New member - long time lurker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadfall

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ready to dip my toe in the ML world after years of consideration. Still debating my first ML, but have read most of the related posts on the site. Hate to beat this dead horse again, but here’s where I’m at. Open to suggestions as Im sure I’ve overlooked something.

Mainly hunting in CO so
No scope
No pellets
No FiresSticks
No sabots
No smokeless
No breech loads
.50 cal minimum for elk

Waffling between the CVA Optima and Accura MR-X. ML would be used from everything from antelope to moose (if I draw a tag), so I am of the mind to buy once, cry once. I like the extras of the Accura (cerakote, removable stock and forend, threaded muzzle, shorter barrel), but the price and weight of the Optima is attractive. I mostly backpack hunt so saving a pound with the Optima would be mighty nice. Biggest concerns are
1. Range - I have no experience with iron sites outside of a squirrel gun. Would I get the full benefit of an Accura given CO restrictions?
2. Backcountry - I want something durable and easy to maneuver through the thick stuff. The Accura seems to have an edge on this front except the extra weight.
3. Recoil - I have no experience with ML so not sure what to expect. Though I dont consider myself recoil sensitive it would be nice to have the option of a brake.

Thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey all,

Ready to dip my toe in the ML world after years of consideration. Still debating my first ML, but have read most of the related posts on the site. Hate to beat this dead horse again, but here’s where I’m at. Open to suggestions as Im sure I’ve overlooked something.

Mainly hunting in CO so
No scope
No pellets
No FiresSticks
No sabots
No smokeless
No breech loads
.50 cal minimum for elk

Waffling between the CVA Optima and Accura MR-X. ML would be used from everything from antelope to moose (if I draw a tag), so I am of the mind to buy once, cry once. I like the extras of the Accura (cerakote, removable stock and forend, threaded muzzle, shorter barrel), but the price and weight of the Optima is attractive. I mostly backpack hunt so saving a pound with the Optima would be mighty nice. Biggest concerns are
1. Range - I have no experience with iron sites outside of a squirrel gun. Would I get the full benefit of an Accura given CO restrictions?
2. Backcountry - I want something durable and easy to maneuver through the thick stuff. The Accura seems to have an edge on this front except the extra weight.
3. Recoil - I have no experience with ML so not sure what to expect. Though I dont consider myself recoil sensitive it would be nice to have the option of a brake.

Thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
The Accura is a good gun & worth the money IMHO. I don't own nor have I shot an Optima so I can't speak on them personally other than what I've heard & read about them is they are good entry level ML's for the money.
If you are dead set on one of the two models, spend the money on the Accura MR or MR-X.
Have you considered or looked at any other .50 ML's? Here are a few fantastic viable options for you that check the boxes you listed;
TC Encore, TC Omega, CVA Kodiak, Rem 700ML, Knight rifles Ultra Lite & numerous other Knight rifles, White Rifles make excellent ML's that several of them will suit your needs & perhaps someone with more knowledge with them than I could chime in & make a few more detailed suggestions on them, & on the various viable Knight options as well.
Soooo, as you can see, no shortage of really good viable options for you to take a good look at.
You really don't need to worry about a brake on it.

The Accura is a good gun & worth the money IMHO. I don't own nor have I shot an Optima so I can't speak on them personally other than what I've heard & read about them is they are good entry level ML's for the money.
If you are dead set on one of the two models, spend the money on the Accura MR or MR-X.
Have you considered or looked at any other .50 ML's? Here are a few fantastic viable options for you that check the boxes you listed;
TC Encore, TC Omega, CVA Kodiak, Rem 700ML, Knight rifles Ultra Lite & numerous other Knight rifles, White Rifles make excellent ML's that several of them will suit your needs & perhaps someone with more knowledge with them than I could chime in & make a few more detailed suggestions on them, & on the various viable Knight options as well.
Soooo, as you can see, no shortage of really good viable options for you to take a good look at.
You really don't need to worry about a brake on it.
Thanks for the response, this is exactly why I joined. For some reason I didnt think the Knights and Rem 700ML were legal in CO - saw the bolts and gave up. Ill give them another look. I was a little nervous about buying a used ML (Encore, Optima, Kodiak) just because I wasn’t sure what to look for other than corrosion and what would be expected versus neglect. I did look at the TC Pro Hunter, but thought it was a bit longer and a bit heavier than the MR-X that was similarly priced. Am I missing something with TC that O should take a second look at?? Thanks agin for the info.

Howdy from Indiana! Regarding recoil, it’s minimal from my Optima. I have no experience with the Accura, so I cannot elaborate on it. I can promise you one thing… when that critter is in front of the business end, you’ll never even notice the recoil. There’s a great bunch of folks on here with a lot of knowledge. You can gain tons of information from them. Welcome to the addiction! Best of luck in your endeavors.

Welcome from VA! I think NineRing pretty much nailed it. It's a necessity to take your new ML out and work with the powder load and bullet combination that you wish to hunt with. I found that my Traditions Vortek Strikerfire hunts better with 80-85 grains of loose powder over 100. The 100 grains produced bullet strikes that went straight through the deer, without dumping it's energy. That caused very little, if any, blood trail. So get it early, get out and shoot with it!

Howdy from Indiana! Regarding recoil, it’s minimal from my Optima. I have no experience with the Accura, so I cannot elaborate on it. I can promise you one thing… when that critter is in front of the business end, you’ll never even notice the recoil. There’s a great bunch of folks on here with a lot of knowledge. You can gain tons of information from them. Welcome to the addiction! Best of luck in your endeavors.
Ha - that’s the truth. My 30.06 shoots like a .22 when those crosshairs land behind the shoulder. Looking forward to gaining a lot of knowledge.

Welcome from VA! I think NineRing pretty much nailed it. It's a necessity to take your new ML out and work with the powder load and bullet combination that you wish to hunt with. I found that my Traditions Vortek Strikerfire hunts better with 80-85 grains of loose powder over 100. The 100 grains produced bullet strikes that went straight through the deer, without dumping it's energy. That caused very little, if any, blood trail. So get it early, get out and shoot with it!
Yeah, I think picking a ML is going to be the easier part. Looking forward to the new challenge. Thanks for the load recs.

Welcome, from North Carolina! Sounds like you have thought about some good questions. I can’t really opine on the two you mentioned (my CVA and T/C inlines are both 20+ years old), but have you also considered a traditional muzzleloader (e.g. a T/C Renegade or Hawken, or a CVA/Traditions)? There are some awesome ones out there, and one might fit your bill…

Latest posts

Back