new guy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoner

Reaction score
hi, I'm Mike and i'm new to muzzleloading. I'm 62 yrs old,retired, and reside in San Diego CA. I also own and maintain a place in Apache JUnction AZ. I've been shooting and reloading smokeless cartridge ammo most of my life and just recently(kind of on a whim) bought a used CVA Mountain Rifle sidelock in like new condition, .54 caliber. The bore is like a mirror. The old boy i bought this rifle from gave me a lb of FFG Goex unopened,a lb of Goex Pinnacle FFFg, a package of ox_yoke prelubed .018 patches, a tin of #11 caps(Remington), a nipple wrench, and some Knight BP solvent and some Knight oil. I got all this stuff,including the rifle for the grand total of $125 cash. I've also picked up some .530 round balls, slowly accumulating the stuff i need to shoot and clean this gun. My local gun club has muzzleloader competition the first Sunday every month so my plan is to attend the next shoot,see what's going on, and hopefully get someone to walk me thru loading and shooting this rifle......already learned a lot looking around this forum and glad to be here

Welcome to the camp! Nice gun. Sounds like you have everything pretty well handled, you will find most of that info in the stickies (top few posts under each thread, that remain at the top) check the new to muzzleloading section, cuyuga has a great tutorial there. enjoy!

You need to turn yourself into the police.. you stole that rifle.. :mrgreen: Wow you got a great deal. If its an old Mountain Rifle it might even have a Douglas Barrel. The CVA Mountain Rifles were great rifles. I learned to shoot on one but in .58 caliber. Just a real nice gun. Welcome to the forum. And have fun with that rifle.

Welcome to the Forum. Great to have you here!

cayuga said:
You need to turn yourself into the police.. you stole that rifle.. :mrgreen: Wow you got a great deal.

I was thinking the same thing. :lol: Did not know about the Douglas barrels though, that is interesting. My first Muzzleloader was a CVA Mountain Rifle Kit in .50 cal. Put it together a tad over 30 years ago, still have that rifle and it shoots great. I just don't shoot the open sites as well as I used to, so I have not shot it in quite some time. :( Took several deer and a large hog with it.

I am quite sure it will serve you well.

not sure about how old this rifle is but the barrel has a "Spain" stamp on it. Thanks for the welcome,lots of good info here.....Mike

thank you very much.sir. It's funny, when i bought this rifle i figured it was worth the money i paid for it as a wall hanger....looks so cool. Like i said i'm new to BP guns but view the whole thing as a respectful nod to folks of a different era with a LOT fewer choices than rifleman today....but they still got the job done, if not some of us wouldn't be here. i'm kind of an oddball at the range here in SoCal. It's AR's and plastic handguns here.....then i show up with my Contender carbine 22 Hornet, my 30-30 336C(1977) or my Winnie M94 32 Special(1942)......yup, i'm an oddball here.....Mike

zoner said:
thank you very much.sir. It's funny, when i bought this rifle i figured it was worth the money i paid for it as a wall hanger....looks so cool. Like i said i'm new to BP guns but view the whole thing as a respectful nod to folks of a different era with a LOT fewer choices than rifleman today....but they still got the job done, if not some of us wouldn't be here. i'm kind of an oddball at the range here in SoCal. It's AR's and plastic handguns here.....then i show up with my Contender carbine 22 Hornet, my 30-30 336C(1977) or my Winnie M94 32 Special(1942)......yup, i'm an oddball here.....Mike

I can remember the looks I got the first time I went to a public range with a .54 caliber T/C Renegade. It was a percussion model but 30 years ago, people just did not shoot them much. But I got all set up almost center on a public range line and finally touched it off. After I shot it was quiet as a church. Everyone was staring at me, grinning like they won something. By the third shot there was a group of men standing there watching me. And then the questions started... Wait until you get to a range.

Welcome. Nice looking rifle. Have fun and be safe. Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Good luck. This stuff is addictive. I put together a TC Hawkin rifle about 30 years ago ,Still have it . That was my first but not last. (addictive) I tell you.

:yeah:

WELCOME ABOARD zoner :!: :!: I think your going to have a good time with your side locks. :wink:

Ray........... :D

Latest posts

Back