New Disc Extreme and Leupold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curley

Reaction score
Hello, last year, with help from folks on this forum, I bought a Knight Disc Extreme .50 cal. I also purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 3x9 with the muzzleloader reticle. I'm using 77 gbv BH 209, have the Lehigh setup, and Scorpion PT Gold 300 gr with black CR sabots. I've only shot the gun 9 times and I have about that many questions.
-By the third shot I hit the bullseye at 100 yards. Shots 4,5,and 6 were still on paper but VERY inconsistent with NO scope adjustment. I had not swabbed the barrel at all, thinking I shouldn't have to when using BH. Is this correct?
-Over the weekend I shot 3 more times. I fired 2 primers, then loaded the first round then I swabbed with each side of a dry patch. Second shot was about 3" higher, then same swab, and third shot was .5" from first. It seemed like the little swabbing I was doing helped some and with more shots it feels like I could get decent groups, but again, I read about people firing a dozen shots without swabbing so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
-The bore seems REALLY tight! The first swabbing with a 2" dry patch after 1 shot got the rod so stuck in the barrel it took 2 of us to get it out. Again, what am I doing wrong?
-Has anyone played with the VX Freedom ML scope enough to know if there is a load(s) that match up with the reticle?
Sorry for the ignorance and maybe I thought it should be easier to dial this thing in that it is but I would appreciate your feed back.

I didn't pay much attention to that on the first day (6 shots) but I made sure there were 10 minutes between shots on second day and it was about 55 degrees out.

100 - 110 gr. volume BH209 seems to be the sweet spot for that combination in many rifles.

First off, your saboted bullets are to tight, you want just the ‘right’ fit, not to tight or loose. I’d do some checking on the Harvester site, maybe your CR sabots are already fine. Measure the bullets if able, .451” & .452” are common sizes. Try a common Hornady XTP if you have any.

I can shoot my guns & reload at least a handful of times without messing with the bore. I can’t be swabbing when there are deer, coyotes, & whatever else to stack up. I’d try to work out a better bore fit, then tackle any accuracy issues.

I’d get a complete handle on how it shoots at 50 yards before going further.

Brand new rifle.
Interesting I have the same rifle with the same scope and the powder and PT gold and I’m having the same problem and yes I have to beat the Crush Rib down the barrel. trust me it’s the barrel and I called Green Mountain with no help from them I EMail Knight twice with no response back.

another issue is when I get it home to clean it with BH 209 solvent and push the patch down the barrel I can not pull it back out so I have to push it all out, if I push it thru about 3 times and then it will go back and forth.

no you do not have to swab in between shot with BH.
I’m just going to keep shooting it and if it don’t get better by spring I’ll ship it back to them.

Last edited:
Have either of you (Bravo280 & Curley) thought about doing the Lee Shaver barrel polish?

ihave Thought about it but with it being new and the Lee Shaver don’t work and they find out I did that to the barrel it might void the warranty.
But some people say you got to fire cure the Dyna barrel but I don’t believe that because I bought 2 other rifle from Knight at the same time and I’m not having problems with them.

I can’t remember the authors name, but he’s a pretty big knight fan and he said the green mountain barrels typically run .500 to .501. If that’s the case that would account for some of it. I just ordered the sample pack from no excuses and I settled on the .501 bullet so that kind of made sense. I ordered a package of the 501s and I’m looking forward to trying them. I did shoot a deer last weekend with a 300 grain partition gold and a Crush Rib Sabot but it is a bit of a chore to get the thing down the barrel.

I would try to cure the Dynatek with conicals. Then run JB bore paste through it after curing. The only WAG i can come up with is they had a batch with a bad application of the DynaTek. Maybe it was applied too thick of something? I think its less likely that GMB had a run of really tight barrels.

I would try to cure the Dynatek with conicals. Then run JB bore paste through it after curing. The only WAG i can come up with is they had a batch with a bad application of the DynaTek. Maybe it was applied too thick of something? I think its less likely that GMB had a run of really tight barrels.

That is my next step 10 to 20 conical down the barrel and the JB if this don’t work then I’ll E-mail Knight.

Hello, last year, with help from folks on this forum, I bought a Knight Disc Extreme .50 cal. I also purchased a Leupold VX Freedom 3x9 with the muzzleloader reticle. I'm using 77 gbv BH 209, have the Lehigh setup, and Scorpion PT Gold 300 gr with black CR sabots. I've only shot the gun 9 times and I have about that many questions.
-By the third shot I hit the bullseye at 100 yards. Shots 4,5,and 6 were still on paper but VERY inconsistent with NO scope adjustment. I had not swabbed the barrel at all, thinking I shouldn't have to when using BH. Is this correct?
-Over the weekend I shot 3 more times. I fired 2 primers, then loaded the first round then I swabbed with each side of a dry patch. Second shot was about 3" higher, then same swab, and third shot was .5" from first. It seemed like the little swabbing I was doing helped some and with more shots it feels like I could get decent groups, but again, I read about people firing a dozen shots without swabbing so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
-The bore seems REALLY tight! The first swabbing with a 2" dry patch after 1 shot got the rod so stuck in the barrel it took 2 of us to get it out. Again, what am I doing wrong?
-Has anyone played with the VX Freedom ML scope enough to know if there is a load(s) that match up with the reticle?
Sorry for the ignorance and maybe I thought it should be easier to dial this thing in that it is but I would appreciate your feed back.

did you buy your between October to December.

Note: what I have experienced with new knight dyna-tek barrels is that the first few shots (6 or so) are really hard to load, it eases up some after a dozen or so. After 50 shots they seem to be settled in, and slicked up. Don’t give up too soon.

Latest posts

Back