New member with Super 91

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dond31

Reaction score
Just found this site through FB, bought my super 91 at the Harrisburg Sportsman's show back in early 90s I believe when they first came out, serial number 491 and killed a lot of deer with it in Jersey. I got into the smokeless scene when Savage came out with theirs and later added a Badbull and the White just sat in the safe. Maybe after finding this site I'll get back into shooting it. I also have a Hoch mold to cast so bullets shouldn't be a problem.

Attachments

• 20210108_140418.jpg
    20210108_140418.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210108_135343.jpg
    20210108_135343.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
Welcome from another s91 owner. Thats an interesting mold you have. Youre now a DWB 👍
I purchased the mold shortly after I bought the rifle, when I talked to the owner making them he said he could make it any diameter I wanted the bullet to be after it cooled so no sizing was needed so I went with the factory White bullet size. The mold is a nose pour because according to the maker the base is the steering end so any spru would be up front. I also picked up this combination lube and loader at the Harrisburg Sportsman's show way back for the TC Maxi Balls but it works just as well for White bullets, you use a syringe to force the lube around the bullet

Attachments

• 20210108_140434.jpg
    20210108_140434.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 9
You have hogs to hunt in Fla. Ive hunted there a couple times and the amount of hogs we saw was incredible. 100-120 pounds are very nice size and taste for the freezer.
Actually there are some really big deer here that would put Jersey deer to shame, I was very surprised but it's hard to get private land and they way public land is set up to hunt is really screwed up and definitely don't have the numbers that Jersey has. Yes there's a bunch of of hogs that you can hunt year round and I have lots of Osceola turkey within walking distance of my house. Biggest thing is having to contend with the warm weather even though where I'm on the west coast in North central where last week it was below freezing for the most part it does stay on the warmer side.

The further west , north central and panhandle of fl , I've seen some nice deer.
Believe it or not I've seen some really big deer both in body and rack on various Florida hunting sites down around Miami, surprised the hell out of me.

I come from agriculture. Go to some nearby farms and tell them you are interested in a long term arrangement that will benefit them as well. If your able volunteer to be on a call list if they need drivers of trucks or machinery. Believe it or not finding bodies with drivers license can be a problem for farmers. Try to talk with them during the off season. When they are farming they may not have time to talk. If you are able offer to pay a little for a lease, that way when others hunter show up they can say sorry, already leased. Maybe even work weekends or something for a while until you get to know the people. Once your in your golden and will likely be in for life. Maybe just ask to hunt hogs when there is no deer hunting going on. Take little steps.

That's the way we did it back in the late 70s and 80s, I'm a retired Union Carpenter so a couple of buddies and I would do odd jobs for a local farmer and add in a turkey and a half gallon of booze Christmas time and we were golden, then the city slickers from NYC and Philly started coming in a offering big money to the farmers and it just snowballed from there. Hell at one time we had 900 acres of prime deer property owned by Mrs Bushnell of the scope company fame for just posting and patrolling the property but then she became an animal lover and had it high fenced in. Used to hunt the farm next to the Lindbergh estate where the crime of the century took place. Used to have great property in the town of Princeton where the university is till the town outlawed hunting. It was always an adventure hunting in Jersey, you never knew what was going to happen from one year to the next especially when big developers came looking for land with lots of money to spend. Hell in 1970 our family lost my grandparents farm to route 95, road went right through the farm house.

Welcome from NC I sympathize with the warm weather hesitation. I was used to the cooler hunting seasons of NY and I usually have a hard time with the high temps of early season here. Can’t imagine what Florida would be like. But the anytime hog hunting sounds great.

Welcome from one DWB to another!!
I got into the current farm I have now hunted for several years when my barber told me about one of his customers looking for someone to squirrel hunt. Squirrels were getting into his vehicles an eating the insulation off the wires (weird, but they like it for some reason). I called him an went to visit an look over the place. Killed several limits of squirrels there an noticed deer sign an asked if I could deer hunt. Long story short the deer were eating their crops big time and now I have exclusive permission to hunt both animals there.
I give them venison and make jerky for their granddaughter and look forward to seeing them every year, nice folks!!

I got into the current farm I have now hunted for several years when my barber told me about one of his customers looking for someone to squirrel hunt. Squirrels were getting into his vehicles an eating the insulation off the wires (weird, but they like it for some reason). I called him an went to visit an look over the place. Killed several limits of squirrels there an noticed deer sign an asked if I could deer hunt. Long story short the deer were eating their crops big time and now I have exclusive permission to hunt both animals there.
I give them venison and make jerky for their granddaughter and look forward to seeing them every year, nice folks!!
Awesome, that's the way it used to be in Jersey 40 years ago when Jersey was still the garden state not the condo state. Unfortunately to many kids don't want to take over their parents farm and work hard when a big time developer waves lots of money in front of them and then add in the requirements for each town to have a certain percentage of affordable housing. I'm so grateful to be able to escape the People's Republic of Jersey, nothing like I remember as a kid growing up!

Welcome from NC I sympathize with the warm weather hesitation. I was used to the cooler hunting seasons of NY and I usually have a hard time with the high temps of early season here. Can’t imagine what Florida would be like. But the anytime hog hunting sounds great.
Yup definitely takes getting used to but I have noticed that the heat doesn't bother me no where like it used to when we first moved here. Even getting in the Christmas spirit is hard now when you are used to snow or at least cold temperatures that time of year.

I’ll be up next fall to give you a hand with those deer!

Back