New rock chucker supreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not an expert like the inventors of the 450 bushmaster. I have however been reloading for 40 yeas and have studied the works of P. O. Ackley. Everyone knows that you run a risk when you headspace on the case mouth. It will eventually bite you in the ass. IMHO they screwed up royally on the 450 by doing this. If they would have just chosen the proper case they could have avoided these problems. Mark my word you havent heard the last of the problems with the 450. They are trouble looking to happen.

The partial crimp is likely because they increased the speed of the loading process at the factory. Within a certain speed the presses can keep within a tolerance. They are trying to meet demand so they increased the speed beyond the presses ability too stay within tolerance.

I started with a Rock Chucker almost 30 years ago and it has paid for it self at least ten times already.
I too load a lot of 30-06, but my best success has been with 4895 and Hornady 180 grain soft points.

I have a Lyman turret press Ive had for 40 years. I have to say when the going gets tough and you have to ready apply a lot of pressure to the ram I can see a minor tilt in the turret. It worked well for me and I loaded some very accurate cartridges.

Having said that, I always thought of buying a companion press and that Rock Chucker would have been the one. Its more rigid and if a loader was looking for 1/4" accuracy at 100 yards I think that press would be the one to do it.

Your off to a great start with that press.

I've got this exact set up. Lyman turret for my handgun stuff in not so interested in precision and a rock chucker for all my rifle stuff. The turret tilt is typical. I think the rock chucker might be the best press out there!
I have a Lyman turret press Ive had for 40 years. I have to say when the going gets tough and you have to ready apply a lot of pressure to the ram I can see a minor tilt in the turret. It worked well for me and I loaded some very accurate cartridges.

Having said that, I always thought of buying a companion press and that Rock Chucker would have been the one. Its more rigid and if a loader was looking for 1/4" accuracy at 100 yards I think that press would be the one to do it.

Your off to a great start with that press.

I had mine since 1985. I broke the priming stick after 5 yrs. They gave me a new one. That was the only problem I ever had with it.

For those that have used both how does the Redding Ultramag press compare?

View attachment 13737
View attachment 13738
View attachment 13739

I just pulled the trigger on a rcbs rock chucker supreme after some recommendations from the reloading forum. I also purchased a 4 set of lee dies I also got the 2 set rcbs dies to compare. Both dies are for 30.06.

I am going to be using H380, winchester brass, cci 250 primers chucking speer 150 grain boat tails. Not ideal but it is what I found that works (has published load data).

I am excited. Wish me luck!
Congrats you'll love reloading I highly recommend you getting some reloading books and read up before you start just my opinion and great success!!

Hard to beat a Rock Chucker! I have two of them and a RCBS Reloader special and a Partner press. Muzzlestuffer is correct get a few good reloading books and start reading. If you plan to ever load lead bullets make sure to get a Lyman book. I try and get a book made by the bullet manufacturer's I use most. Sierra and Nosler. I seldom use Speer bullets but really like their manual and have two of them. Need to get a Barnes and Hornady manual someday. Good luck and no question is a bad question when you are learning. 30+ years has taught me that.

Started with a RCBS Jr. in '67. Graduated to a Rock Chucker in the mid-70s'. When the right deal comes along it will be replaced with a Lyman All-American 8. So many projects, so little time. The .30-06 was Eleanor's BIG game rifle.

OP, I believe I have .380 once fired brass if you want it. I gave a bunch away a few years ago, but there is probably more. It is at the other house, and I will not get there until Wednesday. PM if you want it, and I will check.
Others interested, can have it if OP does not PM, and they will be considered in the order PM's are received.

Thanks everyone. I have since used my rock chucker for reloading the following, .380, 9mm, 350 legend, 450 bushmaster, 30-06 and most recently 300 blackout.

Also important I have learned is bullet selection. You ideally want to get the right bullet for the job. Very important to know the difference between pistol rated bullets and rifle rated velocities.

An example is the Hornady xtp line, made for pistol however some xtp mag is safe at rifle velocity. The spire point or ftx is better suited for rifle application. This confusion can happen when shopping for common pistol and rifle bullet diameter. Hornady makes .45 caliber 250 grain xtp bullets I accidentally purchased for 450 reloading.

I am told that the xtp non mag will work in the 450 if I don't push it. I find the reports on deer interesting. One poster claimed a large entrance wound with a small exit wound..

To me that indicates that the bullet fragments badly on impact. What I thought was a good hunting round may not be ideal for hunting at all. I am still going to try them myself to see the results.

I have a bunch of dies, case trimmer, a powder thrower 3 yes 3 scales tons of brass, primers, 8lb jugs of lilgun and Winchester 760 a 4 pounder of accurate 2 a Franklin case tumbler. The collection has definitely grown but it started with my rock chucker. I also acquired several books, lee's and Hornady plus the hodgdon online data.

Small entrance and large entrance can happen with many bullets. Depends what the bullet hits. Good example is 150 grain cup and core bullets in a 30-06. I have seen huge exit wounds from them. Keep reading and experimenting and you will learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I have been reloading for almost 35 years and am still learning.

I have been reloading for almost 35 years and am still learning.
About the same here. As Don says, still learning.

Always remember half cocked that bullet placement is the key. I subscribe to the bullet pass through so I have a blood trail to follow. Put a hole through the vitals and they will die. Make them leak out of two holes and they will be easier to find and likely not run as far. However a complete release of energy in the body cavity can drop them like a rock. We all have different hunting conditions. Pick a bullet that suits yours and shoot them (in) through the vitals.

Back