocities than equal volumes of other subs. Because of the higher pressures, do not use more than 120 gr by volume, even though the Optima is rated to use 150 gr of other subs. 100 gr is a good starting point for any load development. Also, don't use blackpowder solvents to clean your barrel or any water based cleaner. Use a smokeless powder solvent. Hoppes #9 works as well as anything.

I stopped down at the local Cabelas today and picked up most of what I need. They do not sell the BH Breech plug and a older gentleman working there who claims to be an avid inline user told me I didn't need the BH breech plug. What is it that this offers that the stock one doesn't ?

Thanks again for the responses, I apologize for the repeated questions but its my nature :shock:

The BH209 plug has two major differences.

1) The flash channel is larger
2) The powder side of the breach plug is deeply concave which brings the powder closer to the primer.

That odd your Cabelas does not carry the plug. Mine does and its listed at Cabelas website too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... rPage%3D48

cva_optima_v2_QRBPs.jpg

treetop01 said:
I stopped down at the local Cabelas today and picked up most of what I need. They do not sell the BH Breech plug and a older gentleman working there who claims to be an avid inline user told me I didn't need the BH breech plug. What is it that this offers that the stock one doesn't ?

Thanks again for the responses, I apologize for the repeated questions but its my nature :shock:

In a word, RELIABILITY!

174.jpg

171.jpg

treetop01 said:

I shot my CVA Apex many many times with the stock breech plug and BH209. Never a problem, no hang fires/misfires. While out hunting in very cold weather, I had a nice big 8 pt in my sights, pulled the trigger, primer went off, powder didn't. 8 pointer ran away. I ordered the BH breech plug a few days later. Cheap insurance that your biggest buck won't be shot by someone else like mine was.

I ordered it from Muzzleloaders.com, thanks for the explanations and assistance. I am really looking forward to getting it all in place and see how the gun and I can group.

I think you will love the Optima. I know I do mine. The wide choices of bullet/sabot that will work sure makes working up a load a lot easier. If you hadn't bought the blackhorn bp sooner or later you would have had problems.

All right, I have the Black Horn Breech Plug and most everything that I need to shoot it. I just got done cleaning it and getting it ready. I bought Federal Shot shell primers, they do not seem to seat as they appear to be to deep? I put one in with the gun unloaded and I cannot pull the hammer back? My guess is I may need a different brand primer. Any thoughts? Its a nice day and I would love to get this gun sighted in today. Thanks TT

Did you fully seat the breech plug flange with the provided tool? This needs to be done on the first install, then it's just fingers after that.

It went the second time I tried? I did not try to seat with the tool I will look at that, Thanks

Back