New DWB!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boreal

Reaction score
So this is my first White. Bison .504. I actually found it here on the "whites for sale on other sites" It the one from Connecticut on the bottom of page 45 and the top of page 46. It is new and unfired. There was a little bit of surface rust on the thimble, which was easily remedied, but otherwise it seems perfect. What do you guys like for loads in your Bisons?

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_214833.jpg
    IMG_20200626_214833.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 29
Welcome!

You will get differing opinions, but 65-80 grains of Triple 7 3F (loose), and a pure lead conical 340 - 500 grains is a common suggestion.
Bullshop is a favored bullet supplier, followed by No Excuses, and of course, casting your own.
The 65 grain load of T7 has more power than you might expect. I've killed several deer with that load, although I've since moved up to about 70/75 grs in a
Super 91.
Finding a good accurate load is generally easy, and lots of fun.
Hang on, read some post in here and becrid8x

If you can find Swiss 2 or 3 F powder I would get that. It’s a little more expensive but worth it to me. Like it was mentioned in the previous reply anywhere from 65-80 gr you will find your sweet spot.

If you can find Swiss 2 or 3 F powder I would get that. It’s a little more expensive but worth it to me. Like it was mentioned in the previous reply anywhere from 65-80 gr you will find your sweet spot.

Personally, I would Skip the 3F, Swiss 2F is where it’s at :) I use to Shoot a LOT of 3F, But something happened/Changed with the 3F Swiss? I couldn’t shoot a Group to Save my Life with the last Can of it i Bought, I stil have that Can of Powder, i use it and Goex Olde E for Fouling My Bore

I'm a previous owner of a couple of White Bison...great guns! I just needed to exchange them for stainless steal barrels. Pretty wet out here during hunting season..any ways my .504 liked the Bullshop 460 grain sized to .5045/.505, 1 54 cal wool wad sitting on top of 85grns of Swiss FFG. 2 elk, one 5x5 bull and one cow dropped with that load, a deer wont even slow that combo down. I replaced the Bullshops with a custom mold from Accurate Molds and poured my own.Not a lot of peep sight options out there. Skinner sights offers a sight labeled (if I remember) 810 or maybe 860? It's one of those. It fits the hole spacing of the top rear mounting holes on the receiver. The Lyman 57 sme also fits the hole spacing on the right side of the receiver. I used both options and liked them both. The Skinner is a set it and forget it sight for the most part but very rugged. Enjoy your new rifle.

460 bullshop,5025, !10 Grains of T7, TOTW Wad and a Remington percussion cap. Its a stiff load but for Elk Just right
Sight in for 110 yards,You will be 6" low at 150 and 17"low at 200.

460 bullshop,5025, !10 Grains of T7, TOTW Wad and a Remington percussion cap. Its a stiff load but for Elk Just right
Sight in for 110 yards,You will be 6" low at 150 and 17"low at 200.
.5025??? Is that a typo? Or is your bore really that small? My Whitetail likes a .5035 my two S91’s right close to .506-.507 That is clean bore, ramrod weight only, drop to the bottom, after the first shot, you gotta push, but the next three will go in an inch or so, (group) without swabbing.

I wouldn't shoot that much powder (110 grs.) until I checked the lug to make sure it's brazed properly and then glass bed it. if there's any movement in the stock it will possible rip that lug off.

Latest posts

Back