new from new york

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a cloud of smoke

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been muzzle loading for many years, I have 2 older knight muzzle loaders and am looking to get a new one, I dont know what brand will suit my needs, so im here to get an education on whats out on the market..I would like to reach out to 150 and possibly 200 yards with some accuracy for deer hunting, so any help with models of muzzle loaders and bullets and powder loads would help alot...I have to spend some time looking through the forum for info and ideas...
Happy New Year to all...

Depending on the condition of your Knights, there should be no problem getting them to shoot accurately to at least 150yds. How much more do you need?
A lot of shooters swear by the “older” Knights!

Depending on the condition of your Knights, there should be no problem getting them to shoot accurately to at least 150yds. How much more do you need?
A lot of shooters swear by the “older” Knights!
so far I can get a good 4 inch grouping at 100 yards, im going to play around with bullet weights and powder charges to see if I can tighten that up and go further..

Share with us what older Knight you have if you will.
I dont have the muzzle loaders with me now, and I dont remember the models, but the first one is inline that started out with percussion cap, I converted to 209 primer and you pull the bolt back with your fingers, the next one is a bolt action with thumb hole stock and longer barrel, both are scoped...next time upstate ill get the models of them...

As stated, either rifle should give you accuracy for killing deer and smaller to 150 yards. I have 4 Knights and any of them will shoot a number of powder/bullets extremely well with careful measuring and shooting. When you get your hands on them let us know. Also you could research what bullet/powder/primer you want to shoot. There are some combinations that are quit popular here. You'll find them in other threads.

Pretty nice to have two Knights to choose from right out of the gate.

As stated, either rifle should give you accuracy for killing deer and smaller to 150 yards. I have 4 Knights and any of them will shoot a number of powder/bullets extremely well with careful measuring and shooting. When you get your hands on them let us know. Also you could research what bullet/powder/primer you want to shoot. There are some combinations that are quit popular here. You'll find them in other threads.

Pretty nice to have two Knights to choose from right out of the gate.
thank you, can you give me some of the combos you use for longer distance?..pellet or powder brands , and sabot and bullet brand and weights..

I am planning to travel out of state to hunt deer this coming fall. For long distance shooting
I have a Knight Elite with a 209 primer LeHigh adapter for Blackhorn 209 powder. You stated you have a bolt Knight and you should be able to set it up the same. So my set up is
100-110 grains by volume equivelent Blackhorn 209 so I dont have to worry about an immediate cleaning.
Winchester 209 primer because I have some
Precision Rifle Dead Center 220 grain bullets. because they are about as aerodynamic as MZ bullets go.

But then 😀

I have 3 pull the bolt back with your fingers (plunger gun)
The shot below was at 90 yards and about 1"low of dead center. Exactly where it should be.
gun was a Knight Bighorn
powder Swiss 80 grains by volume
cardboard and felt wad
bullet 420 grain no excuses.

The bullet may have a little arc to it but if you hit the deer at 150 yards in the vitals it will die.

1672935972732.png

There are many other combintaions that will work beautifully. I ask other members to add to this info.

Back