New Member from NW Missouri

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
While I am not new to blackpowder and inline muzzleloading, I am in the process of introducing my adult son to the joys of late season hunting in Missouri. I enjoy deer and turkey hunting, and always look forward to the changing seasons (bow, rifle, muzzleloading).

A California native, I moved to the extreme Northwoods of Minnesota for 10 years (where I met my wife of 40 years). After another decade back in California, I am honored to call Missouri "home" for the past 20 years.

My wife and I manage a 125 acre farm that is under QDM in addition to my full-time job. My first inline was a Traditions Tracker bought at Cabela's back when they were cheap--this is the rifle that I used to take my first muzzleloading deer--as well as one last. year. For the last four few years I have been primarily shooting a Thompson Center Impact, which has given me good service. Today I took delivery of a CVA Optima V2 that is a companion to an Optima V2 "pistol" I've had for a few years.

IMG_6807.jpeg

Hi from N.E. Missouri - Ralls County - south of Hannibal. Timing of "Alternative" season sucks, by the way.
I spent a lot of time in Hannibal last year helping HLGU. Looked like some pretty good hunting opportunities in the area.

I spent a lot of time in Hannibal last year helping HLGU. Looked like some pretty good hunting opportunities in the area.
Lots of good hunting and fishing as well. Public areas are all around us - Mark Twain Lake, Conservation areas, and of course - the Mississippi River. We like it here,

Welcome to the forum from Callaway County, Missouri.

sheriffjohn I like the timing of the Alternative Season. I have friends that haven’t retired yet but the holidays allows them to take some extra time off.

Welcome to the forum from Callaway County, Missouri.

sheriffjohn I like the timing of the Alternative Season. I have friends that haven’t retired yet but the holidays allows them to take some extra time off.
I especially like the new Antlerless season in early October. I have to remind some of my ML friends that they can use the ML during any firearm season in MO!

I especially like the new Antlerless season in early October. I have to remind some of my ML friends that they can use the ML during any firearm season in MO!
My dad is excited about the new Antlerless season. Cold weather bothers him more each year. He is planning to harvest two early in the season. PLUS We can harvest more antlerless deer.

When we lobbied for a "primitive weapons" season (and were successful), it was just that, single-shot muzzle loaders and archery. It also fell during at least a part of the rut. Antlerless was part of the normal deer season. Far more deer now than then, but "alternative" now includes AR pistols, spears, air bows, crossbows, - anything short of flamethrowers. Fewer than 9,000 deer taken in "alternative" season this year.

2023 will have an additional antlerless season ahead of "alternative methods", so by the time "muzzleloader" season rolls around, in zero degree weather, we'll be lucky to see many that aren't spooked and, for sure fewer legal bucks. Sharing the woods with sound-shooting idiots blasting away with semi-autos is not pleasant.

Latest posts

Back