New muzzleloader from Ar with two Knight rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCinAR

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I'm new to muzzleloaders but purchased two, from a fellow deer camp member who is in failing health, he isn't able to give me any info on them. I'm hoping I can get an education from ya'll. They are both Knight rifles with a plunger style action. They both need a through cleaning. When I tried to clean the nipple I couldn't remove it because My socket wouldn't fit in the recessed area around the nipple. Went to BassPro and all they wanted to do was sell me a new riffle. Guess I paid too much for my riffles but the money went to a good cause. From what I understand I can update the action in the riffle.
So here is my question where can I get a nipple remover and new modern actions for my riffles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey ya'll, I'm new to muzzleloaders but purchased two, from a fellow deer camp member who is in failing health, he isn't able to give me any info on them. I'm hoping I can get an education from ya'll. They are both Knight rifles with a plunger style action. They both need a through cleaning. When I tried to clean the nipple I couldn't remove it because My socket wouldn't fit in the recessed area around the nipple. Went to BassPro and all they wanted to do was sell me a new riffle. Guess I paid too much for my riffles but the money went to a good cause. From what I understand I can update the action in the riffle.
So here is my question where can I get a nipple remover and new modern actions for my riffles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum :lewis:

What Model of Knights are they? Which of these Breech Plugs looks like yours? The Slotted Type (Like a LARGE Flat Screw Driver) or Hex/Socket Head
AuuzdA9l.jpg

Are you using 1/4" drive sockets? Most of those are pretty thin walled and may fit into it. Or you could, buy a cheap socket that fits the hex, and grind down the outside until it goes into the recess. Not sure what size the hex would be on the Knight rifles, I have never owned one, somebody else could answer that question though.
I've had to modify sockets to fit into pockets before though. I usually use my lathe, but in the past, have used a grinder. Just keep a bowl of water handy to cool it off every few seconds of grinding. Gets pretty hot, pretty fast.
Once you get it out, you could measure the pocket and take a socket to a machine shop and have them turn it down so it fits and looks purty.

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna try it
Are you using 1/4" drive sockets? Most of those are pretty thin walled and may fit into it. Or you could, buy a cheap socket that fits the hex, and grind down the outside until it goes into the recess. Not sure what size the hex would be on the Knight rifles, I have never owned one, somebody else could answer that question though.
I've had to modify sockets to fit into pockets before though. I usually use my lathe, but in the past, have used a grinder. Just keep a bowl of water handy to cool it off every few seconds of grinding. Gets pretty hot, pretty fast.
Once you get it out, you could measure the pocket and take a socket to a machine shop and have them turn it down so it fits and looks purty.
Welcome to the Forum :lewis:

What Model of Knights are they? Which of these Breech Plugs looks like yours? The Slotted Type (Like a LARGE Flat Screw Driver) or Hex/Socket Head
AuuzdA9l.jpg
Just one more thing the hex is on the nipple, I haven't gotten to the breech plug yet, but I bet could answer that question after I get home from work.

Hopefully you can remove the breech plugs with no problems.

Yea no doubt! If they were Shot and not Cleaned, you got your Work cut out for Ya

I am talking about the Breech Plug itself, The early Models came with a Slotted Head Breech Plug that Takes a Special Tool to Remove them (Breech Plug on the Right) The Later Models Came with a Hex Head (Breech Plug on the Left, Red Arrow Pointing at Hex Head) The nipple Screws in to the Breech Plug (Blue Arrow Pointing at Nipple)
AnlbyuNl.jpg

Knight Breech Plug, and Nipple Removal Tool. This is for the Slotted Style Breech Plugs

tZW6dRh.jpg

Here you can see the End that removes the Nipple from the Breech Plug
3sYo1wt.jpg

And the other end of the Tool, for Removing a Slotted Head Style Breech Plug
gaUNWAu.jpg

And here is the End of the Newer Style Knight Breech Plug Tool For Removing Hex Head Breech Plugs. BUT This Tool is NOT needed for the Hex Head Style Plugs, if you already have the Tool that is Great, But if not, You can use a 1/4” Ratchet with long extension and Deep Well 7/16 Socket, a 3/8” Drive Is to Big (at least it was for my Knight Mountaineer) I was able to use a 3/8 Ratchet/Extension/Deep Well Socket with my Old MK-85
KCOa6x2.jpg

Lastly, If you are not REALLY Familiar with PROPERLY Cleaning a Muzzleloader after Shooting it? You DEFINITELY need to Learn how to do that!! These Rifles can be COMPLETELY Ruined with 1 Shot, Put away and Not Cleaned. It is VITAL That you learn to PROPERLY Clean, and Lube a Muzzleloader after Shooting it. All of that info is easily Found here, There are Many knowledgeable Folks on this Forum that can Help you out if you have Questions

Yes, if its hex head plug you must use a 1/4" drive, 6 point deep well socket. Most other sockets are too thick. Some 3/8" drive sockets might be thin enough but its a common problem. Many are too thick for the smaller OD plugs. Knight had 2 sizes long ago. The larger one was more common in the 54cal MKs with the larger plug.

My Ace Hardware made in Taiwan 7/16 deep well 3/8" drive fits my Mountaineer... go figure :dance2:

I'm not familiar with older Knights, older ones have a barrel that unscrews from the action?

To all that helped thank you, ended up going through all those old drawers of left over sockets and found a 12 mm that fit. Both nipples are one piece with the breech plug. I've got them soaking in some cleaner, the ripple and plugs were clogged. Making progress, Thanks for all y'alls help.

Attachments

• 20200610_204835.jpg
    20200610_204835.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
That is NOT the percussion nipple. Its the breach plug for red plastic jackets. A 209 primer fits in the jacket. The other end of the jacket goes on what looks a little like a nipple.
knight-pre-loaded-209-muzzleloader-primer-full-plastic-jackets-1298790-1.jpg

knight-pre-loaded-209-muzzleloader-primer-full-plastic-jackets-1298790-4.jpg

Back