New Lehigh ML in the works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using Douglas would set them apart from most builders and i am rather fond of Douglas Prem XX barrels. Maybe not the best ive seen but a good barrel. If i had a choice between GMB and Douglas it would be Douglas.
I don't have an issue with either. But i really like the Douglas on my NULA. The price of this gun is going to be on the low end. I bet they will be GM barrels.

Ive been pretty happy with GMB barrels, actually i would love to try one of their cut rifled barrels but they only list a 45 in 1-18. Should be easy enough for them to CUT a 1-20 though.

why not a 1-18

Its less flexible if you want to include sabots. A 1-20 will shoot pretty much any 40cal in sabots as fast as you could ever want to shoot them. A 1-18 really isnt needed unless you want to shoot very long bullets sabotless. Since this is a light weight hunting rig.....1-20 is fine.

Bullshop has a 420ish grain bullet he can size for ML. One of my favorites that wont beat you to death is the 330gr Gould HP. Cast in pure lead its almost 350gr. I think 457122 is the Lyman part# for the mold. Pretty sure Bullshop has that mold too. No Excuses has a 385gr in .451. Not sure if you can order them another size or not.

I really prefer upto .002 over land if using BH209 with conical. As little as .001 over might be enough for most rifles if you use a good tight fitting wad.

Bullshop has a 420ish grain bullet he can size for ML. One of my favorites that wont beat you to death is the 330gr Gould HP. Cast in pure lead its almost 350gr. I think 457122 is the Lyman part# for the mold. Pretty sure Bullshop has that mold too. No Excuses has a 385gr in .451. Not sure if you can order them another size or not.

I really prefer upto .002 over land if using BH209 with conical. As little as .001 over might be enough for most rifles if you use a good tight fitting wad.

That 330gr Gould bullet is what I use in my .451 Whites. They come out weighing around 347gr. and I size them with my .452 Lee sizing die. I know Idaholews shoots them with his Knight Mountaineer with the 45cal 1-20" twist using 80gr of Swiss 2F and gets outstanding accuracy with that load.

Its just a great all around bullet. I use 70gr by volume of BH209. Thats good for roughly between 1350fps and 1400fps. Retains more energy at 100 yards than a 44mag pistol makes at the muzzle. Very pleasant load to shoot.

That 330gr Gould bullet is what I use in my .451 Whites. They come out weighing around 347gr. and I size them with my .452 Lee sizing die. I know Idaholews shoots them with his Knight Mountaineer with the 45cal 1-20" twist using 80gr of Swiss 2F and gets outstanding accuracy with that load.

You should send me some of yours to try in this gun:)

Its so cool that even a .452 Gould will start by hand in a .450 land barrel. Its a bit tight but not too hard to do. Great load for hunting areas like our conservation area managed hunts. Expansion and weight retention is pretty impressive if not shot too terribly fast.

Around 1155fps impact speed and only lost about 3gr of weight
IMG_2619.JPG

Rough numbers assuming a .213 BC although i think it might be slightly better

At 1150fps MV this bullet should still have 800FPE at 100 yards
At 1300fps MV this bullet should still have 1000FPE at 100 yards
At 1400fps MV this bullet should still have 1070FPE at 100 yards

I was shooting some more Parkers sabotless this weekend and decided to try a veggie wad. The wad proved to be more consistent in my eyes with felt recoil versus without.

This was a 12 shot group at 100 yards playing around with the new concept from lehigh. I'm hoping to get the new barrel this week.

Nice shooting Tom! This is sounding like a very interesting rifle. Is the Rifle one that is a switch barrel type?

Thanks!! The 45cal version i have is capable of changing barrels. That does not mean it will be able to when in production?? Im hoping to get the true 45cal barrel 1/20 twist GM barrel this week. There will also be a 50cal version being made soon after.

Back