New East TN member saying hello

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm1021

Reaction score
New to the board and SML in general. I have always had a love hate relationship with muzzleloaders in general. I could never keep one from rusting, they weren't ever uo to my accuracy standards, and I've had some horror stories with them while hunting.

Last year I had some of the biggest bucks on camera I've ever had in East TN. What would have been my biggest buck in TN, #3 overall, walked out and i popped a cap on him without my muzzleloader going off. I vowed at that point I will own a smokeless muzzleloader.

I'm currently in process of doing my first build. 700 action, brux. 45 1:20" SS barrel, and HIS. Im looking forward to getting a load developed and seeing what this can do.

New to the board and SML in general. I have always had a love hate relationship with muzzleloaders in general. I could never keep one from rusting, they weren't ever uo to my accuracy standards, and I've had some horror stories with them while hunting.

Last year I had some of the biggest bucks on camera I've ever had in East TN. What would have been my biggest buck in TN, #3 overall, walked out and i popped a cap on him without my muzzleloader going off. I vowed at that point I will own a smokeless muzzleloader.

I'm currently in process of doing my first build. 700 action, brux. 45 1:20" SS barrel, and HIS. Im looking forward to getting a load developed and seeing what this can do.
What town? I'm in Bulls Gap, (hawkins county)... I went just the opposite of you, for the same reason.. (almost smokeless, as in BH 209 rem 700 didn't even fizzle. i went to a diff ignition on it but also went straight blackpowder sidelock.). I bought a nice T/C renegade...... It was really damp/wet here for ML last yr.. I'm guessing our cap popping without the big bang & smoke may have came on the same day! I've taken many a deer (except with ML).. sounds like you have a really nice rig coming.. Do you know what powder you need? (smokeless).. it's more difficult to find than BP now.. let me know what your going to use, I might have something..... Kirk

A world of information here. I had no one to teach me 35 years ago and made every mistake in the book. Follow along here and your build should be as reliable as any CF.

Welcome and enjoy.

What town? I'm in Bulls Gap, (hawkins county)... I went just the opposite of you, for the same reason.. (almost smokeless, as in BH 209 rem 700 didn't even fizzle. i went to a diff ignition on it but also went straight blackpowder sidelock.). I bought a nice T/C renegade...... It was really damp/wet here for ML last yr.. I'm guessing our cap popping without the big bang & smoke may have came on the same day! I've taken many a deer (except with ML).. sounds like you have a really nice rig coming.. Do you know what powder you need? (smokeless).. it's more difficult to find than BP now.. let me know what your going to use, I might have something..... Kirk
You're not far. Im just up the road in sulphur springs (edge if washington/Greene county) im looking for H4895 and 8208XBR which of course have become unobtainable! Im excited to get it all put together. From what I've seen come out of the builders shop, she should be a shooter!!

And we probably did do it the same afternoon hahaha. I was so mad, sick, and frustrated all at the same time that night. I come out of the woods fuming!

A world of information here. I had no one to teach me 35 years ago and made every mistake in the book. Follow along here and your build should be as reliable as any CF.

Welcome and enjoy.
I've already picked up a ton and hope to contribute as much as I can on stuff I am knowledgeable on. I have been hunting since I was three ans eat sleep and breath firearms, so hopefully I can contribute something to the vast amount of knowledge thats on this board!

You're not far. Im just up the road in sulphur springs (edge if washington/Greene county) im looking for H4895 and 8208XBR which of course have become unobtainable! Im excited to get it all put together. From what I've seen come out of the builders shop, she should be a shooter!!

And we probably did do it the same afternoon hahaha. I was so mad, sick, and frustrated all at the same time that night. I come out of the woods fuming!
didn't bother me a much as it surprised me. it was a meat deer,,, i decided to just wait a week until rifle season & missed another one with my pistol!!!! (the last one i missed with centerfire rifle was in 1974!)

i've got 8lbs of 8208 xbr, & will be glad to sell you 1/2 of it.. also found a pound if imr 4895.
kirk

Last edited:

what ignition are you using on your new rig?

Well I definitely don't want to strain your voice any more. Ill shoot you a PM and email.
its no strain,, just can't do anything but whisper & cough.... if you sent an email it got deleted,(my wife deleted everthing by mistake again...), call me tomorrow evening, later the better. I was pharmacist at the walgreens in greeneville (aj hwy when it first opened & for a couple yrs.. & used to go to turkey shoots every weekend in Jonesboro.. we are no more than 30 minutes apart i would say... looking forward to hearing from you/meeting you.. i would like to see your rig. when you get it.. (I built a good number of "benchrest" rigs and custom hunting rifles here.. have 2 lathes, milling machine gathering dust right now. might need to do one for me some day)...

its no strain,, just can't do anything but whisper & cough.... if you sent an email it got deleted,(my wife deleted everthing by mistake again...), call me tomorrow evening, later the better. I was pharmacist at the walgreens in greeneville (aj hwy when it first opened & for a couple yrs.. & used to go to turkey shoots every weekend in Jonesboro.. we are no more than 30 minutes apart i would say... looking forward to hearing from you/meeting you.. i would like to see your rig. when you get it.. (I built a good number of "benchrest" rigs and custom hunting rifles here.. have 2 lathes, milling machine gathering dust right now. might need to do one for me some day)...
I feel like I could probably talk your head off and pick your brain to where you would beg me to leave!! Hahaha. I literally just picked up an old lathe yesterday to try to get a start into machining! We will have to get together for sure man!

Latest posts

Back