New Mould Material

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdporter

Reaction score
Lewis turned me on to a (new to me) mould material that I have not used before, a lot of the mould makers use this stuff. It is 65-45-12 ductile iron. I have always used either aluminum or just gray cast iron. It was about $65 for a 3 foot bar of this stuff shipped to Utah from Wisconsin. Enough to cut about 20 moulds.
I gotta say, if it machines in the lathe, as well as it cuts in the mill, I’m gonna just pitch all my gray cast iron into the trash.
The mill doesn’t act like it even knows anything is in there.
Gotta set of blocks ready for vents and locating pins. I think I’m gonna cut about a 450 grain .453-.454 bullet. Probably the one I posted in “Question for Machinists” only take the bottom land off so it ends up about 450 grains instead of 500...
Great stuff so far.
I’ll post pics as we go.
Thanks Lewis! This stuff seems better than sliced bread!

My internet is too slow......I posted the same thing twice.... replaced the 2nd post with this...

AWESOME STUFF Stacey!! Those vent lines look REALLY GOOD :lewis: I was curious how it would Machine compared to what you have been using? It sounds like GOOD Stuff, and doesn’t Break the Bank to Purchase it. I am Anxious to see how it Casts for you? I really think you will Notice a Difference

I dont recall if you've said, have you done any mods to existing molds? Like mod a band or lengthen a bullet? Or just change it completely
I have bored a larger bullet cavity a couple times i.e. a .45 out to .50 and a .50 out to a .58

Pins are in. Next I gotta decide on a bullet to cut.. probably gonna cut a .45 cal in the .400-.450 range.

Attachments

• 272381EE-A73F-45FE-BE59-5E7CCF91C814.jpeg
    272381EE-A73F-45FE-BE59-5E7CCF91C814.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5
Okay so, I changed up what I’m gonna cut out of this new block. I’m going with an upscale version of the .410” 400 grain Lyman Snover bullet. I’m gonna cut the blocks at .456 and hopefully, I get a .451-452 bullet out of them. Should weigh in, if ratios are accurate, at 445-450 grains. (.410 over 400 is equal to .456 over 445) I know the math is right on the equation, just don’t know if that holds true on a cylindrical object ar if you gotta factor pi into it somehow. Anyway, here’s the nose profile, just have to mill it into a cutting bit and harden it. Next step, boring out the blocks......

Attachments

• F3455861-D899-4758-ABF2-4B32851531DD.jpeg
    F3455861-D899-4758-ABF2-4B32851531DD.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • B3464E85-BC0A-4015-89E3-863B495AC290.jpeg
    B3464E85-BC0A-4015-89E3-863B495AC290.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
Okay so, I changed up what I’m gonna cut out of this new block. I’m going with an upscale version of the .410” 400 grain Lyman Snover bullet. I’m gonna cut the blocks at .456 and hopefully, I get a .451-452 bullet out of them. Should weigh in, if ratios are accurate, at 445-450 grains. (.410 over 400 is equal to .456 over 445) I know the math is right on the equation, just don’t know if that holds true on a cylindrical object ar if you gotta factor pi into it somehow. Anyway, here’s the nose profile, just have to mill it into a cutting bit and harden it. Next step, boring out the blocks......

Looks good Stacey!! That Should make a DANDY Bullet :lewis:

After all that, I set the mill too deep
And screwed if up.,. V2 coming in about a week..
Unfortunate that you missed the depth for the nose profile cutter but them’s the breaks.
I appreciate seeing your step by step method of cutting your mold. Now if only I could get to cutting mine......
Keep up the good work and stay healthy.

I
Unfortunate that you missed the depth for the nose profile cutter but them’s the breaks.
I appreciate seeing your step by step method of cutting your mold. Now if only I could get to cutting mine......
Keep up the good work and stay healthy.
Thank you! I actually think I forgot to tighten the bit in the chuck and it sucked down. I have the blocks all dialed in in the four jaw. I’ll have to make a new cutter on my old lathe cause I don’t want to try and redial those blocks in. It doesn’t seem to leave as nice a finish.... I guess I’ll have to leave a thou or thou and a half and sand it in so it’s clean... Hopefully I can get to it on Saturday. Right now I’m in Las Vegas trying to get my daughters house ready to sell. Her husband took his life in January and he was in the middle of a remodel. I have a couple of drywall patches to finish up, one room to finish flooring in, and baseboards through the whole house.

I

Thank you! I actually think I forgot to tighten the bit in the chuck and it sucked down. I have the blocks all dialed in in the four jaw. I’ll have to make a new cutter on my old lathe cause I don’t want to try and redial those blocks in. It doesn’t seem to leave as nice a finish.... I guess I’ll have to leave a thou or thou and a half and sand it in so it’s clean... Hopefully I can get to it on Saturday. Right now I’m in Las Vegas trying to get my daughters house ready to sell. Her husband took his life in January and he was in the middle of a remodel. I have a couple of drywall patches to finish up, one room to finish flooring in, and baseboards through the whole house.
My sympathies. It must be an awful time for both you and your daughter. Best wishes to get thru these difficult times.

Thanks guys! Here’s nose cutter V2. Just gotta harden and sharpen and hopefully I have enough relief cut into it that it actually cuts and doesn’t rub.

Attachments

• 4A2F18CE-2F54-4A05-9924-FC79383E3862.jpeg
    4A2F18CE-2F54-4A05-9924-FC79383E3862.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
Here’s the first bullet. I held the mould together with pliers, don’t have it ready for handles yet. Curiosity kills me sometimes. No sprue plate, and a cold mould, it came it at .450” on the dot, and weighed 557 grains with a little heap on the back end of the bullet. I think once the mould heats up and it’s finished, they’ll probably be right at .451-.452 and weigh 555 grains. We shall see...

Attachments

• C6E06765-069E-487D-AEA9-90A08B60FA8B.jpeg
    C6E06765-069E-487D-AEA9-90A08B60FA8B.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 9
Back