New Encore Pro Hunter Muzzle Loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseran

Reaction score
Now that Thompson Center Arms has released the new Pro Hunter Muzzle loader, I wonder if anyone on this site has purchased one or just one the new barrels. Looking for input pro or con. :?:

Not too sure about anyone from here yet also, but Redhawk1 of Graybeard has purchased one. We are all still awaiting his range report of it. I think that the pro hunter is not really too much different except for the minor things like a fluted barrel, t-handle rod. Two of the major differences is the hammer offsets to the left or right, or d.c.. The last major difference is no longer needing to remove the extractor to clean, or to unthread the plug, just simply twist 90 degrees and remove. Here is a link with all these differences. Personally I think the whole gun is a pro.
http://www.tcarms.com/TC_HTML/TC_New_PHspecs.htm

I have no plans on getting the new pro hunter barrel, much less the whole rifle, for $725! I'm not sold on the 90 degree breech plug idea....does it stop blowback?
The new extractor idea sounds good, but I still take my Encore apart and clean the whole rifle after shooting so it won't save me on that anyway. I have never had a muzzleloader that has absolutely no breech fouling and the Encore is no exception.

In my opinion if you are too lazy to clean your muzzleloader like it should be cleaned then either buy a Savage and use smokeless powder or stay with centerfire rifles. :!:

On my Encore I changed the extractor and replaced it with one of the new ones that T/C offers. You just swing it off to the side and remove the breech plug also I added the T-handle to the cleaning rod.

Will wait and see if the 28" Fluted Barrel makes any difference in performance.

The extractor on the Pro Hunter model acts as an interlock to prevent the barrel from closing unless 1) the breech plug is fully inserted or completely removed
AND 2) the extractor is rotated into its functional position.

Hey that Pro Hunter looks GREAT.

Only one small problem.

It won't shoot smokeless out of the ML barrel!? :)

mooseran said:
On my Encore I changed the extractor and replaced it with one of the new ones that T/C offers. You just swing it off to the side and remove the breech plug also I added the T-handle to the cleaning rod.

Will wait and see if the 28" Fluted Barrel makes any difference in performance.

I bought the EZ extractor, and returned it a few days later. I got to reading on this site and found many guys had removed it altogether. As they posted, there is really no need to have them. The primers tend fall right out.

I haven't had a primer 1 that was difficult to remove. Saved me $14.00.

Latest posts

Back