New Knight Ultra-Lite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsc

Reaction score
I'm new here, so first of all, Hey there! I just got my new Knight Ultra-Lite in the mail in time for the season. I haven't used it yet. It currently is the only firearm in my home right now. I'm fortunate enough to have a small cabin, and thats where I keep my hunting rifles. So the Ultra-Lite is my current "home defense" weapon, lol. Just playing around with it, I'm not finding it to be able to dry fire which concerns me if the time comes I need to actually use it. I can open and close the bolt, and when I pull the trigger nothing happens. I don't hear anything and I don't feel anything move. Will this firearm only fire if it's loaded with a primer? Note: its the setup that take plastic jackets over the 209 primers. Thanks all.

The secondary safety is probably screwed in . Try unscrewing it counter clockwise. :welcome: To the brotherhood

Welcome to the forum , definitely as said above read the owners manual any questions you have bring them here before going out shooting the first time.Good rule for safety put witness mark on your ramrod to prevent a double load, it happens.

Enjoy. I’d at least look into the setup to do away with the plastic jackets, no biggie. If you don’t already, collect the accessories needed to shoot the gun. I think most like Blackhorn 209 powder, other types work too.

You may be already familiar with proper cleaning. Just be ready for required care after shooting.

I've purchased myself some Triple Seven 45/50 pellets (I got the .45 caliber 1:20 "fast twist" version of the rifle), some Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers (had to get those off gunbroker, sadly), and I also got some 200 grain Hornady SST Low Drag Sabots. Yall think two pellets is just fine? Three seems excessive. After loading it I found out pretty quickly that I'll need a good range rod that utilizes my palm. I know these things have to be experimented with to find the right powder/sabot combination. I'm hoping that pellets are good for my gun, cause I don't really want to mess with powder. It just seems much easier with the pellets. I bought a Vortex Sparc II red dot scope that I'll have mounted tomorrow. Hopefully they can sight it in to hit paper at 50yds. I live in South Dakota, so we cannot have any magnification. I think I'd be better off with a red dot than using iron sights. Why do you think I should try to ditch the plastic jackets? I thought that setup was considered better. I will also definitely have to buy a cleaning kit just for this muzzleloader. Lastly, I know how to unload the rifle but does anyone have a favorite or best video of how to do it? Can never ever ever be too safe with these things. Overall, I'm really excited to enter the world of muzzleloading. I've got a tag this year for an "antlerless whitetail deer", so I'm hoping to bag one this year, I'm all out of venison from my deer last year (was kinda small and I gave away a bunch of meat too).

I think you have a ‘mental block’ thinking loose is harder than pellets. Just a few tools & away you go, simple.

My 1st choice is B209 powder, 2nd loose 777. If your deer season is underway, use whatever you’re set up with. I like the bare primer breech plug with the flash hole ‘optimized’ for B209.

In my 45s I use the crush rib sabot from Harvestor, then a 200 grain XTP or 195 grain Barnes bullet. The true goal is proper bore fit, not to loose or to tight.

SD is tops on my list, often for a June dogging trip.

Three pellets does seem excessive. That may be an allowable load, (READ THE MANUAL) but seems to seldom result in the desired accuracy. But good luck with the pellets. If they work for you, great. But I think if you can measure a level teaspoon in the kitchen, you can measure powder. To show why I will never use pellets, here's a target I shot for load development at 50 yds. Group 1, right, was with 75 grains Pyrodex RS. Group 2, after a sight adjustment, and with 80 grains of RS. Five grains, by volume, made that difference. Nuff said. Your results may vary.
Bighorn 50yd 80gr RS wad 420gr NE.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you need to go slow with this thing. If'n you don't understand something please ask. And yes as others have said read the manual.

As to your question on unloading, I don’t think I saw it answered. Remove the bolt and take out the breech plug then use ramrod to push the pellets and bullet through. Stay safe while gun is loaded take the time to put a witness mark on the ramrod.

Back