New member long time shooter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been using one for years with absolutely no problems. Those little flexible wire files are, in my opinion, very unlikely to noticeably enlarge the channel.

Whoa, Whoa, bob, using those tip cleaners to ream the flash hole is just about the worst thing a body can do....... to their breech plug. Flash holes grow larger with each, and every every shot; reaming them isn't at all necessary.

My opinion..........recommending tip cleaners is awful advice for the longevity of one's breech plug................just my opinion.

anything you do recommend to clean the flash hole? aka, clear it, but not make it larger? or can i leave it be on its own?

thanks for the continued responses. i was at my cabin for a long weekend with no service.

The flash hole likely will not clog up on its own. When cleaning the flash CHANNEL some of the loose carbon might find its way into the flash HOLE. Just poke it out with something non abrasive. Dont force anything into it. The SMOOTH part of the torch tip cleaners is fine or a nipple pic made for percussion nipples.

Lots of good advice so far. For the barrel, any decent smokeless solvent will work from Hoppes No. 9 to the newer synthetics. I like the CLP Eezox.

For the breech flash hole, I carefully use a torch tip cleaner after a long BH209 session.

One thing I learned, before you use any solvents, run a dry patch, both sides, down the barrel. This will remove 90% of the BH209 fouling, making the rest of your job easier. If your first patch down the barrel is soaked with solvent, you will need to do a lot more passes.

My routine is to

1. Run a dry patch
2. Remove the breech plug and toss it in a little jar with windex. The vinegar formula works the best but I will use any thing out of a bottle I happen to have underneath the sink such as 409, Simple Green, Spic and Span, etc..
3. Get to work on the barrel and action - Pay attention to the breech area.
4. Last thing I do is work on the breech plug so it has had some time to soak. I will use a tooth brush, the aforementioned torch tip, a drill bit, even some very fine steel wool if some crud is not coming off.
5. Put it all together. Depending on long the gun will sit, I may leave the barrel a little wet with CLP.

That's it.

Latest posts

Back