New Rice 1-24 Twist .50 Cal Maiden Voyage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ron, Does that Ridge top look familiar? You and i walked every square inch of that for a few hours, a few years ago :D We we’re actually just on the back side of it, But we were on top here as well
cwYIzRd.jpg

Finding Places here is easy but the wind😪
I do remember that spot. I need to come back up there for a visit. Big game is not as good but we could pick on ground squirrels with air rifles 🤣

Finding Places here is easy but the wind😪
I do remember that spot. I need to come back up there for a visit. Big game is not as good but we could pick on ground squirrels with air rifles 🤣

Me, Jax, and Lita would enjoy having you up here again Ron, You would have a BLAST hunting these Wild Turkey’s with me. Jax ran across a Video Clip recently of Lita sitting with you, and me walking over like i was gonna get ya, In short Lita thought a lot more of you than she did me, She wasn’t having NONE of me being anywhere near her new Buddy Idahoron :roll: She’s stil here with us, hasn’t changed a Bit, She is like a Kid to us

Did you see this? I figured you would get a kick out of it if you did
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/lita’s-turkey.35812/
I would ENJOY the heck out of Shooting these Muzzleloaders with ya Ron, We would have a LOT of Fun With it :lewis:

How much was the barrel ? I want a 54 or 50 cal. in 1/66" and only about 26" long. I want it accurate and handy , so I want a short barrel for hunting and fun at the range. I could go that route , or just have my GM barrel cut down to 26", but what fun would that be to not get another barrel?

I am not sure how much for a Roundball Barrel? These Bullet barrels are different, These are “Match Grade” 4140 Chromoly Steel, with Left hand Twist.

My advise is to Contact Jason at RICE and ask him? He is a SUPER Nice Guy, and makes an AWESOME Barrel. I have 2 of these Bullet Barrels now, and i can see another one in the not so Distant Future :)

Rice Barrels
https://www.ricebarrels.com/

Me, Jax, and Lita would enjoy having you up here again Ron, You would have a BLAST hunting these Wild Turkey’s with me. Jax ran across a Video Clip recently of Lita sitting with you, and me walking over like i was gonna get ya, In short Lita thought a lot more of you than she did me, She wasn’t having NONE of me being anywhere near her new Buddy Idahoron :roll: She’s stil here with us, hasn’t changed a Bit, She is like a Kid to us

I would ENJOY the heck out of Shooting these Muzzleloaders with ya Ron, We would have a LOT of Fun With it :lewis:

That little stink, I sure enjoyed her. I didn't see that thread that is a hoot.

Our weather was horrible yesterday, But that was ok as i had a LOT of work to do on this new Rice Barrel. This morning was Windy, and COLD, But didn’t look like it was gonna Rain, or Snow. I loaded up and Headed out with my New RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, For it’s very first outing i chose to try my BIG 615 Grain Paper Patch Bullet in it. I had 7 of them Ready to go.

My Rifle Again, The “SLEEPER” .50 Cal
sbxtT1b.jpg

Bullets i chose to shoot 1st through it, From a BACO Mold i had made, .492 Diameter
ydySql3.jpg

Patched with Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper, Finished Diameter is .499, They fit TIGHT, a little to tight for my Comfort, I got away with it this morning, but you could EASILY push one through it’s Paper Jacket, .498 Will be PERFECT
wlRtJzm.jpg

eQUKdkV.jpg

I didn’t have my Range finder, i am guessing a GOOD 80 Yards. I was lucky to get in here, There is a Gate and it is usually locked, We have about 12 inches of Snow here now, and it’s WET Nasty stuff, TOUGH to get around in! The first opening i came to, i Chose it!
ePJhWHG.jpg

My Very first 2 Shots were over my Chronograph just to See what it was doing? This impressed me for a 615 Grain Bullet :lewis: 1,363, and 1,349, Charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F
CflsKWk.jpg

After the 2 Chrono Shots, i swabbed the Bore good, and sent 1 to the Target, I had NO IDEA where it would even hit? It was LOW and a little left, it Just Clipped the bottom of my White Target, I made an Elevation adjustment, But no windage, and Shot #2, It is right on the Bottom of the Black Bull, I made another Sight Correction, This time adding some Windage as well. Shot #3 is in the Black Bull. I only had 2 more Bullets left, So instead of Finishing Sighting in, i Chose to Shoot a 3 Shot Group
GBFKCyN.jpg

Here is that 3 Shot Group, To say i am happy with my new RICE Barrel would be an understatement! FACT is, I can’t shoot my Scoped Centerfires any better than this Folks
pCxhy7F.jpg

When you lay this Target down on a Flat surface you can see where just the Points of the Bullets entered, The 3 shots measure .500 (1/2” inch) The Bullets are .492, Then patched up to Bore. These pointy Bullets tear/poke a Hole in a Target, Where a Wide Meplat Bullet PUNCHES Out a Hole, like a Hole Punch
LW3WDwC.jpg

Our weather was horrible yesterday, But that was ok as i had a LOT of work to do on this new Rice Barrel. This morning was Windy, and COLD, But didn’t look like it was gonna Rain, or Snow. I loaded up and Headed out with my New RICE 1-24 Twist .50 Cal, For it’s very first outing i chose to try my BIG 615 Grain Paper Patch Bullet in it. I had 7 of them Ready to go.

sbxtT1b.jpg

Bullets i chose to shoot 1st through it, From a BACO Mold i had made, .492 Diameter
ydySql3.jpg

Patched with Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper, Finished Diameter is .499, They fit TIGHT, a little to tight for my Comfort, I got away with it this morning, but you could EASILY push one through it’s Paper Jacket, .498 Will be PERFECT
wlRtJzm.jpg

eQUKdkV.jpg

I didn’t have my Range finder, i am guessing a GOOD 80 Yards. I was lucky to get in here, There is a Gate and it is usually locked, We have about 12 inches of Snow here now, and it’s WET Nasty stuff, TOUGH to get around in! The first opening i came to, i Chose it!
ePJhWHG.jpg

My Very first 2 Shots were over my Chronograph just to See what it was doing? This impressed me for a 615 Grain Bullet :lewis: 1,363, and 1,349, Charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F
CflsKWk.jpg

After the 2 Chrono Shots, i swabbed the Bore good, and sent 1 to the Target, I had NO IDEA where it would even hit? It was LOW and a little left, it Just Clipped the bottom of my White Target, I made an Elevation adjustment, But no windage, and Shot #2, It is right on the Bottom of the Black Bull, I made another Sight Correction, This time adding some Windage as well. Shot #3 is in the Black Bull. I only had 2 more Bullets left, So instead of Finishing Sighting in, i Chose to Shoot a 3 Shot Group
GBFKCyN.jpg

Here is that 3 Shot Group, To say i am happy with my new RICE Barrel would be an understatement! FACT is, I can’t shoot my Scoped Centerfires any better than this Folks
pCxhy7F.jpg

When you lay this Target down on a Flat surface you can see where just the Points of the Bullets entered, The 3 shots measure .500 (1/2” inch) The Bullets are .492, Then patched up to Bore. These pointy Bullets tear/poke a Hole in a Target, Where a Wide Meplat Bullet PUNCHES Out a Hole, like a Hole Punch
LW3WDwC.jpg
Hi Idaholewis or Idahoron, been following your work for some time and it's astounding! May I ask whether your Rice barrel was special order or can one pick one up somewhere? Thanks for the info! Clay

sbxtT1b.jpg

ydySql3.jpg

wlRtJzm.jpg

eQUKdkV.jpg

ePJhWHG.jpg

CflsKWk.jpg

GBFKCyN.jpg

pCxhy7F.jpg

LW3WDwC.jpg
You the man! I would love to learn how to do this. This is some serious precision. Can you please share some of your expertise on to me? pb

You the man! I would love to learn how to do this. This is some serious precision. Can you please share some of your expertise on to me? pb

Thank you for the kind words my friend!

I have thought about doing a Video, Showing how i hold my Rifle, What i consider Do’s & Dont’s to get the ABSOLUTE Most out of YOURSELF & Your Rifle

Having an accurate Rifle is just Part of the Equation, We as Shooters HAVE to do our Part in order for our Rifle to do it’s.

Keep an eye out, i will think up a Shooting Technique Video and get on Making it, Showing EXACTLY how i do it :lewis:

Hi Idaholewis or Idahoron, been following your work for some time and it's astounding! May I ask whether your Rice barrel was special order or can one pick one up somewhere? Thanks for the info! Clay

Thank you Clay77, You Can’t tell i enjoy this Stuff huh? :D

TC ”Drop in” RICE Barrels are special order, You place your Order and Wait for the Barrel to be Built. Jason of Rice Barrels is a SUPER NICE Guy, I have never Met him, But he is a friend of mine just from Speaking to him over the Phone. He builds a VERY HIGH QUALITY Barrel, I HIGHLY Recommend them :lewis: This is my 2nd Rice Barrel, My .45/1:20 is ALL over my YouTube Channel, That Barrel has Shot MANY MANY Bug Hole Groups, and has done so with a WIDE array of Bullets, From Jacketed, to My home cast Lead & Alloy Bullets ranging from 300 to Well over 500 Grains. These are AWESOME Barrels

So my understanding is rice doesn’t make a fast twist rate barrel in 54 caliber?

Nice rifle, nice shooting! Got me one notch closer to getting a muzzleloader like that and I'm a hard core smokeless inline shooter 😀 That's a freight train hunk of lead:lewis:

I tell ya, SMLs are fun but its hard to argue with the simplicity of a soft lead conical. Your 45cal SML will shoot big ole lead just fine too. Very little BH209 is needed if you dont want to use more corrosive powders. Sure beats the heck out of burning $2+ per shot. Ive shot upto 488gr@1350-1400fps (ish) in mine and it could probably shoot some a little larger. Its a real hoot shooting them suckers.

I am not sure how much for a Roundball Barrel? These Bullet barrels are different, These are “Match Grade” 4140 Chromoly Steel, with Left hand Twist.

My advise is to Contact Jason at RICE and ask him? He is a SUPER Nice Guy, and makes an AWESOME Barrel. I have 2 of these Bullet Barrels now, and i can see another one in the not so Distant Future :)

Rice Barrels
Are these drop in in my Renegade stock ? /Ed

Rice Barrels
Jason was on the muzzle blast podcast. It’s on National Muzzleloading Rifle Association YouTube channel if anyone is interested in listening to it. It’s pretty interesting to hear his story. I tried to put the link here but I couldn’t get it to post the link, only the text version of the link that wouldn’t take you to the video

Latest posts

Back