New from Winchester, .350 Legend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohio.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: All straight-walled cartridge calibers from a minimum of .357 to a maximum of .50. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

I've seen that before, and heard both the 0.355" and 0.357" mentioned in Winchester Review videos from the SHOT Show.

I have also seen actual caliper measurement pictures of the FMJ bullets in the Winchester factory loaded ammo, and they were 0.355" diameter.

So hopefully for Winchesters sake, and everyone else's, both of their actual hunting load bullets are 0.357" in diameter like stated.

Actual pictures of Winchester Factory Loaded FMJ bullets. Starting on post #259 and #260 (Bullet measurement), #265 (comparison pics), post # 270 for the headstamp pic.

"It is a dainty little round. Plan on pulling a bullet tonight and measuring Brass is pretty dirty. Almost looks like once fired that was run thru dirty media.
20190409_171047-jpg.388661

44 Mag, 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster
20190409_174122-jpg.388675

.355 Diameter bullet
20190409_174210-jpg.388677

223, 350, 30.06 300wm
20190410_172148-jpg.388991

9mm 38 special, 350
20190410_172225-jpg.388993

Headstamp pic.
20190412_180409-jpg.389711
"

https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/new-caliber-350-legend.634875/page-18

I realize that pic is not the proper way to measure diameter. I'm assuming it was done the proper way, and displayed this way for the picture? If not perfectly 180 degrees across from each other, one could get a false measurement of 0.355" on a 0.357" diameter bullet.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but aernt all full metal jacket bullets a hair smaller diameter than the original bullet diameter because the bullet is so hard. It would be hard on the rifling in the barrel if not.

But the hunting bullets are supposed to be .357 diameter from what I have read. All the specs of the 350 Legend 150gr Winchester deer season XP have been given to Iowa DNR and the 350 Legend has been approved for use in Iowa.

I watched a podcast with the Drury’s and somebody from Winchester. Winchester has all the specs approved by the Iowa DNR and the Drury’s not wanting to take their word and get in trouble. They sent the bullet in to Iowa DNR and got it approved to on their own. So it’s been approved by Iowa DNR twice now and they say it’s a legal hunting round in Iowa.

One thing I don’t understand about the 350 Legend. Is the 350 Legend is supposed to run on 55,000 psi of pressure. So how are they offering it in a TC Contender that’s supposed to have a 45,000 max?

I really have no need for the 350 Legend. I already have a 13in TC Contender pistol in 357 Max and a 23in TC Contender rifle in 35rem. But if Ruger offers it in a cheap little bolt action it may be worth looking at. Just to be a little different and a cheap beat around truck gun.

I do hope Winchester releases there bullets for reloaders thought to try in my 357 Max pistol.

Not sure I'd care for that round. Ok maybe for kids.
But it is something new and some will spend a ton of money on it.

View attachment 4252 ,

It will be a light recoiling round for the women, kids, and old men. It'll also work well for anyone out to 150 yards, no problem.

The Factory FMJ Target rounds are only $9.99 per box of 20. That's less than 1/3rd the price of most Factory loaded .450 Bushmaster ammo. The Factory Hunting loads are supposed to be around 1/2 the price of the .450 Bushmaster ammo.

I surely don't need one, but if CVA does chamber the .350 Legend in the Scout V2 like it says they will, my Ruger .450 Bushmaster will be looking for a new home. It can't hold a candle to my CVA Scout V2 .450 Bushmaster anyways, even with the aftermarket $150 Timney Trigger. That would give me a nice pair of Scout V2's in both calibers.

what state allows fmj to hunt with? Do the other bullets measure .355

The FMJ’s for $9.99 a box and low recoil is what makes the 350 Legend a great looking round. Kids women and all new shooters really need a lot of practice. They need to be confident when the time comes to make the shot. Most people don’t reload and buying several boxes of 25-35 dollar ammo for a kid or women to shoot at the range is out of the question for most people. But at $9.99 a box lots of practice with the gun becomes affordable. Then the 150gr Deer Season XP’s are only $24.99 a box to hunt with.

The best practice for kids and new shooters is squirrel hunting with a 22lr though. If they can consistently find squirrels in the scope and hit them. Then killing a deer isn’t that hard. They do have to be confident in the gun there going to deer hunt with though and the only way they can be is lots of shooting.

I may be wrong but aernt all full metal jacket bullets a hair smaller diameter than the original bullet diameter because the bullet is so hard. It would be hard on the rifling in the barrel if not.

No, fmj bullets aren't typically a smaller diameter unless it is a steel or bi-metal jacket. None of my .224, .308, .355, .400, or .45 fmj bullets are of a smaller diameter; they measure exactly what the rest of the bullets for those calibers measure.

By the definition in the Iowa Regulations, it would not be legal to use with 0.355" diameter/caliber bullets, even if it does have a 0.357" diameter/caliber bore. The bullets diameter would need to be between 0.357" and 0.500".

"Rifle Equipment:

• Centerfire rifles .357 caliber or larger, shooting straight-walled ammunition with an expanding-type bullet where:
    • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimless cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 0.850" to 1.800"
    • Straight-walled, centerfire, rimmed cartridges have bullets that are from 0.357" to 0.500" in diameter and have a case length from 1.285" to 1.800"
  • Those centerfire cartridges that are listed as legal in Iowa’s hunting regulations"

I know the Drury's were hunting with them, that's why I said the hunting bullets are possibly 0.357" diameter, and not 0.355" like the FMJ's? if they are only 0.355" in diameter as well, then they were hunting illegally as to the letter of the law. It's pretty clear in the regulations!

The SAAMI-accepted drawing shows .354-.357" bullets; not just the .355" that was originally leaked out. Winchester's fmj bullets are .355". Sure hope their hunting bullets are .357" or else there will be a lot of disappointed customers in places like Iowa that have to have .357" or larger bullets!

And I sure hope that MGM and others waited for the SAAMI acceptance to proceed with barrel production since so much spec inaccuracies had been leaked/published to the public. Even MGM's website says that they had produced both .355" and .357" barrels to try out with the ammo they were given. I would sure hate to hand over that much cash and find out I had a .355" bore barrel.

Called CVA Customer Service today, Chad answered the phone about 3 seconds after clicking the Customer Service number "0".

I asked about if they had a release date on the new Scout V2 in .350 Legend. Nothing they can say definitively yet.

They will not be chambering the Hunter in .350 Legend.

I also asked about the possibility of them chambering the new Cascade bolt actions in .350 Legend or .450 Bushmaster down the road. Nothing they are aware of at this time.

Sure is nice to have a real person answer the phone immediately, and not have to wait in a que for up to a half hour or so, or worse yet nobody answer the phone after several attempts.

Got an email today from Ruger along with the Ruger American they are also releasing one of their AR’s in 350 Legend!

Here is a couple pics from the NRA in INDY yesterday.

Ballistics Gel test below bullets and white boxes. Zoom in.
IMG_20190426_160758062.jpg

PowerMax Bonded 160 grain.
IMG_20190426_160849726.jpg

The Good news is for anyone waiting for the Scout TD in .350 Legend, is they should start becoming available in August.

Lame.

Legend was the worst name they could have chosen for such a lame cartridge.

Look at the numbers. Winchester obviously fudged every single number in the book in their effort to promote this lame cartridge. Its pathetic what they did. Has anyone read the numbers and comparisons Winchester has published.? Is anyone actually believing it? ALL the numbers are obviously a lie. Pretty sad really. Hopefully folks know better

Lame.

Legend was the worst name they could have chosen for such a lame cartridge.

Look at the numbers. Winchester obviously fudged every single number in the book in their effort to promote this lame cartridge. Its pathetic what they did. Has anyone read the numbers and comparisons Winchester has published.? Is anyone actually believing it? ALL the numbers are obviously a lie. Pretty sad really. Hopefully folks know better

Exactly which numbers do you think they lied about? If you are talking about the 30-30 comparison they used a 20" barrel for both the 150 grain bullets. The advertised numbers for 30-30 are a joke. They used a 24" test barrel for the numbers on the box. The vast majority of 30-30 rifles use a 20" tube.

Latest posts

Back