New old muzzleloader fan. Played with an inline .45 back in the 80's - just jumped back in with an old H&R Huntsman in .58

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrangeofficer

Reaction score
Many questions about the old o-ring breech. Seems to have an old flame cut. Wondering about replacing the old flattened o-ring and using it. Is this info all in one place here?

Attachments

• PXL_20221125_154939080.jpg
    PXL_20221125_154939080.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20221127_003136137.jpg
    PXL_20221127_003136137.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20221127_003206043.jpg
    PXL_20221127_003206043.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Update: I found powder and caps and picked up a package of new #70 O-rings. I believe the flame cut on the plug was caused by firing with the old flattened ring. Installed the new ring and test fired her twice. Still waiting for the proper lead in .58 but a buddy scrounged up a couple .54 maxi's that I patched to make them fit snug. The first one took a couple hits to fire the cap and then went off on the third hit. The second load was the same. Three strikes to fire the cap. Maybe I was being a sissy when pushing the cap onto the nipple? Anyway I was shooting at a 25yd pistol target located 30yds down range and the second shot (OK the first shot was a surprise) hit 2.5" from the bull. I just received the Mag-Spark 209 nipple from Warren for the old style H&R Huntsman. I was reading about a cap that covers the nipple and contains a firing pin, but the model I got is just the screw-in cup with no cover or firing pin. Can anyone verify this is the correct Mag-Spark model for the old H&R? I haven't attempted an install yet... Thanks folks. And happy holidays!

Attachments

• PXL_20221204_203101271.jpg
    PXL_20221204_203101271.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Welcome! Don’t know anything about that particular rifle. Sounds like an interesting set-up. Yes, you may not be getting the caps fully seated on the nipple if it’s talking three hammer strikes.

Update: I found powder and caps and picked up a package of new #70 O-rings. I believe the flame cut on the plug was caused by firing with the old flattened ring. Installed the new ring and test fired her twice. Still waiting for the proper lead in .58 but a buddy scrounged up a couple .54 maxi's that I patched to make them fit snug. The first one took a couple hits to fire the cap and then went off on the third hit. The second load was the same. Three strikes to fire the cap. Maybe I was being a sissy when pushing the cap onto the nipple? Anyway I was shooting at a 25yd pistol target located 30yds down range and the second shot (OK the first shot was a surprise) hit 2.5" from the bull. I just received the Mag-Spark 209 nipple from Warren for the old style H&R Huntsman. I was reading about a cap that covers the nipple and contains a firing pin, but the model I got is just the screw-in cup with no cover or firing pin. Can anyone verify this is the correct Mag-Spark model for the old H&R? I haven't attempted an install yet... Thanks folks. And happy holidays!
That looks nothing like the Mag Sparks that ive bought. I even have a set for a ROA revolver and they are nothing like that either. You should call Warren and talk to them. Maybe they just sent the wrong model.

That looks nothing like the Mag Sparks that ive bought. I even have a set for a ROA revolver and they are nothing like that either. You should call Warren and talk to them. Maybe they just sent the wrong model.
Was yours for a H&R old model Huntsman? Because right on the order page they are a completely different animal. I am going to call Warren and verify what was sent before I attempt to use it. Thanks.

I think the Huntsman is different since the nipple is in a closed breech. I doubt there is room for a cover with the firing pin inside the breech area. I sent an email off this morning asking those questions.

Mark

Back