New member in Missouri

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanH

Reaction score
Moved to Missouri a year ago. Everything is bow or muzzleloader only for deer in my area so I started lurking on these muzzleloader pages.

Missed deer season last year but my wife got me a stainless CVA Wolf for Valentine’s Day. I just got started with it a week ago. Needless to say I’ll be needing some pointers.

Looking forward to learning some new tricks.

I’m in west central Missouri. About an hour and 15 minutes east of Kansas City.

Definitely loaded with deer. I learned that squirrel hunting last year. There are a couple spots I can rifle hunt nearby but I only recently found out about them and none interest me.

I’d much rather hunt Truman or another real good spot I’m not gonna point out on line! But these places only allow muzzle loader or bow for deer.

I’m in west central Missouri. About an hour and 15 minutes east of Kansas City.

Definitely loaded with deer. I learned that squirrel hunting last year. There are a couple spots I can rifle hunt nearby but I only recently found out about them and none interest me.

I’d much rather hunt Truman or another real good spot I’m not gonna point out on line! But these places only allow muzzle loader or bow for deer.
So, here's a tip - Missouri Conservation Commission's managed deer hunts are a great way to go for primitive weapons. Check out the Missouri Department of Conservation's website and/or pick up their brochures where ever permits are sold (Wally World, etc.)

Some of the managed hunts are to cull herds, some are to simply limit the number of hunters because the area is so popular. There is a difference. Unfortunately (please check this out) I think the signup period for most managed hunts may be over for this year. Some years, if not enough deer are culled, some areas have been re-opened for later in the year.

Now that archery season opens in a few days, bow hunters will be hitting the public hunting areas. You can deer hunt in Missouri from September 15 'til January with something (bows, crossbows, spears, airguns, M/L's, rifles, pistols, shotguns depending on when/where).

If you do not do some pre-hunt scouting, your chances will go way down. Many landowners will give you permission to hunt with a muzzle loader who turn down those using modern firearms. Where you live is prime deer hunting, start right now, not three weeks from now and you'll have better luck. Glad to have you in Missouri.

Good luck!

Thank you my friend. I have already been scouting this year. I have a game plan with contingencies for different wind direction.

I work a lot so I will probably only get out one day during early gun deer, one day late gun deer, and one day in the alternative season. If I can’t get one in range of my blind I know where I can sneak up on them. I just need a windy day to cover my scent and especially my sound.

I might not shoot the buck of a lifetime but a doe in the freezer is almost a given.

I know I ought to have a bow. That would improve my odds just by improving my opportunity.

Thank you my friend. I have already been scouting this year. I have a game plan with contingencies for different wind direction.

I work a lot so I will probably only get out one day during early gun deer, one day late gun deer, and one day in the alternative season. If I can’t get one in range of my blind I know where I can sneak up on them. I just need a windy day to cover my scent and especially my sound.

I might not shoot the buck of a lifetime but a doe in the freezer is almost a given.

I know I ought to have a bow. That would improve my odds just by improving my opportunity.
I might add that fairly recent changes to rules allow crossbows to archery season. Some years back I accidentally stuck a knife through the tendons and nerves on my right hand which ended my bow hunting. Got a crossbow with a scope, cocking device. At 30 yards, it will put bolts in a group the size of a paper cup bottom.

Missouri's goal is to enlarge hunting opportunity for more, not less folks.
One fellow I know contacts real estate agents in/around Boone County to find areas where deer are a problem. He gets access to subdivisions as well as farms. Back when any deer tags were unlimited, he took around 25-30 each year for the local food bank, using his bow.

Also - don't overlook waterfowl areas. Most are open to deer hunting in one form or another at various times for various methods. Anyway ..enjoy the season. I do.

Missouri conservation area hunts are all on a lottery basis and selection of applicants is over. That ended July 31st iirc. Im not aware of any that have a open season for MLs. Some may allow archery such as Ted Shanks but most are a drawing you had to enter in July.

Welcome from the Kingdom of Callaway!
sheriffjohn has shared a lot of great advice for you on here. Most of my encounters with deer in our state are less than 100 yards. The CVA Wolf with a good optic is all that you need to harvest deer. A scoped crossbow will really extend your hunting time and with some practice 40 yard shots can be realistic.

Latest posts

Back