New Rice 1-24 Twist .50 Cal Maiden Voyage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Our weather was horrible yesterday, But that was ok as i had a LOT of work to do on this new Rice Barrel. This morning was Windy, and COLD, But didn’t look like it was gonna Rain, or Snow. I loaded up and Headed out with my New RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, For it’s very first outing i chose to try my BIG 615 Grain Paper Patch Bullet in it. I had 7 of them Ready to go.

My Rifle Again, The “SLEEPER” .50 Cal
sbxtT1b.jpg

Bullets i chose to shoot 1st through it, From a BACO Mold i had made, .492 Diameter
ydySql3.jpg

Patched with Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper, Finished Diameter is .499, They fit TIGHT, a little to tight for my Comfort, I got away with it this morning, but you could EASILY push one through it’s Paper Jacket, .498 Will be PERFECT
wlRtJzm.jpg

eQUKdkV.jpg

I didn’t have my Range finder, i am guessing a GOOD 80 Yards. I was lucky to get in here, There is a Gate and it is usually locked, We have about 12 inches of Snow here now, and it’s WET Nasty stuff, TOUGH to get around in! The first opening i came to, i Chose it!
ePJhWHG.jpg

My Very first 2 Shots were over my Chronograph just to See what it was doing? This impressed me for a 615 Grain Bullet :lewis: 1,363, and 1,349, Charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F
CflsKWk.jpg

After the 2 Chrono Shots, i swabbed the Bore good, and sent 1 to the Target, I had NO IDEA where it would even hit? It was LOW and a little left, it Just Clipped the bottom of my White Target, I made an Elevation adjustment, But no windage, and Shot #2, It is right on the Bottom of the Black Bull, I made another Sight Correction, This time adding some Windage as well. Shot #3 is in the Black Bull. I only had 2 more Bullets left, So instead of Finishing Sighting in, i Chose to Shoot a 3 Shot Group
GBFKCyN.jpg

Here is that 3 Shot Group, To say i am happy with my new RICE Barrel would be an understatement! FACT is, I can’t shoot my Scoped Centerfires any better than this Folks
pCxhy7F.jpg

When you lay this Target down on a Flat surface you can see where just the Points of the Bullets entered, The 3 shots measure .500 (1/2” inch) The Bullets are .492, Then patched up to Bore. These pointy Bullets tear/poke a Hole in a Target, Where a Wide Meplat Bullet PUNCHES Out a Hole, like a Hole Punch
LW3WDwC.jpg

That is great!!!
Quick question. Kind of an off topic kind of. How many minutes of angle did you need to shoot the 800 yard shot with the 45?
How many minutes of angle do you think this one is going to need?

Thank you guy’s, I can’t shoot my Scoped Centerfire Rifles any better than i just shot this new Rice Barrel this morning. I am really looking forward to getting back out with it, Stretching it out :lewis:

There was 1 downer this morning, After shooting and getting it REALLY Close to Zero, I noticed i was using up more Staff than my other LR Rig?? When i got home i looked at it beside my other 2, And measured the Front sight, SURE enough Lee Shaver Sent me the Wrong Front sight, It’s marked right on the invoice, But this is his TALLEST 1-1/4”, I ordered the 1-1/8, as i knew that’s what i needed. SO, i HATE The idea of tearing this thing apart after it’s performance this morning, But I’m probably gonna, This will drive me nuts til i do

Last edited:
Thank you guy’s, I can’t shoot my Scoped Centerfire Rifle Rifles any better than i just shot this new Rice Barrel this morning. I am really looking forward to getting back out with it, Stretching it out :lewis:

There was 1 downer this morning, After shooting and getting it REALLY Close to Zero, I noticed i was using up more Staff than my other LR Rig?? When i got home i looked at it beside my other 2, And measured the Front sight, SURE enough Lee Shaver Sent me the Wrong Front sight, It’s marked right on the invoice, But this is his TALLEST 1-1/4”, I ordered the 1-1/8, as i knew that’s what i needed. SO, i HATE The idea of tearing this thing apart after it’s performance this morning, But I’m gonna, It’s gonna drive me nuts til i do

Dang I forgot to ask for the shorter one and you told me to. I got lucky and got the 1 1/8"

How much was the barrel ? I want a 54 or 50 cal. in 1/66" and only about 26" long. I want it accurate and handy , so I want a short barrel for hunting and fun at the range. I could go that route , or just have my GM barrel cut down to 26", but what fun would that be to not get another barrel?

That is great!!!
Quick question. Kind of an off topic kind of. How many minutes of angle did you need to shoot the 800 yard shot with the 45?
How many minutes of angle do you think this one is going to need?

Ron, That shoot took me right at 95 MOA, That BIG 530 Grain Elliptical PP Bullet was in the Air awhile :D At the Highest point in the Trajectory Rainbow that Bullet would have been about 65 Feet above the Target. Pretty impressive when you think about it

With your much lighter, shorter, lower BC Bullet, I say you will need closer to 110 MOA (Going off my 825 Yard Knight Mountaineer Shoot, With my 428 Grain PP Bullet, The best i can remember i was 105 MOA On that Shoot) 110 MOA is what I think it will take you? Have a Spotter with ya if possible, I would Start about 105 MOA, That will get you Close anyway :lewis:

See what i mean? The 1-1/8” would have kept me lower. I knew what i needed when i ordered the 1-1/8“ Front Sight, But somehow there was a Mistake made and Lee sent me his Tallest 1-1/4” Front Sight. It’s not a HUGE deal, it just bugs me. But i also didn’t take in to account the Shorter base of this Eco Soule sight, Look at the Difference in sight bases of my Eco vs my Super Grade

Ron, That shoot took me right at 95 MOA, That BIG 530 Grain Elliptical PP Bullet was in the Air awhile :D At the Highest point in the Trajectory Rainbow that Bullet would have been about 65 Feet above the Target. Pretty impressive when you think about it

With your much lighter, shorter, lower BC Bullet, I say you will need closer to 110 MOA (Going off my 825 Yard Knight Mountaineer Shoot, With my 428 Grain PP Bullet, The best i can remember i was 105 MOA On that Shoot) 110 MOA is what I think it will take you? Have a Spotter with ya if possible, I would Start about 105 MOA, That will get you Close anyway :lewis:

Ya the hang time was like 6 seconds on your shots. I bet your right on the 110. It would be a place to start.

My plan is to shoot 50 yard increments out to How ever far I can get, but that will be much later. I need to find a bullet that is a little more long range friendly.

Dang that gives up 30 moa.

I know it! And I’m pouting about it! There’s a part of me that hates to take it apart, But it’s just a sight, not a big deal. I was gonna play with the Bubble level in the Front sight this morning, But i left it at home. They distract me, i feel like i am struggling to hard to keep it in the middle. If i leave it at home I don’t have to worry about it :D

My plan is to shoot 50 yard increments out to How ever far I can get, but that will be much later. I need to find a bullet that is a little more long range friendly.

With your open Country that is DEFINITELY the way to do it!! As you know from being up here, and seeing this country, that’s NOT EVEN an option for me. I struggle to find a place over 500 Yards, and when i do it’s over Mountains, Ridges, Old Logging units Etc. In short, it’s a ***** up here in this Country doing this by yourself, with no spotter. Believe me, i have had some REALLY Bad days just trying to get on Target

Hey Ron, Does that Ridge top look familiar? You and i walked every square inch of that for a few hours, a few years ago :D We we’re actually just on the back side of it, But we were on top here as well
cwYIzRd.jpg

Back