New front sight on the Rice 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, 100 Yard ZERO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
As I figured i would, i ended up removing the 1-1/4” High adjustable Windage Front sight from my new Rice 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Barrel, I wasn’t happy with how much MOA (Staff) i was giving up to Get my 100 Yard ZERO. After some math I decided to try an .850” It turned out to be a TAYLOR Fit, I couldn’t be happier :lewis: I kinda hated to lose the Adjustable Front, But fact is i didn’t need it.

I took the Rifle out this morning with my Rangefinder to SET my 100 Yard ZERO. The Bullet i chose was the 610 Grain Grease Groove, Bull SNOT Lubed :) The Target is DEAD ON 100 Yards from my Muzzle, Ranged with my Leica 1600 Rangefinder.
cBZJjGy.jpg

New Shorter .850 Front Sight, Non adjustable Windage, With Bubble Level
PQKCrOt.jpg

Again, Bullets i chose were My 610 Grain BACO Grease Groove Bullet/Mold
va3phQK.jpg

My very first Shot, Cold Clean Bore was Low, just at the edge of the White, bottom of Target. I swabbed out, Made an Elevation adjustment but NO windage, That shot landed PERFECT Elevation, And left on the Edge of the Bull
ffFLvQS.jpg

I covered the 2nd Shot at the left edge of the Bull with a White Target Paster, Made a Windage adjustment and Then started a 3 Shot Group. This Group just BARELY misses 1” inch, I am very happy with the Results, a 610 Grain Bullet nearing 1,400 Fps is a SERIOUS Rifle, an attention Grabber!
2AqA8bb.jpg

I went ahead and Ran my Chrono, 1,371 Fps
jmk9SkH.jpg

Here is my 100 Yard ZERO Setting on my Staff, It Don’t get any better than this
8xxmWNp.jpg

That’s awesome! Did you have 100 gns under that monster? That bullet will wake you up.

As I figured i would, i ended up removing the 1-1/4” High adjustable Windage Front sight from my new Rice 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Barrel, I wasn’t happy with how much MOA (Staff) i was giving up to Get my 100 Yard ZERO. After some math I decided to try an .850” It turned out to be a TAYLOR Fit, I couldn’t be happier :lewis:
Ive never been great at math. So could you share how you determine what height front sight to go with? Other than trial and error.

Ive never been great at math. So could you share how you determine what height front sight to go with? Other than trial and error.
True - nothing like " trial and error" after you spent all that time with the calculator

Tough question, that i don’t have an easy answer for. There are folks that are REALLY good with this kind of thing, This isn’t my Strong suit. I go by Trial & Error.

I don’t have a “set n stone“ way, Again it’s Trial & Error on a New Rig Until I figure it out? These long Range Soule sights sit high, it’s simply the nature of them, Therefore you need a Taller Front sight in order to get a 100 Yard Zero.

Lee Shaver sent me the Wrong adjustable front sight by mistake, i asked for the 1-1/8, But he sent me his 1-1/4, After Zeroing the 1-1/4 front sight I wasn’t happy with how much Staff i was having to use up to obtain my 100 Yard Zero. So with the Soule Tang sight Set at my 100 Yard Zero i used my Calipers to measure the Distance on my Staff from Bottomed out, to my 100 Zero mark which was 0.300. Then I removed the 1-1/4“ Front sight, Measured it from bottom of the Dovetail to center of the Globe, Then i took the measurements of the Shorter .850 Globe and subtracted the Difference, It was REALLY close to my 0.300, I could see it was gonna be a good fit, and sure enough it was :lewis:

Here is my 100 Yard Zero (or very close to it) With the Much Taller 1-1/4” Adjustable front. I am losing 35 MOA here. That really wasn’t the Concern, I like to keep my Sight systems as LOW PRO as i can
DqFbz4u.jpg

And here is my RANGED 100 Zero with the Shorter .850 Front Globe Sight. This is IDEAL for me :lewis: I stil have 5 MOA of Down adjustment if by chance i ever need it? I will EASILY be able to sight in with ANY .50 Cal Bullet i own, and not give up hardly any of my Staff (MOA)
RfLx0r1.jpg

With my RANGED 100 Yard Zero set at my 5 MOA Mark on the Staff using the Shorter .850 Globe front Sight, I ran the Sight to the Top/Stop, and counted MOA, I have 255 MOA of Elevation at my Disposal :p I need Roughly 130 MOA to get to 1,000 Yards

This isn’t my Strong suit. I go by Trial & Error.
What Lewis is saying is that he got 17 different front sights in .023" increments. He then drank a case of 'RockStar' energy drinks and cast 500 of those Monster 610 Grainers in a marathon 12 hours casting session. He then went off to the range and installed and removed those sights, shooting groups and using 75 sheets of his target papers, taking 263 bullets and 3.75 pounds of Swiss (the powder, not the cheese - In case @michiganmuzzy or @Bad Karma are reading this😁) to get 'er dialed in the way he wanted it.

What Lewis hasn't disclosed is that on Monday, he has a consultation with an Orthopedic Surgeon to schedule his shoulder reconstruction surgery!!
:roll:

Lewis' dedication to the sport and spreading the knowledge knows no bounds, and Dammit, that's why we love ya so much!!

Last edited:
:roll:

Lewis' dedication to the sport and spreading the knowledge knows no bounds, and Dammit, that's why we love ya so much!!

Lewis is more information than most can handle, he spends more time pulling a trigger than anyone I know. I'm glad he has the time to share (always business, interesting, no blowing smoke like me and the Karma Kid :woohoo:you guys are great).

Lewis is more information than most can handle, he spends more time pulling a trigger than anyone I know. I'm glad he has the time to share (always business, interesting, no blowing smoke like me and the Karma Kid :woohoo:you guys are great).

I’m here to learn... and shoot the breeze, local donut shop has been closed for the morning “save the world” crowd for too damn long!

...Adding Buck to the MM list of agitators...
Or favorites... or miscreants?

Last edited:
We're just blowing smoke so I'll share this with you guys, you'll have to laugh at my screw up.

SUBJECT: Here's one that I passed on .....

I know, "what's wrong with you???" This guy was so amazing and still hanging around after me bouncing a ramrod off his one horn. The year before 1990, "1989 Muzzle Loading Season - Colorado", this guy shows up at my place. Probably chased out of Estes Park (Roosevelt National Park). That's where the good mule deer hide during hunting season.

We are hunting on the back side of our 300 acres next to the neighbors 10,000 acres (all private) and this guy pops up (he's so big I though he was closer than he was). My friends I always hunt together here, they are watching to see what happens from a distance. I peek around a large moss rock and there he is. I put the sights on his neck (easy shot). Boy was that a wrong thing to think. !@#$%^ I'm using my favorite GRRW Leman Trade Rifle (.58 cal. that really groups). I touch one off and you guessed it he's further away than I thought - see the round hit the ground in front of him.

I'm on a slope going down hill, my friends are yelling at me to reload which I'm doing. They are yelling "he's coming straight at you" crap I'm loading as fast as I can. Pull the rifle to my shoulder and there he is - in my face, scared the you know what out of me, probably him too. I am shaking now, put the sights on his nose and fire. About get knocked on my butt as the ramrod fly's out the muzzle and bounces off this guys horn. He's gone in a second and I'm shocked that I did such a dumb thing as shooting my ramrod at him. My friends are rolling around on the ground, crying with laughter. !~@#$%^ The rest of the season I was the joke they were talking about.

1990 mulie.jpg

Latest posts

Back