New Renegade .54

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend gave me a really good deal on this .54 Renegade, sold it to me for what he payed for it which was a killer deal.. this gun is not new condition as it has a few tiny specs in bluing, but bore is pristine, nipple area looks like new and wood is almost perfect. Best looking T/C side lock I've seen around here in the last 20 years maybe ever, you just don't find them in this good of condition anymore.

20190307_200231.jpg 20190307_200246.jpg 20190307_200303.jpg 20190307_200239.jpg

Yep that looks like a keeper for sure. You know what would really look good on that rifle? Yep you guessed it..the Williams Fire sights that I have for sale in the classifieds;) They are for a TC octagon barrel.

The Renegade is the prettiest rifle T/C made in my opinion for hunting. I have the .54 (I'm original owner bought new in 1993) Please don't put a scope on it....

Ive got that short barreled .54 Renegade that Bobby Hoyt did for me its been drilled for a scope by a previous owner, when I bought it it had those ridiculously tall see thru mounts on it. No danger of this one being drilled by me.

The Renegade is the prettiest rifle T/C made in my opinion for hunting. I have the .54 (I'm original owner bought new in 1993) Please don't put a scope on it....

I too am a fan of the Renegade. Of course I'm also a fan of the Hawken, just love TC's.

I too just picked up a Renegade for an amazing deal, not quite as nice as yours though. I ended up taking the barrel out and replaced it with a .45 LRH.

Last edited:
I too just picked up a Renegade for an amazing deal, not quite as nice as yours though. I ended up taking the barrel out and replaced it with a .45 LRH.

I did the same thing! It Loves 70gr of Swiss 3F and my Gould HP bullets. Can’t wait till the weather warms up a little as I want to try 80gr of Swiss 2F.

Ed,
yes I bought it don't know what I'm going to do with it, cant shoot the ones I have now just didn't want it to go to someone who would let it turn to scrap.

The Renegade is probably my favorite gun of all time and of any type and if T/C had given them another inch and a half of trigger pull and about a 32in barrel they would be perfect.

Don't have long arms and the trigger pull on them now with hunting clothes on is a bit long or at least with the trigger guard set up the way it is.. prefer the shorter barrel for tree stand hunting, don't like trying to swing long barreled guns in tight quarters..I like a long barreled muzzleloader for offhand shooting like when squirrel hunting or target shooting though.
My other Renegade has some pretty wood for a Renegade stock.

The Renegade is probably my favorite gun of all time and of any type and if T/C had given them another inch and a half of trigger pull and about a 32in barrel they would be perfect.

Nice Old Rifle Dean!! That is the Old High Spur Hammer, There are 2 Variations of High Spur hammers, yours looks like the 2nd. If i could only have 1 Muzzleloader, it would be that EXACT Rifle, with a Green Mountain LRH Drop in Barrel to make a Set :lewis: I have a few of them Older Renegades, They are what i ALWAYS Shoot.

Thanks Lou don't know if I will ever get around to shooting it but he gave me such a good deal couldn't pass it up.

I will send you some Bullets that will Shoot in that thing Dean :lewis: My Lyman Plains, Give ya a reason to get that Rifle out and Shoot it :) This Lyman Plains Bullet is as good as it gets in these Stock 1:48 Twist Rifles, My Fast 1:28 Twist Guns Shoot Them EXTREMELY well also. My Dad shoots this Bullet very Accurately all the way out to 200 Yards in his Ole .54 Renegade

I am in no way bashing TC as I still own many of their weapons today. Just passing on information that I would have appreciated prior to experiencing an accidental discharge that caused a life changing injury. The "half-cock" position in the trigger mechanism's of these guns is not a true safety and can accidentally discharge without force. If you are not actively engaged in shooting these, remove the cap to prevent it from going off. I was walking out of the woods in half cock (safety notch) position during a deer hunt and one my hunting partners was struck in the leg. Again, not blaming as muzzle control would have also prevented injury, but I was entirely unaware of this problem until then. I still have mine...I kept it so that I could demonstrate the situation for others. You don't see a ton of them anymore so the information about this is harder to find than in the 80's. This is all I could find about it with a Google search today.

THOMPSON CENTER

MODEL RENEGADE, RIFLES

WARNING: These rifles have the potential for an accidental discharge if the hammer is not in the safety notch position.

Rifles manufactured prior to the mid-1970's may accidentally discharge. When the hammer is pulled back, prior to reaching the full cock position, a second click is heard. After the second click and prior to reaching full cock, the hammer can be released and will fall, bypassing the safety notch and firing the rifle.

Source:

• AFTE Journal, April 1983; Volume 15, Number 2:15-16

I am in no way bashing TC as I still own many of their weapons today. Just passing on information that I would have appreciated prior to experiencing an accidental discharge that caused a life changing injury. The "half-cock" position in the trigger mechanism's of these guns is not a true safety and can accidentally discharge without force. If you are not actively engaged in shooting these, remove the cap to prevent it from going off. I was walking out of the woods in half cock (safety notch) position during a deer hunt and one my hunting partners was struck in the leg. Again, not blaming as muzzle control would have also prevented injury, but I was entirely unaware of this problem until then. I still have mine...I kept it so that I could demonstrate the situation for others. You don't see a ton of them anymore so the information about this is harder to find than in the 80's. This is all I could find about it with a Google search today.

THOMPSON CENTER

MODEL RENEGADE, RIFLES

WARNING: These rifles have the potential for an accidental discharge if the hammer is not in the safety notch position.

Rifles manufactured prior to the mid-1970's may accidentally discharge. When the hammer is pulled back, prior to reaching the full cock position, a second click is heard. After the second click and prior to reaching full cock, the hammer can be released and will fall, bypassing the safety notch and firing the rifle.

Source:

• AFTE Journal, April 1983; Volume 15, Number 2:15-16

If you had the Rifle Resting in the Halfcock position the only way i can see it could possibly have fired is if you caught the hammer on something (Brush, clothing, etc.) Pulling it back part Ways, then all of a Sudden it Released, This Would Allow the Hammer to Fall on the Cap, As You bypassed the Fly. As for these Rifles Resting in the Halfcock Position, and all of a Sudden Releasing, and Firing, I Don’t see that being a possibility

. . . . . . . . . . . . . As for these Rifles Resting in the Halfcock Position, and all of a Sudden Releasing, and Firing, I Don’t see that being a possibility

Agree. Can't happen unless the half cock notch on the tumbler is broken or the seer angle has been improperly modified.

Back