New Member & new to Modern Muzzleloading rifles Help needed.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roverwolf110

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Good morning

I'm a New member to this site and in too modern Inline muzzleloader rifles.
I just recently purchased a CVA accura LR-X in .45 cal for long range shooting.

I cast my own .45 bullets for my 45 colt & 454 casull
and was I hoping if you guys could guide me to the right path so I don't
blow up my new rifle or even hurt my self.

My question to you guys are:

* Can you shoot .454 cast bullets from 200 gr to 500 gr weight bullets?

* Gas check bullets on muzzleloaders OK to use or Not?

*Does any know a good muzzleloader load data book?

Thank you for your time in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

No, I don’t know if any load data manuals, but you’ll find lots of good info here. I suspect you’d have to resize those .454” bullets. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with lead bullets in a “longe range” muzzy. Lots of better choices, IMO. I think if you do a key word search you’ll find a few guys trying gas check bullets here.

Welcome from Las Vegas!

No, I don’t know if any load data manuals, but you’ll find lots of good info here. I suspect you’d have to resize those .454” bullets. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with lead bullets in a “longe range” muzzy. Lots of better choices, IMO. I think if you do a key word search you’ll find a few guys trying gas check bullets here.
Guess My short range (700yd) 17 twist Rice barrel Renegade 45 doesn't qualify with that 530 gr BACO Eliptical PP 20-1/16-1 ?

So many people, so many differing opinions. I have an Accura LR .45 and i cast and shoot lead from it all the time. I think its a great gun for it. I have shot up to a 535gr cast bullet from mine. But i feel like 400-ish is an ideal max lead, for me. .454 probably going to be resized to .4525-.453.
I have 1k copper gas checks that i plan to try out eventually. (Keep getting back-burnered by other things)
195-250 copper jackets also shoot great.
I guess my point is, if you think of something, give it a try, but always be careful you aren't going to hurt yourself or someone else.
Also, use witness marks on your ramrod and rangerod, so you don't double load or short start a projectile.

What’s the BC on those? And what’s the drop at 700 yds?
My PP Baco 443 is (depending on the day I'm having )119-121 pts on my Lee Shaver venier 90-94 gr OE 2f /BC .38
4oo yds same load 80 gr oe2f 64 pts/600yds same100 pts I think you got what I had left on range report , Most went with the Renegade down south (crawdad country ) several months ago . I think the (worlds most) pretty/expensive/ long range set up TC ever sold !!!/Ed

My PP Baco 443 is (depending on the day I'm having )119-121 pts on my Lee Shaver venier 90-94 gr OE 2f /BC .38
4oo yds same load 80 gr oe2f 64 pts/600yds same100 pts I think you got what I had left on range report , Most went with the Renegade down south (crawdad country ) several months ago . I think the (worlds most) pretty/expensive/ long range set up TC ever sold !!!/Ed

Ed, What muzzle velocity are you recording with 94 gr (volume?) of black and a 530 gr bullet? I’m guessing you’re looking at 600-800” of drop at 700 yards?

Ed, What muzzle velocity are you recording with 94 gr (volume?) of black and a 530 gr bullet? I’m guessing you’re looking at 600-800” of drop at 700 yards?
Don't know , with 80/81 gr of OE 1 1/2F I was running 1250-1300 but all that went south ,never bothered with chrono after that . I'm just starting over with a 74 Pedersoli and looks like I won't be shooting long as we are having issues with in the club . I might go to shooting (long) at our short range (190 yds) with round balls ,got a Woods runner coming from Jim Kibler , I know that works/Ed

Thank you Everyone for taking the time too stop by say Hello & share your share your thoughts.

Currently I'm still waiting for my last purchase package to arrive from Muzzleloadersdotcom
and I will heading to the range to sign-in my new CVA and test two cast lead bullets from Lee precision
300gr LFP GC & 459-500-3r resized to .453

I will keep you updated

Attachments

• terminator-thumbs-up.gif
    terminator-thumbs-up.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome.

I been waiting for two or three weeks now since I purchased my new cva .45 cal LR-X
and I got everything except the rifle. Also Receive my new bullet molds and casted some 300gr & 500gr bullets. I'm Planning on doing some serious testing and share the results with you guys.

Anyways also last week I stop by at the shooting range and tested my new Pietta 1858 Buffalo , 12" barrel with some homemade Paper cartridges with Triple 7, 40 by volume & cast .44 British Kerr bullet. Also tested made some .45 colt ,
Triple 7 with 38 by volume with 230gr RN cast bullet with Taylor's & company conversion cylinder.
it handle great but I do need to adjust the sights since its shooting high & right.

I will stay in touch and let you guys know If I have any new updates.

Have a Great Weekend.

from South Commiefornia

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
New Update

I have some upsetting news
On Tuesday I received my new cva accura lr-x . 45 cal rifle
and you wont believe what I found out.
1.- rifle was missing scope mount.
2.- I was getting ready to clean the barrel when I decided to put my budget amazon Bore cam and
I was really upset when I noticed alot of Lead in side the bore , from the Breech plug to the end of the muzzle.

I contacted muzzleloaders.com and they are going to send me a new scope mount priority mail.
I called CVA and ask them if they tested the rifles before leaving the factory
Re:" Yes we do fire test them, and shoot lead rounds thru the barrel"
but why I found so much lead inside?
why not shoot copper jacket rounds like every gun manufacture does?

I also submitted a complaint with CVA/BPI guns and letting them know of my problem. currently im still waiting to hear back from them. At this moment I'm between sending this rifle back and getting a new one
or
Just getting my money back..

What do you guys think about this?

Attachments

• Snap_002.jpg
    Snap_002.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Snap_001.jpg
    Snap_001.jpg
    426.3 KB · Views: 1
  • thumbnailbb.jpg
    thumbnailbb.jpg