New HAM in the family.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amateur radio, also known as ham radio, is the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify "a duly authorised person interested in radioelectric practice with a purely personal aim and without pecuniary interest;" (either direct monetary or other similar reward) and to differentiate it from commercial broadcasting, public safety (such as police and fire), or professional two-way radio services (such as maritime, aviation, taxis, etc.). The amateur radio service (amateur service and amateur-satellite service) is established by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) through the Radio Regulations.

My oldest sister (R.I.P.) was a HAM radio operator for as far back as I can remember. She also built her own equipment.
She was listening when the U.S. invaded Granada and told the family about it.
When she started getting sick with 3 different types of cancer, of course she stopped. I actually use one of her old 64' towers for the "off air" TV channels.

Amateur radio, also known as ham radio, is the use of radio frequency spectrum for purposes of non-commercial exchange of messages, wireless experimentation, self-training, private recreation, radiosport, contesting, and emergency communication. The term "amateur" is used to specify "a duly authorised person interested in radioelectric practice with a purely personal aim and without pecuniary interest;" (either direct monetary or other similar reward) and to differentiate it from commercial broadcasting, public safety (such as police and fire), or professional two-way radio services (such as maritime, aviation, taxis, etc.). The amateur radio service (amateur service and amateur-satellite service) is established by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) through the Radio Regulations.

My oldest sister (R.I.P.) was a HAM radio operator for as far back as I can remember. She also built her own equipment.
She was listening when the U.S. invaded Granada and told the family about it.
When she started getting sick with 3 different types of cancer, of course she stopped. I actually use one of her old 64' towers for the "off air" TV channels.

Thanks for the mention of your sister, if we keep them in our thoughts and stories then they never truly are gone.
Great way to put an old tower to use.
Do you still use or have her radio gear?
She is KE8RUK.

Thanks for the mention of your sister, if we keep them in our thoughts and stories then they never truly are gone.
Great way to put an old tower to use.
Do you still use or have her radio gear?
She is KE8RUK.
I don't have any of her radios or items, just the tower. I think when she first came down with cancer she sold it all. When she said she was going to do away with the tower, I jumped on it. 64' free standing/tilt commercial tower. Its HUGE. I had to make a special base for it and IIRC I used 20 bags of concrete. I hook up a pully system to a large tree and use a rope and truck if it needs to come down. I'm to darn old to climb. We just had a new off air antenna installed, but by a professional. He climbed the tower like a squirrel LOL

Congrats to the wife as its an accomplishment. :thumb:

So tonight the wife took her HAM test because it has been a life goal and to honor her father that passed 3 years ago.
He was a lifelong HAM that built his own equipment.
She passed her test with 100% and the family is super proud of the dedication and work she put into it.
Just had to tell y’all.

Congrats' on the new license !!
Radio can be a whole lot of fun.
I started in the old Heathkit days and I've had my license for a LONG time.

QTH Tulsa, OK
73's es CUL SK

Bob - N5NAE

Amen Tom! "make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands "

Laus Deo, Ken

So tonight the wife took her HAM test because it has been a life goal and to honor her father that passed 3 years ago.
He was a lifelong HAM that built his own equipment.
She passed her test with 100% and the family is super proud of the dedication and work she put into it.
Just had to tell y’all.

Congratulations. When my Dad passed I was able to turn in my call sign and acquire his so it was kept in the family.

One of toughest tests I've taken was 20 words per minute code. Took me a good 6 months of practice back in '84 to pass extra class. Hanging around 15 wpm now. My Kenwood ts 890 will decode decent over the air sending, and it's great to use to clean up sending.

Latest posts

Back