New inline owner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th Corps

Reaction score
I have been a traditional muzzleloading enthusiast for many years. I shoot both flintlocks, percussion cap rifles and pistols. I just ordered my first inline, a CVA Wolf 2.
I am not a hunter.
I just love to shoot.
Couple of questions.
Can you shoot loose powder in an inline? I have several pounds of Pyrodex and Triple 7 loose, as well as traditional black powder.
What about roundballs with patches?
I also have several hundred Winchester and Federal 209 primers.

Should have looked around. Obviously many shoot loose powder, I suppose the pellets are more convenient if you are in the field and have to reload.

Anyway I am jazzed about getting this new rifle.

Hello, and congratulations on the new inline! I too shoot both traditional and modern ML’ers. They’re all fun!

Yes, you can shoot loose powder in your inline. Pyrodex, 777 & real black will all work. The fun for me is shooting different powders, different charge weights, bullets , primers etc. There’s a lot of info here from a lot of experienced shooters. Look around ask questions when you have them. Look forward to hearing how your shooting goes.

Welcome ( muzzleloading) Infidel!
Loose powder? Absolutely! Holy Black? Heavens yes! I prefer Swiss myself.
Prbs? If you like them, by all means. A good sabot load will do you a world of good. Just tell yourself they're a sub-caliber adapter.
Just like a patch.
Only different.
Full bores are fun too!
Pick what you like. Apologize to no one for it.
I prefer the older striker fired models. Specifically, my T/C Firehawk. 1-38 twist .50 caliber. My all time favorite rifle. Bury Calico with me please...
Anyways. With the addition of a good inline, you will be a well rounded muzzleloader. Ready for any/ all situations.
Smile when telling folk the thing under the barrel is NOT a tubular magazine.
Some get a trifle confused...
11th Corp...
I reenacted for awhile...
1st Texas Vol. Infy. Hood' s Brigade 1st Corp A.N.V.

Welcome ( muzzleloading) Infidel!
Loose powder? Absolutely! Holy Black? Heavens yes! I prefer Swiss myself.
Prbs? If you like them, by all means. A good sabot load will do you a world of good. Just tell yourself they're a sub-caliber adapter.
Just like a patch.
Only different.
Full bores are fun too!
Pick what you like. Apologize to no one for it.
I prefer the older striker fired models. Specifically, my T/C Firehawk. 1-38 twist .50 caliber. My all time favorite rifle. Bury Calico with me please...
Anyways. With the addition of a good inline, you will be a well rounded muzzleloader. Ready for any/ all situations.
Smile when telling folk the thing under the barrel is NOT a tubular magazine.
Some get a trifle confused...
11th Corp...
I reenacted for awhile...
1st Texas Vol. Infy. Hood' s Brigade 1st Corp A.N.V.
Nice Confederate Man.
I had a friend who was a Union Army re enactor. Did it for many years.
My Great Grandfather was a private in the 107th Ohio. Veteran of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville.

U will have to get the blackhorn breech plug. One comes with it is for shooting pellets. The blackhorn breech plug is for loose powder. CVA should have put both in the box. But if they did. They couldn't charge the extra 30.00 . If the person is going to shoot loose powder.

U will have to get the blackhorn breech plug. One comes with it is for shooting pellets. The blackhorn breech plug is for loose powder. CVA should have put both in the box. But if they did. They couldn't charge the extra 30.00 . If the person is going to shoot loose powder.
Ok. I'm lost here.
Why do I need the blackhorn breech plug to shoot loose powder? I already shot the rifle about 2 dozen times with loose.
Does it affect the accuracy?

Ok. I'm lost here.
Why do I need the blackhorn breech plug to shoot loose powder? I already shot the rifle about 2 dozen times with loose.
Does it affect the accuracy?
IF you experience ignition Problems with loose powder, CVA sells a breech plug with a deeper hole closer to the flash channel that allows some powder to sit closer to the primer facilitating easier ignition – allegedly this is an issue with regards to Blackhorn 209 powder specifically.

IF you experience ignition Problems with loose powder, CVA sells a breech plug with a deeper hole closer to the flash channel that allows some powder to sit closer to the primer facilitating easier ignition – allegedly this is an issue with regards to Blackhorn 209 powder specifically.
Ok. Thanks.
Don't have any Blackhorn 209 powder.

Back