New CVA wolf questions MIDWAY USA purchase fired?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I received my rifle today. Are these fired by the factory? I took some pics and while I was cleaning the barrel I noticed something disturbing. Looked like bits of burned cotton like charcloth.

I also noticed the barrel is not as shiny as I seen in the videos I took a clean patch and just dry rubbed the barrel.

Now I am no stranger to guns but this one has no grease either. The breach plug has what appears to be silver antiseeze and looks new. The barrel had that crap in there though.

Important to mention the box is different too. Did I get a lemon. I bought it from MIDWAY USA.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_143638_3.jpg
    IMG_20200620_143638_3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200620_143217_5.jpg
    IMG_20200620_143217_5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200620_142336_3.jpg
    IMG_20200620_142336_3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200620_142635_6.jpg
    IMG_20200620_142635_6.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 45
This line I can't seem to get out either what the heck is going on

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_145127_8.jpg
    IMG_20200620_145127_8.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 33
I'm sure that the guns are test fired at the factory. They probably don't clean them up very well and just pack them full of grease or oil before shipping.
You should always thoroughly clean before using it anyway.
It's hard to see the mark your talking about in the picture.
You probably got the gun the same way that Midway got it. They may or may not inspect before shipping.

I'm sure that the guns are test fired at the factory. They probably don't clean them up very well and just pack them full of grease or oil before shipping.
You should always thoroughly clean before using it anyway.
It's hard to see the mark your talking about in the picture.
You probably got the gun the same way that Midway got it. They may or may not inspect before shipping.

Thank you for your response. I am a little concerned. Even though stain is not a big deal but when I look at the rifling as I'm cleaning this rifle I noticed that three grooves in the rifling are deeper than the rest. So much so that the rest of the barrel is clean except for these three grooves.

Is it possible that it was returned and somebody fired a super hot load in there and damaged the rifling?

I'm just spitballing I don't know about black powder I know about rifling on normal firearms and I've never seen anything like this it looks like something was shot out and just dug in to the barrel on one side.

I don't think there is any requirement for a muzzleloader to be fired at the factory. I would return it and get another one, it will always bug you.
I agree with you it's bothering me now and will continue to bother me. I sent an email out to Midway they haven't responded yet I just sent it out but they claim that their product on their website has been drop shipped from the manufacturer. that's not true because the tracking information shows it being shipped from their warehouse in Missouri not from cva in Connecticut.

I also sent one out to CVA to see if they could do anything.

This is also one of the reasons that they use on their website not to do returns. They claim that this product is dropshiped from the manufacturer. Not true. I assume in an attempt to not accept any responsibility for faulty equipment. I could have ordered from CVA direct but the same exact thing would have cost about $30 more.

If you haven't registered your rifle with CVA, you should asap. They do offer a lifetime warranty on their products. You most likely can at least send back the barrel for a replacement.
yeah I'm kind of bummed out that it arrived this way but bottom line is I want one. It's not like I'm looking for my money back.
Thank goodness for CVAs lifetime warranty. Since I already opened up the warranty card information which is another deduction or restock fee at Midway USA. Like I said though I don't want my money I just want a good rifle.

yeah I'm kind of bummed out that it arrived this way but bottom line is I want one. It's not like I'm looking for my money back.
Thank goodness for CVAs lifetime warranty. Since I already opened up the warranty card information which is another deduction or restock fee at Midway USA. Like I said though I don't want my money I just want a good rifle.
Yeah, I hear ya. I know for myself that I can live with a small blemish, scratch or something but if the rifling is messed up the gun just won't shoot good for you. Hopefully, CVA will make it right for you.

The silver anti sieze is right. The barrel photo appears to be before cleaning. The better photo would be after cleaning. The bore should be bright and perfect, after cleaning. I dont believe a new CVA will be dirty like that. I only got one and always clean right away. I might have missed it. I could ask around but does it matter at this point? Reading the 3rd post, I would return the gun. Midway is pretty good about returns. Technically, this would be a problem for CVA, but; in practice Midway will take it back. I would be inclined to do a straight return instead of an exchange. Wolf is low cost and available all over the place. In an exchange you risk another gun from a bad lot and not sure what Midway policy is with manufacturer issues. Blemish is a last straw. Maybe a good excuse for the return. I would return the warranty card in the box.

If the gun was fired, I think you would see evidence in the breech plug. That was clean right?

Last edited:
Ive had 4 brand new CVAs over the years and never got one that was dirty or even questionable cosmetically. Wait to hear from Midway and/or CVA. One of them will make it right.

I wonder if that is 777 powder residue? I know that is nasty stuff to clean. Either BH209 or black powder is an easy swap.

So have you actually cleaned up the gun to your liking and taken it out and shot it with a proven load?

The silver anti sieze is right. The barrel photo appears to be before cleaning. The better photo would be after cleaning. The bore should be bright and perfect, after cleaning. I dont believe a new CVA will be dirty like that. I only got one and always clean right away. I might have missed it. I could ask around but does it matter at this point? Reading the 3rd post, I would return the gun. Midway is pretty good about returns. Technically, this would be a problem for CVA, but; in practice Midway will take it back. I would be inclined to do a straight return instead of an exchange. Wolf is low cost and available all over the place. In an exchange you risk another gun from a bad lot and not sure what Midway policy is with manufacturer issues. Blemish is a last straw. Maybe a good excuse for the return. I would return the warranty card in the box.

If the gun was fired, I think you would see evidence in the breech plug. That was clean right?

That's the funny thing the receiver trigger and breech plug look new it's the barrel that looks kind of tore up. I have to wait on fully cleaning it until tomorrow I need a few more cleaning supplies. but yeah the crap on the barrels definitely not easy to wipe off.

So have you actually cleaned up the gun to your liking and taken it out and shot it with a proven load?

Well see that's the thing I need to finish cleaning at 1. And two if a fire the gun then it's definitely non-returnable to Midway. 3. if I suspected a gun that had bad rifling I would never fire in the first place.

Now I guess we're just going to have to wait a few days me to clean the guns see if any of these two respond back to me either Midway or CVa should make this right.

the fact that I'm delayed even further is an inconvenience what if this had been deer hunting season?

seriously doesn't look like any type of gun grease or manufacturing grease in the barrel. It looks like bits of Sabat and or burned up wad cloth it looks like char cloth. I seriously doubt that my patches are disintegrating in the barrel as I'm cleaning.

On top of all that I did a weird test no I don't know for sure but I do believe black powder taste salty. I put one of the patches to the tip of my tongue sure as s*** it tasted salty.

Well hopefully they'll respond because of this virus their chat is offline their phones are off line they're only going with email communication.

I took some more pics of the barrel.

And if you look at the pics above at the top of the barrel the three lands look deeper and they're not cleaning out as easily. my imagination says three steel balls were fired out of it maybe at once. That's what it looks like.

I will know more when I thoroughly clean the barrel with a bore brush. I also have a borescope that I need to find so I can run it down the barrel and take some camera footage. The borescope will tell me more.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_005154_4.jpg
    IMG_20200621_005154_4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200621_005150_6.jpg
    IMG_20200621_005150_6.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200621_005147_0.jpg
    IMG_20200621_005147_0.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 31
I've sent two barrels in the past to CVA and they sent new ones in about a week.

Reactions: D55
I got one in used condition from Buds Gun Shop. It took a month to get the rifle and three weeks to get a refund. I ordered another one from Sportsmans Guide. It arrived in three days and the barrel and breach plug were clean as a whistle. Someone fired your rifle one or ten times and decided they didn’t want it or killed a deer with it and returned it. Don’t keep the rifle. You don’t know what kind of load was fired in it.

Attachments

• DBF3B5CF-2E6F-4102-AC31-ED7514DCF057.jpeg
    DBF3B5CF-2E6F-4102-AC31-ED7514DCF057.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 6AF6BE0F-7193-40A6-AB6A-11C088E8DCC0.jpeg
    6AF6BE0F-7193-40A6-AB6A-11C088E8DCC0.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 21
If that's the case that pisses me off. I paid for a new rifle. Not a used rifle with a new breech plug and stock.

but yeah looking at that picture down the barrel that looks pretty much the way mine looked. Plus even the crappy photos I took I can see the three gouges in the rifling all the way down the barrel.

It's Sunday so they're probably closed no contact yet I'll keep you guys posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back