New Lyman primitive sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sparhawk

Reaction score
My gun comes with the screw adjustable buckhorn sight (which obscures a deer) and a primitive blade sight. I used a brass punch and exchanged sights. The primitive is way too lose so I put the buckhorn back. If I was to try to flare down the dovetail with a steel punch, would this possibly tighten it up?
I had to order .498 round balls because Lyman suggest so, and I perform a dry ball test (with .018 patch) and a .490. The grooves did not make any impressions on the ball, just the lands. I measured it to be .502. The example in the book was for a .503 bore so I figured to go ahead and order the .498 balls. I have .018, .015, and .010 patches to experiment with but will start with the .018 because the diameter to the grooves is around .526.
I ordered me another hunting pouch as well for

$44. A suede one 8x8 with little extra pocket.

$44. A suede one 8x8 with little extra pocket.

You can tighten it up, I've read of people setting a 9/16 socket over the dovetail and giving it a smack. Go easy and check often until it is snug.

I think I would use a large flat punch on the sight itself to move (stretch) the metal before I did anything to the barrel dovetail. Just in case I screwed up, the sight is way cheaper than the barrel to replace.
Walk

It really depends on the Situation? It’s hard to give an exact diagnosis without seeing it. Below are 3 Ways, 3 ideas, One of these WILL Work

Red Loctite if it’s not to loose, it will hold like a ROCK. Lee Shaver’s tip, it works well :lewis:

If it’s looser than you feel comfortable with Loctite holding? Remove the Sight, take a Finish Nail set, hold at a Slight angle in the Barrel Flat where the sight just came out of, and give a Decent Tap, You want to create a Small “Divet” now when you Tap the Sight back in, it will Tighten up due to the “Lift” Created from the Divet.

If the sight is Quite Loose, you will need to Build the Bottom of the Sight Dove itself up with a Shim of Sorts

Latest posts

Back