New Project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks Great. I too would like to here how its done and where you got the finish from.

Looks beautiful...would you mind explaining the steps? I have to look up what alcholo ink is!
Once I got the stock stripped down, I lightly scrubbed it with steel wool. Next I wiped it down, then I wiped it all down with alcohol and let dry.
Next step, I used Rust-oleum flat primer spray paint. 3 coats. Let dry for at least 24 hours.
I used Tim Holtz alcohol ink, which is the best brand from what I read.
They have a color chart on ebay, lots of colors to choose from. I picked a light and darker brown.
A couple cheap makeup brushes from the dollar store are all you really need for tools.
I squirted a line of ink along the length of the stock and brushed the ink from front to back, kinda quickly so the ink didn't run.
Did the whole stock and let dry for a few hours. A little more steel wool, and another couple coats of the ink.
I found that alcohol reactivates the ink, so if you have runs or want to change the look, you can wet a cloth with alcohol and do a little wiping.
From what I've read, the alcohol ink isn't durable by itself. I got a can of Rust-oleum matte clear coat and will apply 4 or 5 coats when I'm done with the ink.
I'm not very artistic but I'm sure that someone who is could do a stock and make it like a laminate stock.
Between the ink, brushes and spray paint. My materials were under 30 dollars.

Once I got the stock stripped down, I lightly scrubbed it with steel wool. Next I wiped it down, then I wiped it all down with alcohol and let dry.
Next step, I used Rust-oleum flat primer spray paint. 3 coats. Let dry for at least 24 hours.
I used Tim Holtz alcohol ink, which is the best brand from what I read.
They have a color chart on ebay, lots of colors to choose from. I picked a light and darker brown.
A couple cheap makeup brushes from the dollar store are all you really need for tools.
I squirted a line of ink along the length of the stock and brushed the ink from front to back, kinda quickly so the ink didn't run.
Did the whole stock and let dry for a few hours. A little more steel wool, and another couple coats of the ink.
I found that alcohol reactivates the ink, so if you have runs or want to change the look, you can wet a cloth with alcohol and do a little wiping.
From what I've read, the alcohol ink isn't durable by itself. I got a can of Rust-oleum matte clear coat and will apply 4 or 5 coats when I'm done with the ink.
I'm not very artistic but I'm sure that someone who is could do a stock and make it like a laminate stock.
Between the ink, brushes and spray paint. My materials were under 30 dollars.
Late response I know. Looks great. My 20 min camo on my black stock. I'm a rattlecan Rembrandt with some Ponderosa needles and Walmart. Actually darker than this but the flash really bounced off of the white...Trader

Attachments

• P1270002.JPG
    P1270002.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 38
  • P1270010.JPG
    P1270010.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P1270011.JPG
    P1270011.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 37
Gentleman on here trying to sell that CVA pistol he's trying to figure out how to think to paint a snow pattern on a little rifle that he finds I think he's got a person that can do it right here

That stock turned out great, Trader! I love the snow camos and your's is about as good as it gets.

I used to camo recurve bows for club members and used all sort of "natural" stencils. Ditchweed was a favorite. I did a cop's bow in maryjane pattern and he never really noticed until he showed the bow to another cop.

That stock turned out great, Trader! I love the snow camos and your's is about as good as it gets.

I used to camo recurve bows for club members and used all sort of "natural" stencils. Ditchweed was a favorite. I did a cop's bow in maryjane pattern and he never really noticed until he showed the bow to another cop.
Where did you get that natural stencil? Just asking for a friend

27901F6F-1F1A-4841-8A9F-7141C15F7595.jpeg
this is a shotgun I did with spray paint. Holds up surprisingly well. I just have to be cautious about getting bore solvent on it when cleaning it. The paint doesn’t like that too much. You can see my stencils to the right of it laying on the pallet. And yes that is a porch swing bed my wife wanted me to make. I put a queen size memory foam mattress on top… works pretty good too. My wife has used it about 5 times in three years

Last edited:
Where did you get that natural stencil? Just asking for a friend
You can tell your friend that SE Minnesota's abandoned farm sites are primer areas to locate the ditch weed. Early July. Pick and use fresh for the best, cleanest results. If they like they can pick extra and try it after drying or pick some a week ahead and smoke it while doing the camo job so they're less critical with the paint job.

Latest posts

Back