New CVA Optima suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabinajiles said:
toytruck said:
sabinajiles said:
My son's scope was supposed to have been bore sighted when mounted but he couldn't get anything to group. His scope rings and mount screws both loosened within the first 25-30 shots.

That's two questions I have for CVA. Are the scope rings and base screws locktited when installed and is the black paint on my receiver painted over a stainless steel frame? Anybody know for sure?

I have no idea how CVA mounts their scopes. My son's Optima scope package was not offered from CVA. It was a retailer package. The CVA Optima and Accura receivers are not stainless steel. They are an aluminum alloy and they are painted black.

I just got my questions answered by CVA. sabinajiles is correct the receivers are aluminum alloy and baked on paint. Also CVA states they don't bore sight the konus scopes (the paperwork with the rifle said it was) and they don't locktite the base screws. I should have double checked before I went to the range last week, so now I have to do it an hope the scope doesn't go off too far....lesson learned!

I had the gun out again to confirm the sight in was completed and I am very satisfied with the groups at both 50 and 100 yards on the bench Using 100 grains measured of Black Horn 209 and the 300 grain SST black it looks like I am ready to go.

Now for my concern, please have some patience but this has happened on the first shot the last two times out. I start with a clean gun and run one dry rag down the barrel to remove any oil before I shoot it, take the breech plug out and add a small amount of breech plug grease and hand tighten the breech plug. I then load the BH 209 powder, the bullet and add a cap Remember this exact thing has happened the first shot the last two times. I aim, deep breath, squeeze the trigger and the cap goes off but there is virtually no noise kick or smoke. I think I had a misfire but when I check the bore the bullet and charge are gone. What the heck is Happening?

You are using the BH 209 breech plug, right. A primer that's not hot enough, a sabot that's too loose, or not enough pressure on the ramrod to properly compress the load, when seating it, can all contribute to the problem you mentioned. Since it also happens after a series of shots, you are probably also getting some restriction in the larger part of the flash channel under the primer pocket from carbon build up. You can clean it out by using a snug fitting drill bit, 1/8" I believe, and twisting in the flash channel with your fingers.

I am using the BH 209 breech plug with A209 Federal primers, the misfire like discharge only happens on my first shot. So far I have 24 shots through the gun and setup and try to clean the breech plug really well with just a rag when done shooting. The small hole in the breech plug is tiny, I can only fit a small safety pin through it as it is smaller than a small paper clip? There is no way a 1/8th bit would go through that hole? I try to set the sabot then compress it by using several packing jabs once it hits bottom?

It is a strange feeling when you expect the kick, noise and smoke and it seems that only the cap seems to go off. I wonder if I should snap a cap off before loading to blow out and burn any left over oil?

The plug is cleaned like this
bp_diagram.jpg

Dont worry so much about the small hole. Worry about the flash CHANNEL. Its what fills with carbon. IF you must, only use something soft in the flash HOLE such as a piece of copper wire. Don't force it or use anything abrasive. As long as the hole is between .028 and .035 you are fine. Leave it alone.

treetop01 said:
I am using the BH 209 breech plug with A209 Federal primers, the misfire like discharge only happens on my first shot.

It is a strange feeling when you expect the kick, noise and smoke and it seems that only the cap seems to go off. I wonder if I should snap a cap off before loading to blow out and burn any left over oil?

What GM54-120 said about cleaning the breech plug. Nice visual, too. I should have read your post more carefully. I thought the the problem was after several shots, not on the first. If it's on the first shot, it could very well be that the oil you use in the bore has run down into the flash hole. If this is the case, firing a primer or two before you load will definitely clear it and is good practice anyway to insure the bore is clear. I drop a Kleenex onto the ground and place the muzzle an inch away when I fire the primer. If everything is clear, the gas from the prier will shred the Kleenex.

I just ordered a cva optima v2 and ordered the bh breach plug I have found a lot of different answers on primers a lot of people say you have to use a magnum primer and a lot of people say you don’t can any one enlighten me on this please

I just ordered a cva optima v2 and ordered the bh breach plug I have found a lot of different answers on primers a lot of people say you have to use a magnum primer and a lot of people say you don’t can any one enlighten me on this please

It really depends on the seal of the primer. If you have a Good seal you get no blowback so all the heat/flame and pressure from the primer goes though the flash hole to the powder. With a good seal like that no mag primer is needed.

It went the second time I tried? I did not try to seat with the tool I will look at that, Thanks
had same thing, I actually had seated the breechplug with the wrench the first year. second year, same experience you had, got advice here,seat the breechplug tighter, sure nuff, there was more space to crank the breechplug tight. problem solved.

Did you consider a used rifle? What distance will you shoot at? for wooded areas .... A side lock works well .....at up to 75 yds in 99% of the time. Plus fun to shoot. most go cheap

I am using the BH 209 breech plug with A209 Federal primers, the misfire like discharge only happens on my first shot. So far I have 24 shots through the gun and setup and try to clean the breech plug really well with just a rag when done shooting. The small hole in the breech plug is tiny, I can only fit a small safety pin through it as it is smaller than a small paper clip? There is no way a 1/8th bit would go through that hole? I try to set the sabot then compress it by using several packing jabs once it hits bottom?

Since this is only the first shot, I strongly suspect you have oil or cleaning fluid residue in the gun. Probably the plug. On my Optima, I clean with alcohol before I head to the range. With special attention to the breech plug. Now even with all that, I always, always blow off a 209 primer with an empty gun. Sometimes two. it is an old habit. I learned the hard way before the internet with black powder. And the old black is much easier to ignite.

FWIW, I have it on good advise to use Federal 209A primers. This nothing to do with your first shot problem. It is just another free, and FWIW piece of advise. I got 1000 Winchster sitting around and I dont use those in my Optima. I got another box of Federal. A local word of mouth deal. And not a big deal either.

Treetop made 16 posts back in 2015 and has not been back again.

FWIW, I have it on good advise to use Federal 209A primers.

Use whatever 209 primer you wish as long as its not belching like a volcano into your breach. If mag primers are and Win209 are not....which do you think is doing a better job of igniting the powder?

I bought a brand new optima that has no tool in the box to tighten the plug. I've read this thread and it says to tighten the plug with a tool that comes with a new gun. So i read the manual and it doesn't mention about the tool or tightening the plug. Is there something I'm missing?

The guns dont come with the tool. A new breach plug comes with the tool. Your factory plug should already be seated correctly. A new plug requires it is seated correctly one time. After that it is just hand tightened.

Page 5 of the online manual
Apply CVA Breechplug Grease or high temperature anti-seize compound to the breechplug threads and replace it in the barrel. Tighten hand-tight only. Over tightening the breechplug can cause it to stick

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I had Ron Laughlin ( I believe) drill out the original plug with a ventliner to use black horn so i should b good.

Yep, you are set. You have no need for the tool unless you buy another plug. Once in a blue moon i read of a included plug that is not seated correctly but i bet CVA would send you the tool if that happened. It pretty uncommon from what ive read.

Back