New Hornady ELD 345gr Bore Driver.....with Savage ML II??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just noticed that Hornady will be releasing a new muzzleloading bullet with a higher BC than their original Bore Drivers, but this is a heavier bullet. I think I already know the answer to my question, but do you smokeless guys think this can hold up with smokeless powder? I like the higher BC, but don't know if the base will break down with smokeless powder. I know my 300gr Barnes and Furys fly well, so I'm not too concerned, but still curious. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The 290gr Bore Drive is going to be my hunting load next week, over 44.0 gr AA5744. They seem to hold up fine to smokeless pressures, and I am excited to try these new Bore Drivers when they become available.

I think what's a bit lacking for shooting these in a 10ML-ii is load data for heavier projectiles in the 350gr weight class. There's a few recipes floating around, but they are certainly less common than 250gr and 300gr recipes.

Last edited:
The 290gr Bore Drive is going to be my hunting load next week, over 44.0 gr AA5744. They seem to hold up fine to smokeless pressures, and I am excited to try these new Bore Drivers when they become available.

I think what's a bit lacking for shooting these in an 10ML-ii is load data for heavier projectiles in the 350gr weight class. There's a few recipes floating around, but they are certainly less common than 250gr and 300gr recipes.

I could do the math for a powder reduction and would probably be fine, but I prefer not to do that. I will buy a package of the ELD's when they come out and see how they fly, but like I said, would be tough to beat the Barnes and Furys I already use.

I watched a Hornady tech talk video on this bullet with the bullet's developers. No mention of smokeless. However, a max charge of BH209 powder (weighed) was recommended in a 1-28' twist barrel. They said with that charge you would get about 1900 FPS at the muzzle. One of the guys took an antelope at 345 yds with this bullet. I believe the BC is somewhere around 304. I believe this bullet will be a good seller. See video below.

Back