New from NW Oregon

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper53

Reaction score
69 years young and just retired. Been shooting and hunting since I was 13 but new to muzzleloaders. I have 2 - 50 caliber in lines, a CVA Accura and a Remington 700. Any load suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
My wife and I are planning on visiting all 50 states. We hope to fish in all of the states and hunt in many of them. That is one of the reasons I got the muzzleloaders, hoping for more options on seasons.
Have never traveled outside of Oregon except for military bases in California, Louisiana, South Carolina and Texas. There was no time for sightseeing then so we are really looking forward to seeing what each state has to offer.
My son and I have been buying deer preference points in Wyoming for a number of years and hope to hunt there in the next couple years.
My wife and I are planning on visiting Wyoming this year and find an area or unit we want to apply for. We both caught covid last July and still have respiratory problems. resulting from that.
I would appreciate any suggestions of areas or units that are less than 6000 feet elevation and have decent public access for a DIY hunt.
We are working to get our lungs built up but it is a slow process.
Wish you all the best.
Keep your powder dry!

Welcome from Beaver County PA. Best wishes on your travels…I too would love to see every state someday when I retire. Also hope that your recovery from Covid is soon. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your retirement, and sorry to read about your respiratory problems. Best wishes.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Where I am in the southeast part of the state, there is about 300,000 acres of public land hunting opportunities.
A lot of it is in the hill country of the Kiamichi Mountains but there are some areas down on the bottom land.
Lots of deer and hogs.

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Where I am in the southeast part of the state, there is about 300,000 acres of public land hunting opportunities.
A lot of it is in the hill country of the Kiamichi Mountains but there are some areas down on the bottom land.
Lots of deer and hogs.
Thanks so much I will try and remember that when we visit Oklahoma. My wife had family living in the Locust Grove area a few generations back. We were going to check out the Cemetaries in that area.
You have a good day and keep your powder dry

Welcome from SW Oregon. Recently retired myself. Hunting muzzleload nearly 40 years. We have some good muzzload hunts here in Oregon, so don't pass that up.

Covid recovery is tough. Good luck there. I lived in Wyoming (6 months), Utah (5 years) and 27 years in Colorado. I say this to establish some reference to my knowledge of Wyoming and general knowledge of this geographic area. Trying to find hunting below 6k elevation could be real challenging. My town growing up was at 4,500 ft. WY G&F have a great hunt planning tool and maybe you are already tied into it. Take a look at the interactive map where you can click on the map units. You can read details about each unit, including elevations.

Hope you get some good hunting info. We are planning a Wyoming antelope hunt in a few years.

Welcome from SW Oregon. Recently retired myself. Hunting muzzleload nearly 40 years. We have some good muzzload hunts here in Oregon, so don't pass that up.

Covid recovery is tough. Good luck there. I lived in Wyoming (6 months), Utah (5 years) and 27 years in Colorado. I say this to establish some reference to my knowledge of Wyoming and general knowledge of this geographic area. Trying to find hunting below 6k elevation could be real challenging. My town growing up was at 4,500 ft. WY G&F have a great hunt planning tool and maybe you are already tied into it. Take a look at the interactive map where you can click on the map units. You can read details about each unit, including elevations.

Hope you get some good hunting info. We are planning a Wyoming antelope hunt in a few years.

It was DIY hunt maps that had elevations. A quick look at units in the SW corner was lower than 6k. So there maybe some areas. A few more random looks and I saw a mix. I don't know if those areas are good deer hunting. Good luck.

Hello and welcome from Coastal North Carolina.
An Accura load recommendation that shoots well in my Accura is a Barnes 300 Grain Expandable, MMP 24 black sabot, 70 grains (measured/weighed) BH 209 powder, and a Federal 209A primer. Thor also makes some great bullets that are legal in Oregon.

Latest posts

Back