New guy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper03

Reaction score
New guy here,

Metalshaper or Dagwood is what they call me. Been building Mule ear and underhammers mostly. Helped with a mini Parrot cannon build and have a baby Coehern Mortar that shoots Golf Balls!
Have done some black and bladesmithing. Have helped build a couple of different riflers and put some grooves down a tube or two. Build mostly from 'scratch' buying only a barrel here and there
and making most of the stuff myself. Built my first two with very limited power equipment.. and have grown my shop to include a lil AA 109 lathe, a Sieg X2 mini mill, a couple of band saws and
such. Been slowly trying to teach myself engraving, but that's a steep learning curve.

I have include a few pics of some of my stuff:
Brass Box Lock.jpgMuley.jpgDS UH1.jpgMy Muley.jpg
Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Last edited:
Bruce,
Typically, the originals did not have half positions normally.. 'most' of mine do, just because I think its a better way to build them and
feels more normal to most users. The Medberry style shown in my photos ( unfished as it is ) does not have a half position but I'm
gonna put a hammer block into the plate so it can be carried in a somewhat hammer off the cap mode. The other ( unfinished :rolleyes:)
lock with the outside mainspring.. is my design and has a half position.. and is mod'd to use a normal style trigger or even a set trigger..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Bruce,
Typically, the originals did not have half positions normally.. 'most' of mine do, just because I think its a better way to build them and
feels more normal to most users. The Medberry style shown in my photos ( unfished as it is ) does not have a half position but I'm
gonna put a hammer block into the plate so it can be carried in a somewhat hammer off the cap mode. The other ( unfinished :rolleyes:)
lock with the outside mainspring.. is my design and has a half position.. and is mod'd to use a normal style trigger or even a set trigger..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Do you sell the locks with the halfcock position in the sear? The one with the mainspring on the outside of the lock plate?

Does Treso make an AMPCO nipple for mule ear locks?

Do you sell the locks with the halfcock position in the sear? The one with the mainspring on the outside of the lock plate?

Does Treso make an AMPCO nipple for mule ear locks?
Bruce,

Not as yet I haven't sold any, but am considering making a few to test the waters.. any nipple can be used in building a mule ear rifle. I usually
customize one, so the fit is correct for the hammer strike and that the cap is just a press fit.. although I have lost fewer caps off my Muleys and underhammers
than regular rifles by doing this.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

New to this forum but not to some of it's users as mossie. I too, love the underhammers. One of my efforts with a H&A action (my fav) Wood is Russian Olive, no collusion. This is a switch barrel with 50 and 54 cal barrels thanx to Pecatonica river rifles conversions. I've taken 4 pronghons here inS/C wy with my H&A UH ,45cal orig Numrich rifle. Trader in Wyo

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG