New Mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
Just pulled this guy out of the lathe. I kinda copied Docs .504 Buckbuster. Got rid of the boat tail, and increased the meplat a little bit, and brought the nose out to full bullet diameter. Same length. 1.030”
Cut the mold at .513 should drop about .508. I have one rifle with a .507 bore is why I did that. Should weigh in about 470 gns I’m guessing. Hopefully build the sprue plate and mill out for the handles tomorrow and cast a few. I think she’ll shoot!!

Attachments

• 6EE4C87D-25C9-44FD-AB6F-9EE2153A137F.jpeg
    6EE4C87D-25C9-44FD-AB6F-9EE2153A137F.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Just got started on the sprue plate tonight, a couple of days behind schedule, but hopefully cast a few tomorrow night after work... weekend before I can shoot ‘em.

Here’s how they turned out. I’m gonna junk this whole batch of lead. I think it had zinc in it. I had some wrinkles that I shouldn’t have had after 50 bullets. I was casting at 725 deg. No dirt just some wrinkles. They weighed in at 515 grains.

Attachments

• 7125BA31-C9CB-400E-803C-77F6F5BEF937.jpeg
    7125BA31-C9CB-400E-803C-77F6F5BEF937.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 24
I am gonna order some pure lead from Roto Metals, clean my pot and mold good and see if it makes a difference. I did clean the mold before starting with carb cleaner, then dish soap, water, and a toothbrush. After about 30 bullets, I smoked the mold with my oxy acetylene torch and it didn’t make a difference. I left the mold on the pot the whole time the lead was melting, and it was taking about 3-5 seconds for the sprue to solidify, I then counted 5 before I dumped the bullet. I did wire brush the mold with a dremel before I started and the bullets were just falling right out.

i would try cleaning the mold with denatured alcohol or brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner. They don't leave residue. And even if that wire wheel is brand new it could also be contaminating the mold surface with whatever it has on it. I started to clean my molds with brake cleaner and I stopped getting wrinkles.

i would try cleaning the mold with denatured alcohol or brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner. They don't leave residue. And even if that wire wheel is brand new it could also be contaminating the mold surface with whatever it has on it. I started to clean my molds with brake cleaner and I stopped getting wrinkles.
I’ll try that. I fluxed and stirred and skimmed the melt one time before I started pouring, and never touched it again. No dirt this time. I washed it with the soap and water the very last thing. So that brush could have had a little oil or something like that on it. I’ll try the brake cleaner. I don’t use any cutting oil when I’m boring the bullet in cast iron. Just put a touch on the tap while tapping the holes.

So here’s how they shot yesterday. 80 grains weighed Swiss. Target at 60 yards. 5 shots total.1st shot is lowest and in the center bar, shot from a clean bore with a Teflon tape Sabot. Next shots were fired without cleaning and without a wad. High hopes for this guy! It weighs just over 500 grains.

1590520138012.jpeg

So here’s how they shot yesterday. 80 grains weighed Swiss. Target at 60 yards. 5 shots total.1st shot is lowest and in the center bar, shot from a clean bore with a Teflon tape Sabot. Next shots were fired without cleaning and without a wad. High hopes for this guy! It weighs just over 500 grains.

View attachment 9098

Looks Good Stacey! :lewis:

Back