New member from Montana looking for advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
54 with PRB is good medicine. This isn't a hawken obviously.
View attachment 35018

Pedersoli make good hawkens, I've gad one in 54 and one in 50.
This is my 50 using Hornady Monoflex, worked well but I lost interest in bullets over balls.
View attachment 35019

When I get over to the states and hunt MT or WY I'll probably take the 58 flint I'm having built over the above caplock.
Those are both beautiful rifles, apparently work very well too!

That’s awesome, they’re obviously efficient at taking game then! Beautiful rifles too!

After looking into the casting side of things it might be hard to not play around with it. Also especially interesting considering how difficult it’s been to get ammo for center fire stuff lately being able to make them yourself so long as you can source raw materials seems nice for the long run. Still undecided on which rifle to go with. I found a used tc renegade that looks to be in good condition in 50 cal for the same price as I can get a Lyman trade rifle for brand new. I did purchase a used Lyman 57sml with an unknown front globe for a great price off gun broker so I’m starting to acquire things.

Well I just bought a tc renegade in 50 cal off gunbroker, looked to be in good condition and excited for it to come in. I probably won’t be able to shoot it until July with how my schedule currently is but that gives me plenty of time to get dialed and comfortable with it by fall.

Honestly for a production rifle you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle than a T/C Hawken or Renegade or a Lyman trade riflr, great plains rifle or great plains hunter. The hunter has a faster twist I think a 1:32, GPR 1:60 and trade 1:48(?).

Honestly for a production rifle you'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle than a T/C Hawken or Renegade or a Lyman trade riflr, great plains rifle or great plains hunter. The hunter has a faster twist I think a 1:32, GPR 1:60 and trade 1:48(?).
Thanks! I have a tc renegade waiting for me when I get home now along with some peep sights to install. I still debate buying the Lyman trade rifle and going with whichever I like better but at least I have one to get started with!

You could also consider the Lyman Deerstalker. I have one and like the shorter barrel for stalking and still hunting. I also have a T/C White Mountain with a 20 inch barrel and a 1in20 twist.

Back