New CVA wolf questions MIDWAY USA purchase fired?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the skinny. I was chatting with someone and then I accidentally disconnected myself. This was my fault. I reconnected with the second chat person. Who is able to find the notes of the first chat person.

Basically I am welcome to return the rifle for a refund or exchange. This was done without hassle. however the only issue is that it was done in a roundabout way. I have to fill out a gift return form. Which means I don't have a prepaid label. But Midway assured me that once I pay for the shipping and they received the item I need to contact customer service and they will reimburse the shipping.

Now the automated system would have probably let me return it with a prepaid shipping label however I think Midway is general policy is on muzzleloaders there is no return.

So I'm basically trusting that I am sending my rifle and I will be reimbursed. They do state that customer satisfaction is our number one goal at Midway USA if you're not completely satisfied with your purchase you may return products for an exchange or refund at the original purchase price plus applicable sales tax within 90 days of purchase.

However it goes on to say to view our full return policy go to and it lists a website Midway usa.com returns.

It's all pretty inconvenient and the question arises how did I get shipped a rifle that was fired anyway?

Customer satisfaction is our number one goal so am I satisfied meh... Not very happy. Especially since I'm being asked to do even more like ship back something on my own dime after waiting for it to arrive. I can say that I'm not completely pissed because they will take the return.

If I get a chance to redact the order number i will include the chat that I have printed and a digital copy of.

all right so I noticed on the website they only had three left so what I went ahead and did is I paid for another one to be shipped to me.
That's right I bought another one and they exactly the same with the iron sights. Stainless steel everything exactly the same.
Now I must return the one that was sent to me and hopefully they will refund the original purchase.
I want to say that Midway may not be available on the phone but they are absolutely available on chat. I apologize for dragging everyone into my little psychosis. My inner sense of justice feels the need to expose unfairness and in equality. However long story short Midway equal fix your problem.

Buds shows that same model for $1 more. (and they price match) Nothing wrong with Midway either. I might feel a little better with Buds, FWIW.

DNZ or Durasight? The mount that comes with most CVAs is the Durasight...another BPI/Dikar owned company

I maybe wrong, it might be the Durasight. Bad assumption. They look alike enough and I dont know there was the two. I read the spec and it is like you say.

You need to replace it. From this point on any problem you have with the gun your mind will automatically go back to this original problem and doubt the gun. You'll kick yourself weather the gun is at fault of not. Start out with a clean gun you enjoy. One you have confidence in. Be patient and exchange it.

. I apologize for dragging everyone into my little psychosis.
I am glad to have your psychosis distracting me from my own. And am glad its getting squared away. Things are just taking a bit longer now. Remember back before cell fones and the interwebs? Everything took forever. We have all gotten accustomed to instant gratification. We've just had to take a step or two backwards but its only a temporary inconvenience.

I am glad to have your psychosis distracting me from my own. And am glad its getting squared away. Things are just taking a bit longer now. Remember back before cell fones and the interwebs? Everything took forever. We have all gotten accustomed to instant gratification. We've just had to take a step or two backwards but its only a temporary inconvenience.
I remember one four to six weeks was four to six weeks. Everything that you ordered out of mail order catalog 4 to 6 weeks before it got to your home.

ok so I aid for and ordered a new one that has the same issue in the same spot. Only it was hard to see so I took a video. That was hard to see too. Now I got it bore scoped with the breach plug in i have better photos. This is the second one from Midway. the pics after the video show it. look at the proof mark on the breach plug for reference.

Attachments

• WIN_20200628_23_34_26_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200628_23_34_26_Pro.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
  • WIN_20200628_23_35_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200628_23_35_55_Pro.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
  • WIN_20200628_23_36_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200628_23_36_54_Pro.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 16
  • WIN_20200628_23_37_09_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200628_23_37_09_Pro.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 16
I took a look at my Optima and I do see lands that look like two RR tracks rather than a single high land. It seems uniform enough to my naked eye. I am near sighted and see up close very well. Definatly no pits at the breech end. I do have a bore scope and could attempt to take a closer look or photo later on. You know at this point people are all going to say the same thing. That is you have to shoot it. I do get your issue and curiosity. I will try and get a look at another wolf my buddy owns, later this week.

I hate to say this, but; I did suggest buying one locally.

Definitely going to buy a locally from now on. I believe both rifles have issues from Midway. I believe the first one previously had bits of Sabot but I know now that it was more than likely old Teflon tape bits.
I will never buy another product from Midway again. Nor will I be purchasing another CVA /BPI / Vikar/ Dikar product.

I can't believe the second one that was sent to me is like this as well.

I learn something that I kind of already knew. Never buy from a company with too many business names. CVA gives you the impression of a connecticut-based firearms manufacturer. Without doing any research about the company that's what one would think. And that's what they want you to think.

CVA is BPI wait no that is Dikar that was vikar that also makes a special buraga barrel. sounds like a company in Spain that's trying to get a piece of the market in the US by appealing to our American redneck nature.
If the company's dikar call it a dikar. When Hatsan started distributing in the USA they didn't call the rifles SuperAmerica brand rifles. They simply set up a shipping and distribution hub in the United States and named it hatsan USA.

When you deal with the company that has multiple names like that it's a red flag and a huge one. All of them shifting blame.

Oh crap we got another complaint for CVA rifle no worries will change the name again and dikar is protected from liability because it's called a CVA and sold under cva's LLC.

So if anything happens Vikar is protected. Sometimes multiple web sites will be the same store with a different name. You'll see a website with different names yet set up absolutely the same. Also a red flag. Check the company's shipping addresses if they're stupid enough to be the same you know the are the same company.

Now on websites this could be as simple as using the same software engine used to create the website. Like I've noticed a lot of the forums look the same because they've been created in a program called vbulletin.

When it's a storefront though it could be a crappy business tactic at best.

Ah I am ranting again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the gun out and shoot it. You might find out that this gun does things way better than you are projecting it to do in spite of what you feel is an issue. Its starting to sound as though you need to find fault somewhere. Damn, shoot the gun and see for yourself that there's nothing wrong.

Yeah...The next post should be a report from where you have shot it. One of the MML rules is no Brand Bashing, but detailing problems with a product is allowed in order to get advice. This thread has been borderline a couple times.

So, please shoot it and let us know how it does. Thx

Nearly every rifle aside from custom hand lapped barrels get a good scrubbing with J-B before they are ever shot. It hurts nothing and really does a good job getting out whatever may have been used for pre-sales storage. The Bore Bright version is slightly more aggressive. Probably similar to the MX Bore Polish. MX Copper Cream is also a good aggressive cleaner. Great for yearly scrubbings if you shoot a lot.

Nearly every rifle aside from custom hand lapped barrels get a good scrubbing with J-B before they are ever shot. It hurts nothing and really does a good job getting out whatever may have been used for pre-sales storage.

Really. Every one of my muzzies gets "the treatment" , shiny or otherwise. I give each gun a quick run with JB each late fall after the hunting seasons and my usual range shooting slows down with the onset of winter. Several of my friends who've started in the muzzies have brought their brand spanking new guns still in the box over and the first thing we've done is gave them the JB treatment. Some of these have been new Knights. The barrels will all collect some stuff in shipping since they aren't shipped plugged to prevent stuff from getting in there.

It just seems that finding trivial faults before you've even fired the gun seems petty. And a hallofin has indicated, it may not be bashing but one leg is off the fence.

My Douglas Prem XX and Pacnor Super Match Grade are both butter smooth. Using JB on them other than a 1-2 times a year is not going to help them any. Its just good for a aggressive annual cleaning or if a sabot was blown. New Knights are shipped with DynaTech and should be fired first to cure them. A quick wipe first is all that is needed beforehand.

Stuff shipped from across the pond is a whole other matter. They come across the ocean in shipping containers. Who knows how long they will sit on that ship and customs before ever reaching a warehouse in the USA. Knight does not have 10s of thousands of pre built rifles just sitting around so the requirements are totally different.

Only one company i know of test fires every single ML barrel before shipping them.....Pedersoli.

Take the gun out and shoot it. You might find out that this gun does things way better than you are projecting it to do in spite of what you feel is an issue. Its starting to sound as though you need to find fault somewhere. Damn, shoot the gun and see for yourself that there's nothing wrong.

Exactly! I shoot a CVA with open sights and do rather well with my old eyes at 100 yds. 1 1/2 - 2" groups. I never complain until I find the gun does not shoot to my expectations. I know its only a $200. gun and you want the best out of it, but give it a chance.

I did get to my friends house today and looked at a brand new in the box wolf. The bore looked a lot better. So; they do vary and maybe a bad batch slipped out due to worn tooling. I am typing and now regret not looking at his other wolf. I got distracted and forgot. This new one belongs to a friend of his and was dropped off for a barrel chop.

Regarding the grease cleaning which you refered to much earlier, Idaholewis has cleaned some barrels using Gojoe, the original formula. NOT the abrasive formula. Although this may be irellivant at this point. Good luck in any case.

Nope. After literally cleaning for hours spread out over days it's still not clean.

I bought steel wool different types of cleaners a new one piece cleaning rod about 200 patches.

Both of these are going back to Midway. I'm going to purchase something from Cabela's in a blister pack that has not been opened. The unfortunate thing is I might have to go with the blued barrel. plus it's going to cost a lot more being the prepackaged with the scope and the case.

I finally came to the conclusion that I shouldn't be spending my time trying to make this thing work when it should have worked out of the box. Sorry.

I also just came back from the gunsmith. Had 3 gunsmiths scratching their heads. Their advice was take it to CVA or shoot it and see if it gives flyers or is accurate.

They said more than likely a tooling issue during manufacturing it should have been rejected. That is when they suggested sending it back to CVA.

They also commented the same as I did that all the rest of the bore was "immaculately clean" except the 3 groves.

So I decided to learn how rifling is cut or not cut as is the case with bergara barrels.

Make a long lesson short there are 3 major ways each with their advantages. Either a 1 pass drill (I forget the proper name). 2 a multi pass blade that cuts one groove at a time requiring multiple passes one grove at time. 3. The slug method ( again forgot correct term.) In this method a metal bit us basically pushed into a heated smooth bore. Rather than cutting this method compresses and hardens the steel by pushing it in to create grooves.

Cheap rifle equals cheaply made barrel. No question. Prone to defect and lacking quality control. Something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart was selling the wolf. I am also pretty sure all the Walmarts pulled all the guns and ammo due to the riots.

I looked online and cabelas has the wolf in stainless. I think this is with the Konus 32mm scope which turned out to be an ok scope. I understand those packages are seldom what the customer wants. Or not the passionate gun nut customers. I would want stainless. I also would not go into the checkout line without opening the package. Not after getting two bad ones. This is out of stock online but is available at some stores.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cva...ion-50-caliber-muzzleloader-with-scope-combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back