New Modern

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does one zero it in with the bolt closed or open? Unbelievable. 😝
Lol
And wonder why there are reports of blown SML’s hmmmm.

OKAY for all of you that think that this is terrible idea.

HOW WOULD YOU MOUNT AN OPTIC ON THIS FIREARM?

I tried a side mount and they don't work.
The original sights are pretty crude.

Well I'm the OP so I guess I'll respond..........

First, I've seen MANY side mount scope applications that worked excellent on both CF rifles and shotguns. Now, I have no clue what kind of rifle it is and maybe there's some excuse as to why it couldn't be side mounted, I don't know.

Second, if I had to mount a scope as this one is mounted, it would never happen in the first place. I'd part out what ever that thing is and get rid of it.

I believe that’s a savage rifle. At 51 second on the left side of the action there’s four screw plugs that held the original side mount. Probably a weaver mount most likely. Still probably the most funniest thing I’ve ever seen! Of course it may have been drilled for a Paul Yeager mount. That mount may have been worth more then the rifle! LOL

Mdl 340.
Split receiver yup. Takes a mag. Note the mag release in front of the trigger guard.
Side mounts work just fine on them.
My guess looking at the stock & metal would be late 50’s~ to mid 60’s piece.

Mdl 340.
Split receiver yup. Takes a mag. Note the mag release in front of the trigger guard.
Side mounts work just fine on them.
My guess looking at the stock & metal would be late 50’s~ to mid 60’s piece.

Looks just like my uncle's 340 .22 Hornet. It shoots 1/2" groups with the side mounted scope and handloads.

Many PROPER M/Ls had side mounted scopes. EG. DAVIDSON & METFORD's 2000 yd .500"Rifle. A look at Lieut-Col. Viscount Bury's Manual of Rifling & Rifle Sights for The NRA (UK) of 1864 might help..:welcome:.. OLD DOG..

Latest posts

Back