New Savage Impulse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the concept overall, but one concern is when the bolt handle gets bumped back, without pulling, for one reason or another. How does that effect the bolt lockup an chambered round?

It’s one of those things that seems like it would make sense but none of the previous attempts have amounted to much, at least not amongst civilians. Kind of a solution searching for a problem.
My uncle had a beautiful Ross sporting rifle that I would have liked the opportunity to fool with.

Merkel and other Euro companies offer a similar setup for roughly 2-3x the cost. The concept it hardly new. The Swiss even had one back during WWII.
https://gundigest.com/rifles/hunting-rifles/the-all-un-american-straight-pull-bolt-action-rifle
The interesting thing is....caliber swap should be simple. The barrel does not thread into the action. It threads into a block that goes in the action so even a takedown model becomes possible. Bolt to barrel lockup happens there. So you can machine the action from a lighter alloy and still have the strength.
impuls21x4op.png

Last edited:
I want one, with the bolt being switchable to port side, I would love to try one, shot a borrowed Blazer straight pull, in 416 and it was so swift it wasn't funny, not crazy about Savages choice for stocks, nor the limited calibers but with the barrel set up , I can see a new 6x45 or another 25x45 in line up for a run and yotes

I like the concept overall, but one concern is when the bolt handle gets bumped back, without pulling, for one reason or another. How does that effect the bolt lockup an chambered round?
It’s locked into position unless you pull the trigger or there is a button you have to press to work the bolt without firing the gun

That’s my thought as well? It seems like a cool concept and all, I’d worry about torching one off and the Bolt Smack me in the Face 😬 I’ll be sticking with my Rem 700 Style Bolt Lockup

That’s my thought as well? It seems like a cool concept and all, I’d worry about torching one off and the Bolt Smack me in the Face 😬 I’ll be sticking with my Rem 700 Style Bolt Lockup
True that! Instead of scope-bite cut over the eye, bolt-punch bruise under the eye...Ouch

My bolt guns are for accuracy and strength as far as I am concerned. Speed of running the bolt is not a real issue to me, not hunting dangerous game up close. Also normally the first shot is the best and only one needed so I do not need to operate the bolt quickly.
Now there may be other reasons to have the same and I am sure they will sell a fair amount. Glad Savage is innovative at a lower cost point but I do not think I will be needing one.
Never cared much for my M16 in the service so never got into semi autos much after that. Just recently sold my M1.
Still a conventional bolt action can be pretty fast. Generally hunt deer with a smokeless ML or a 45-70 single shot. This year used a .350 Legend for the first time. Hit a buck hard on the first shot, surprised when he took off towards the neighbor's property. Did not want him to get there, hit him twice more on the run. Actually probably did not need the third shot, he was pretty wobbly at that point but wanted to be sure he was down. All boiler room hits. Had not worked a bolt fast in years but without thinking it all seemed to come back. Now up close and personal with a Cape Buffalo I might want something faster as long as it was absolutely reliable or maybe a double gun.

I had a couple M95 Mannlichers. Good guns when not worn to death...
Had 2 1905 Ross .303s. OUTSTANDING rifles and terrifyingly accurate. Kinda wish I still had one.
Also had 2 K31s. Very fine rifles to be sure. The Ross shot rings around them though...
Keep in mind you do lose some primary extraction power. Think 760 Remington.

Always nice to see new designs at price friendly for the working class folks. I have a couple of the Browning t-bolts and one knight T-bolt, I don't see an advantage for standard hunting or plinking. But I can see advantages shooting prone or off a bipod.

A redesign of the old Knight Tbolt could have interesting applications for a sealed breech ML. Make it similar to the Browning.

My bolt guns are for accuracy and strength as far as I am concerned. Speed of running the bolt is not a real issue to me,
Always nice to see new designs at price friendly for the working class folks.
For all types of hunting, the first shot is always the best one. Concentrate and make the first one count.

The ambidextrous feature is pretty cool. Never seen a bolt gun where you can flip sides. Great feature!
With that said I feel safer with my bolt guns that turn and lock-in. They only take a millisecond longer to chamber another round.

I`m a little concerned Savage is going so many different ways that they might get away from what their good at. They provide a great firearms at a fair price, love their barrels. Back in the day they went all over the place and caused themselves some business troubles then they went back to doing what they have always been good at. Always liked savage. The .308 I got my son feels better in my hands then my Weatherby, but that too is a nice centerfire rifle. Just my thoughts, good day!

Changi g the subject a little bit, but has anybody heard or seen anything about the 110 timberline? Supposedly they've been available for a little while but I can't find anything as far as first hand experience

Back